37 members have voted

1. 1. What depth temp and speed system do you use

• Fish Hawk 840
    • Fish Hawk X-4
    • Sub Troll
    • Cannon old style
    • Cannon New style
    • Depth Raider

All right, I have been reading "Keating on Kings" now for the past two days.

the one thing that he states over and over again temp & depth, temp & depth.

this is the biggest thing I am missing for my spring slaughter of kings, a depth, speed & temp sytem.:(

So with that, I'm think the next major investment needs to be a depth temp and speed system.

Now - I have read alot of post already on the site.

what is going to give me the biggest bang for my bucks.

a used Fish Hawk 840?

a new Fish Hawk X-4?

Sub-Troll? (from what I read I like this unit the best):)

a used Cannon?

The new & improved Cannon?

Depth Raider?

so I either need to add this type of a system or just get on the radio and beg for information on the temp break.

There was an 840 on my boat when I bought it. You will get a lot of opinions on what unit is the best. If you are still setting up, and need other gear, I'd postpone getting one. They are a handy tool but not required to catch fish. Your Sonar F/F will show you where the fish are. The bend in your Dipsy rods, and downrigger blow back will tell you if your speed is in the ball park. It's good to learn the old fashioned way, before going high tech.

It's nice to know where the the thermocline is but if you ask someone will probably tell you.

I like the new Fish Hawk.:)

If someone tries to unload an old 840 on you, punch them in the face and run away before they stick that POS in your pocket when you aren't looking.

I used to have one of those, nothing good to say about it. I now have a depth raider and love it. You'll hear people whining about the coated cable, but it really is no big deal. Personally, I'd rather have the coated cable than drill more holes in my transom below the water line to install ANOTHER transducer.

The Sub Troll and Depth Raider are essentially the same unit, the only difference is an analog vs digital display, so between the two, it is simply a matter of personal preference.

Tim

Depth Raider about to enter it's 5th season I will use it till it dies no issues. However The new X4 is a great unit and cannon offers actual depth at the ball which is a pls for dialing in your other gear as well. All have their plus's and minus's I have not seen the new Cannon probe yet so can't comment on it I have seen the X4 probe on Mikes boat with the old display and it worked great and have seen the X4 as a complete unit on another boat also worked great. Depth Raider Sub Troll and Cannon all use coated cable which can be a PITA. The Depth Raider kinda rocked the T&S probe world as they came in with the smallest probe (least blowback) smallest digital display, and the lowest price. Those are the things that sold me when I bought it and yep I had a tough learning curve getting used to it but I don't regret any of it, it puts more fish in the box trip after trip.

This like asking whats better, "coke or pepsi" or "miller lite or bud light"

everyone has there own favorite. If you look at some of the older posts, some guys are very passionate about their feelings as well. Its all personal preference.

I personally had bad luck with the Fishhawk 840 that came with my boat when i bought it. Two summers ago i switched to a Depth Raider and have been very happy with its performance. The Fishhawk X-4 and the new Cannon are very appealing to me, but have no reason to try them right now.

I have fished on many boats with the Sub-troll and don't like it as much as my Depth Raider. The probe is larger and it seems to me to have more of a delay in speed readings.

Then again I like Pepsi alot more then Coke and am a die hard Miller Lite drinker.

We have the fish hawk X4 now we had the 840 on the boat for good to 12 years and had nothing bad to say about it. But the x4 is sweet the probe is smaller wich calls for less drag and the head unit is really nice when your setting rods in the dark and can see what the temp in from the helm to the stern.

I have the 840 with the new probe as well. My old probe took on water when I did not notice the seal had slipped out when changing batteries. The new unit only went through 8 AA's all year last year. i put a lot of hours on that thing and it works great.

I have the Fishhawk X4 and it's great, never used anything else so I cannot give my opinion on anything but what I have now.. Mike Talked me into the x4 and I'm glad the wife bought it for me from Fish On... It's clear and it's so easy to use, minumum blow back, and the batteries ahve lasted 2 seasons.... 4 AA batteries...and we have trolled for many hours at a time... using the x4.... i Love It.

Im kinda with frank on this one, ive been fishing the great lakes for close to 35 yrs. and have never used one.

Call me old school if you wish but paying attention to your divers ,riggers and fish finder will tell you more than you need to now.

But i have seen the depth raider in use and it seems to do a good job.

If you are still setting up, and need other gear, I'd postpone getting one. They are a handy tool but not required to catch fish. Your Sonar F/F will show you where the fish are. It's good to learn the old fashioned way, before going high tech. It's nice to know where the the thermocline is but if you ask someone will probably tell you. I like the new Fish Hawk.:)

I'm with you on this one Frank.

