What length of leadcore?

I am getting my equipment all setup to start next season and would like to add two leadcore rigs to my boat. I am starting with two because of my boat size and I only ever fish with one other partner so I dont want to put all my eggs on lead until I can get it to work. My question is what two lengths should I run? I was thinking of running a 2 color and 8 color setup. What would you guys run if you only could have two? Also will 8 colors of 27# fit on a tekota 600 with backer?

I only have 10 color lead cores. I know this is considered a big "no no" by most, but i have never had a problem with it. I clip my board on what ever color i want to run. The offshore snapper releases i run has never damaged the leadcore. Even with the Church boards and releases i used to run I never had a problem. Side note: Some guys by me have added the snapper release to their church boards with a little modification. The only down side to doing this is the bow in the line from the rod to the board if you are running a short lead core. I would rather deal with that and only have 4 leadcore rods instead of 10 separate leadcore set ups.

2 color and 5 color are 2 of my favs 2 color great early and as a SWR ran below a deep rigger 5 color great early and a late season steelhead setup this would leave you a possible 3 color setup off one full core. early season 8 would be too deep and late summer would be too shallow

If I had to choose I would go with a 2 color and a 10 color. Like Jim said 2 colors work great for SWR's and steelhead. Our full core has our best producing core throughout the summer for us. As far as using your tekota's go, I wouldn't put more than a 5 or 6 color on the 600s. If you wanted to spool up a 8 or a 10 color I would go with a 700.

Where do you fish Chris? On the MI side, I have had really good luck with a 4,7, and 10 colors. Of course if you chose two of those you need to start with 2 core instead of one.

I think the 600 is too small for 8 colors- not enough backing. Check out GLF's post with backing estimator. I just put line on a reel and it was within a few yards of the estimate.

Some short cores can be made to run deeper when needed. Snap weights or Dive Bombs can put a half core to the depth that a full core runs. GLF is the Guru on the Dive Bombs. The one draw back is removing the weight while fighting the fish. :)

I would go with a 2 and a 5 color for what you have. With a 5 color and a 4oz dive bomb, its the same thing as a full core. ;)

Advantage of add on weights.

Its easier to store a dozen weights than to store a dozen rods.

You can make your 2 core rods almost any core with adding a weight.

The only down side about add on weights is that you have to remove them before you can get the fish close enough to net.

When using add on weights, you should have them at least 50' in front of your bait. You dont want to try and remove a weight from the line when the fish is at the back of the boat. This is a good way to get everything tangled. ;)

The only down side about add on weights is that you have to remove them before you can get the fish close enough to net.

Also keep in mind when letting drop weights out they sink faster then a full lead line.....If you let it out really fast and clip a board on there and send it out, you run risk or getting wrapped up in your riggers or divers depending on conditions. Just something to keep in mind.

Thanks for all the input, I still have some deciding to do but sounds like I should at least have one full core and the other either be a 2 or 5. Also I fish the Michigan side of the lake between Ludington and New Buffalo. I pull my boat every time out as I only have a 20 footer so I can go to different ports.

What is your preferred rod for running lead? I was gonna go with the taloras as I have been impressed with them before but I can get heartlands or okumas much cheaper. I dont think I would have to have a specific leadcore rod either would I?

Most of your med, med-heavy, rigger rods will work. Some like to have a shorter (7') rod. The shorter rod makes taking the board off easier.

I bought 6 of these rods, and really like the way they feel. They also have big eyelets that allow the core knots to slide through easier.

I have found that running the dive bombs half way up the lead works the best for me and taking them off during a battle is literally, 1 second. I have 2- 3 color cores and 2- 10 color cores. I have also never had a problem using offshores clipped on the lead.

What model number releases do you guys use on the offshore boards?

I like using the OR 19 clips on the front and the OR 16's on the back. The 16's are supposed to be for snap weights but they work great for boards as well. Many guys are also using the adjustable OR 18's as well but I have not tried them yet.