Reel Fill Calculator

GLF

• 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Two questions:

1. Regarding Note #3 directing the user to always use Berk. Big Game line diameters.

Question: Is there any reason I can't use the exact line diameter from the manufacturer if they specify capacity in MM line diameter/Meters Capacity?  I would just need to convert millimeters to inches and meters to yards correct?

2. The calculator is designed for Copper/Lead core mainlines.  Can I use the calculator to estimate a reel set up with mono backing, braided mainline, and flourocarbon Leader? Is there something to the calculations/formulas specific to copper/leadcore lines?

3 hours ago, VTECHokie said:

Two questions:

1. Regarding Note #3 directing the user to always use Berk. Big Game line diameters.

Question: Is there any reason I can't use the exact line diameter from the manufacturer if they specify capacity in MM line diameter/Meters Capacity?  I would just need to convert millimeters to inches and meters to yards correct?

2. The calculator is designed for Copper/Lead core mainlines.  Can I use the calculator to estimate a reel set up with mono backing, braided mainline, and flourocarbon Leader? Is there something to the calculations/formulas specific to copper/leadcore lines?

Regarding Note #3:  If the fishing reel you have states for example 300 M / 0.45 mm, you can use that info - but convert it to Yards and inches.  So 300m x 1.09 = 336 yards.  0.45 mm / 25.4 = 0.0177 inches.

Regarding using other line types.  It isn't specific to line type.  The red text boxes that say Backing/Core/Leader can be changed to say whatever you want.  Just as long as you type in a diameter and a length in the respective boxes, it should work.