Dive Bombs

I have yet to use or be with someone using dive bomb add on weights. I would like input from those of you who have. I am thinking of getting a few to use on my copper rigs for more depth on my longest rig (300ft of 45#) and to mimic other productive lengths such as trying to simulate a 200ft with a shorter length that is not working. Are there accurate guidelines out there on what weights to use for specific applications?

I have been running Dive Bombs since they came out. They are a great way of having a versatile arsenal without having to have 20 rods in your boat.

Here is an instruction video on how to use them.

The depth chart for them is in the current precission trollers guide. Through my own personal testing with them, I achieved 6-8' of depth per oz of lead.

They will work on any line. However, the larger copper makes it hard to get the pin in.

I have a couple of 2oz and 4oz divebombs on the boat. They arent something i run all the time but more in desperation to achieve a certain depth with copper or leadcore. They have put fish in the boat that otherwise i would not of been able to catch. I feel they steal some of the "waving" action that lead and copper have so if you find yourself using them often then it may be time to buy a rig that reaches the fish alittle better. Mikes video is great, check it out.

I have used them since they came out it is hard to say what depth they acheive as it will vary depending on setup. I find that added to a core it adds abut 1 color per ounce if the core is used as normal and the dive bomb is near the end of the core however put the dive bomb near the front of the core and let it out 50 ft or so behind the boards and it will act more like the dive charts plus the core depth behind it

I have used them since they came out it is hard to say what depth they acheive as it will vary depending on setup. I find that added to a core it adds abut 1 color per ounce if the core is used as normal and the dive bomb is near the end of the core however put the dive bomb near the front of the core and let it out 50 ft or so behind the boards and it will act more like the dive charts plus the core depth behind it

When you say "front" are you talking closest to the spoon, or closest to the rod?

sorry for me front is closest to the rod back is closest to the lure to me the best gain is putting it on the forward section of core or the backer in front of the core. However this requires you to let out much more backer to gain depth. at that point you can use the precision trolling guide as a reference as to how deep the Dive Bomb is and then add for the core behind it much like running lures that dive behind snap weights. Since getting the dive bombs I seldom run my snap weights any more. The further you get them from the board the deeper they run however I prefer to run them more towards the rod end so as to not lose the lead core action. Also I hate removing anything at the leader with a fish on too many bad things happen at the back of the boat to add more to it.

Stinger recommends running the Dive Bomb in the middle of the lead core. To get the max depth, they need to have lots of line out. This is why I attach them right after the leader when sending them out.

Having a 50-70' leader between the spoon and lead core gives plenty of room to remove the dive bomb without having issues at the back of the boat.

I agree completely Mike but you lose the natural lead core action to gain the depth I have found so far that in 60 ft of water with a full core and dive bomb on the leader end it hits bottom every time and I can't run it that way untill I hit 75 of water then it will bump now and then on turns. But put the same 4 oz dive bomb on the front and let it back around 50 ft behind the board and I can pull it in 60fow with it bumping on turns so I know it is working the bottom. Again we all troll slightly differant and I tend to run pretty fast so numbers that work for me won't really work for every one else.

The main advantage of leadcore is stealth. It puts your baits in the strike zone a long ways away from the boat.

I dont disagree with the leadcore "snaking" through the water. The snake affect is in the turns. However, everyone is running a 50-100' leader between the leadcore and the spoon anyways.....right? With a 50-100' leader, how much of an affect does the lead core snaking through the water really have on the bait?

When making turns, the outside lines with a dive bomb on do not follow around like a leadcore line without one. Depending on the turn, it pulls more towards the center of the turn because of the extra drag. On the turns, it seems like my rods that have the dive bombs are usually the ones that fire. Maybe its the weight being closer to the bait causing it to drop faster on an inside turn, or it making a sharper turn on the outside line because it is making a shaper turn instead of following the boat around. I am not sure....but it works for me.

The only time I do not run the dive bomb next to the leader is when I am running multiple dive bombs on the same side. When I am running multiple dive bombs on the same side, I keep the dive bomb the same distance from the boards.

The main advantage of leadcore is stealth. It puts your baits in the strike zone a long ways away from the boat.

I dont disagree with the leadcore "snaking" through the water. The snake affect is in the turns. However, everyone is running a 50-100' leader between the leadcore and the spoon anyways.....right? With a 50-100' leader, how much of an affect does the lead core snaking through the water really have on the bait?

When making turns, the outside lines with a dive bomb on do not follow around like a leadcore line without one. Depending on the turn, it pulls more towards the center of the turn because of the extra drag. On the turns, it seems like my rods that have the dive bombs are usually the ones that fire. Maybe its the weight being closer to the bait causing it to drop faster on an inside turn, or it making a sharper turn on the outside line because it is making a shaper turn instead of following the boat around. I am not sure....but it works for me.

The only time I do not run the dive bomb next to the leader is when I am running multiple dive bombs on the same side. When I am running multiple dive bombs on the same side, I keep the dive bomb the same distance from the boards.

Not me I never run a leader over 50 ft and prefer 30.

Crap , I must be doing something wrong , I only have been using 20 feet of leader between the spoon and the core

Your not doing anything wrong! 20-30' is perfect. Go much longer and your bait will be riding up in the water column above where it should be because of the drag against the extra line. 50' is almost too long, and 100' is WAY to long. I have never even seen anyone run a 100' leader? There is no need for that much leader(unless you really enjoy cranking up an extra 100' of line every time) You also lose the "effect" the lead core has on the bait with a leader that long.

Also, running a snap weight(or dive bomb) 50' infront of your bait and behind all the lead defeats the biggest advantage of leadcore(its action). Thats why they reccomend you hook the dive bombs half way up the lead. That way you still get the "leadcore" effect on the bait. Leadcore gets your bait far away from the boat for a reason. If you dont want to crank all that line in, then just run a straight mono rod with a heaiver drop weight or dive bomb.