What do you run behind your main divers. You can chouse more than 1  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What do you run behind your main divers. You can chouse more than 1

• Flasher/Fly
    • Flasher/Meat
    • Cleen spoon
    • J-plug

Flasher and MEAT!

Three years runnning the biggest Kings on my boat have come on Wire Diver/Meat Rig set-up. Its not always the most productive rod on the boat.....but it almost always produces the biggest fish each trip, especially during the mid-day period.

6 out of 7 of the tourneys I fish each year are big-fish events, so its not always about numbers for me!

I had a very unpleasant incident running meat and a big flasher on my wire diver. Completely my fault, but i still am hesitant to try it again.

I ran my meat rig behind a standard 8" flasher with good luck. off the wire last year.

Flasher and MEAT!

Three years runnning the biggest Kings on my boat have come on Wire Diver/Meat Rig set-up. Its not always the most productive rod on the boat.....but it almost always produces the biggest fish each trip, especially during the mid-day period.

6 out of 7 of the tourneys I fish each year are big-fish events, so its not always about numbers for me!

I got to go with you on this one John. The only rod that produced more than my wire with the meat last year was my full core down the chute with the pro chip purple plaid with the purple haze rig behind it.

That fake meat does not work for me either....we make our own meat strips soaked in the special sauce.

Hey Nailer, Check this link out. This guy is the ultimate "guru" when it comes to Meat Fishing and there is a TON of great info on his site.!

http://www.michigansportsman.com/Tips_n_Trix/Cut_Bait.htm

I use Whole Herring prepared similar to the way described in the link. The side of the herring with the tail left on outproduces the other side 5-1.

1 thing I have learned about running Meat Rigs is if your gonna run meat...RUN MEAT. Throwing 1 rig down may catch a few fish but the point of meat fishing is to add the smell of the bait to the water. We commonly run 2 meat rigs off the chute riggers and 2 more off Wire Divers, mostly behind 10" Spin Doctors or 11" Kingfishers. 4 meat rigs puts off a lot of scent and a lot of disturbance behind your boat and more rods are not nessasary. Many times thats all we'll run unless its midday and we have a few Steelhead lines out on the big boards.

BIG FISH love meat!! And you get very few Shakers if any. :)

Dont know if it will continue again this year....but Gander Mountain in Marquette carries the "green label" whole herring in stock every year. Or you can order it online through many retailers. Search "fish on bait company" for info. I belive Calumet Marine in the Chicago area also carries and ships fresh herring.

I usually buy a case each year, or go in with a few guys on a bulk load at the beggining of the year and make enough strips up to last all season. If you wait until July to try to find it....you wont!

One thing to think about is the attractor. if you have good meat and a small flasher you will not get the proper action. What you are looking for is a roll abouth the diameter of a softball, with a whip at the end. If you use a small dodger or attractor you might as well not run meat at all. Running a bigger attractor is crucial to get the proper SPIN and WHIP.I have been prepping bait for about four years with excellent success.

Dan Audette

moonshine lures prostaff

One thing to think about is the attractor. if you have good meat and a small flasher you will not get the proper action. What you are looking for is a roll abouth the diameter of a softball, with a whip at the end. If you use a small dodger or attractor you might as well not run meat at all. Running a bigger attractor is crucial to get the proper SPIN and WHIP.I have been prepping bait for about four years with excellent success.

Dan Audette

moonshine lures prostaff

I've read that a few times. Is a 11' protroll a good choice than? I also have a few 11" Coyote flashers that have been good to me.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Nailer, Check this link out. This guy is the ultimate "guru" when it comes to Meat Fishing and there is a TON of great info on his site.!

http://www.michigansportsman.com/Tips_n_Trix/Cut_Bait.htm

I use Whole Herring prepared similar to the way described in the link. The side of the herring with the tail left on outproduces the other side 5-1.

. :)

I used the same site to learn more about meat and when i have run it i find the same thing tail on is the best piece to use