Running Flashers with spoons?

Running Flashers with spoons?

Are there a lot of guys that run spoons behind flashers? What is the reason for doing this?

As some of you may know I’m big into Walleye fishing. I have hundreds of Michigan Stinger Scorpion spoons and Josh for red hook tackle was kind enough to let me try out his proto type Raider Walleye Spoons last year (which took the big fish last year in the “2005 Walleye War†St. Joseph River Tournament) but any ways here’s my thought, I was thinking of running these small spoons this spring for Coho and Browns behind a 4†flasher and was wondering what kind of action I would get on these spoons? Would it just spin the spoon around in a circle or would a get a good fluttering action?

Steve

I have never tryed it in the spring for browns and such but I have run spoons behind hoochies in the summer for kings with mixed results. I pretty much only go this route when things are slow and I start experimenting. I have caught fish this way but found you need to have at least a 3' lead behind the flasher. I feel you get way to much spin on the spoon with any shorter lead.

For the most part I agree with what Matt says. I've used the smaller (I think size 0) dodgers in the spring in front of both flies and spoons. The leader length is about 3 foot as Matt stated. I wouldn't say they work all the time, but like anything else if it produces one fish its worth trying

Here is a suprise...I'm sure you all can't believe it...but.....I disagree.

I run my spoons just as tight to the flasher as my flies and we have pretty darn good sucess out of it.

But what the heck..........hehe...Never tried the little flashers and spoons however....

Wayne I would think that using the old tin lurh jenson dodgers with a spoon might not be as effective as running a spoon behind a more aggressive rotating flasher.

Heck a dreamweaver Mag probably weighs more than the tin flasher....

But those rotators will really whip that spoon around. I like using a silver streak mag blueberry muffin behind a green fishcatcher w/ glow crush. With a leader about 18" long.

Good Luck my fellow fisherman....

I do have to add this quick note however, to whomever listens to me. Both the fellows that have posted above me are better fisherman than me.

I do have to add this quick note however, to whomever listens to me. Both the fellows that have posted above me are better fisherman than me.

Well I am going to have to disagree with you on this one Jim. You have definitly proven yourself more than once.:D

I myself have never tryed running spoons of off flashers or dodgers simply because I very rarely run them. Never cared for them simply for the fact that they are so speed sensitive and you have to match the rest of your spread to the slower speeds. If I run any type of attractor it is a hoochie or spin doctor, but I did start to play around with the kingfisher attractor's last year a little.

Thanks Matt,

I agree with you on teh dodger thing. The old school tin cans are VERY speed sensitive.

But when I say flashers I mean things like the Opti, Spindoctor, Kingfisher, Fishcatcher, Coyote, and yaddi yaddi yaddi...

The "rotating flahsers" will tolerate the vast range of speeds. That is what I use with a spoon.

:) Man there's some smoke blowing around here Jim. :):eek::P

As for the tin cans, I used then when i fished the other side of the lake back some years ago, I've been out of teh big lake stuff for about 6 years, alot of the current stuff we use now was hard to find if even on the shelf then. I like the fish catchers better than the older stuff myself.

Yes, a stinger behind an 8" flasher. A stinger magnum behind a 11" coyote. Match the flasher and spoon and a little extra leader than a fly and with ball bearing swivel.

The tin can was deadly last year with a white and green fly. When they run too fast they act like a flasher. 2.4 mph is about tops though.

For walleye a mag spoon as a flasher in front of a smaller spoon or harness sounds like a great idea!