...I look at blow-back to tell me whether I'm trolling with or against a current.

...Hum of the riggers tells me where my speed is or I set up a thumper rod down the chute.

...Fish finders used to show a thermocline easily, but since the lakes have cleaned up, not so well. Or maybe it's just that my settings are wrong.

...When I catch a fish, it tells me what they like and where they are. Just because at times the fish that I catch don't show up on the fishfinder.

If I had everything else I needed, my choice would be the Fish Hawk X4. Since I don't have one, I did not vote in this poll.

The one thing I would not give up is my GPS.

Well I think I might just hold out for one more season.

went without one last summer (1st year) about a dozen trips out I was able to haul in 60+ fish and only had one skunk.

we did watch the wire on the riggers and the bend in our divers.

if this works again, I'll stick to the old school. I already have two FF on board so that should help.

I completely agree with relying on cable blow back/diver rods/etc for judging speed. I grew up working with an old school captain who after 40 years of chartering still does not have any sort of down speed sensor. The times my depth raider has helped me is on those "tough" days and with difficult currents. It helps me catch fish in all directions once i have figured out the speed that is working. sometimes the differance in bites can be .1 or.2 mph. that is nearly impossible to judge by watching the bend in your diver rods.

I completely agree with relying on cable blow back/diver rods/etc for judging speed. I grew up working with an old school captain who after 40 years of chartering still does not have any sort of down speed sensor. The times my depth raider has helped me is on those "tough" days and with difficult currents. It helps me catch fish in all directions once i have figured out the speed that is working. sometimes the differance in bites can be .1 or.2 mph. that is nearly impossible to judge by watching the bend in your diver rods.

I agree Josh. I fished with Jon most of the time last year, and that's just what we did. I still have a "Fish Finder" temp meter that can be dropped down to find the temp break.

For me it is more about finding the temp I want to run rather than actual down speed. I want to know what the current is doing below me and knowing the speed helps with that. But mostly getting out of non productive water makes the biggest difference. There are certain temp patterns I always look for and some temp zones I pretty much avoid even if I see a few fish in it cause very likely they are not going to be active.

finding the temp break is what I really am missing. like ken stated I'm ok when he is with me and I have his pocket temp gage. I just have not been able to find a gizmo like his.

A quick call on the marine radio and you can find the temp break. Before I had a S & T unit this is what I use to do. ;)

finding the temp break is what I really am missing. like ken stated I'm ok when he is with me and I have his pocket temp gage. I just have not been able to find a gizmo like his.

They stopped making them. You can use mine this summer Jon.

I have a Sub-Troll and my buddy has a Depth Raider. If you decide to go with the coated cable in stead of another transducer and less price, I like using both. I decided to save the money and buy the Sub-Troll because it was on sale for a little less than the Depth Raider. I do like the smaller probe and smaller display on the Depth Raider and would probably go that route if I have to again. If anything the probes give you one more thing to play with and one more thing to talk about if nothing is happening. Come on spring!

Im kinda with frank on this one, ive been fishing the great lakes for close to 35 yrs. and have never used one.

Call me old school if you wish but paying attention to your divers ,riggers and fish finder will tell you more than you need to now.

But i have seen the depth raider in use and it seems to do a good job.

I agree 100%. I have had my subtroll on my boat for 5 years now and last year I only put the probe on once. Found I did better paying attention to my rigger cables and divers and the pitch of the engine. Funny how your ears tune into that. Its nice to know the temp but that is about it. and You can spend alot less just to know that.

I have an old Fishhawk. Happy with it, but thinking about buying the new probe. The battery issue is a pain with the old probe. The new cannon seems good. I like the depth feature, but I'm not a coated cable fan. Combining Cannon link - downrigger - speed, temp, depth combo with a hummigbird unit I have is tempting. How well does it work together and how helpfull is it?

Thanks,

Rod

Which ever brand you go with.....trust me, you will never want to fish without one again. Its just like an autopilot...lots of guys say they dont need one or its not worth it. (usually because they dont have one) But once you put one on your boat, you will never want to go without it again.

You could take my GPS before you take my Depth Raider. Watching rod angles gets you close....watching my Depth Raider gets me EXACT. That makes all the difference in the world some days.

• 2 weeks later...
Well I think I might just hold out for one more season.

went without one last summer (1st year) about a dozen trips out I was able to haul in 60+ fish and only had one skunk.

we did watch the wire on the riggers and the bend in our divers.

if this works again, I'll stick to the old school. I already have two FF on board so that should help.

I see your from dorr what port do you most fish? holland or port sheldon? is so give me a holler on the radio i would be more than willing to help. i just put a subtroll on last year and love it. dad had a fish hawk that was a pita.