Camera choice

I have 2, but the one I use most is, a Canon 40d. Buying the camera body is the cheep part. Lenses, flash and all the other goodies really add up. I use a 17-40L for the Fish and Landscape shots. It's great going back through the old photos and seeing how much every one has changed.

Go ahead and post some of your work Jeff.

Two summers ago I came across a Canon rebel xsi for $300 which brought me into the DSLR world. I figured not a huge investment and wouldn't be leery of bringing it on the boat. Little did i know at that time how much a good lens was gonna cost me. Its not quite the quality of the cameras you guys are using, but i already feel uneducated enough. Even using the stock lens, the pictures are outstanding. Now i hate having to take pictures with my wife's regular Canon digital camera. Once you go DSLR, you'll never go back!

I have the Canon G9. It is not an SLR, but it takes amazing pictures. I think that the person taking the picture makes all of the difference. Understand composition. Any camera can take a good "picture" if the person taking it takes a moment to set it up correctly. We cannot afford a big SLR, because we bought a boat ... so worth it. So my 12 mega-pixel Canon G9 will have to do for now. I wish I had a sweet camera like you guys. Remember ... it is not the camera but the shot. And if it is a picture of your big, huge king ... it does not matter :-)

~The Wifey

I use olypmus camera. I have a c5060 my wife a sp-350. we use them mostly for scuba in housings. What i have learned is if the company designs that camera for underwater use, they typically have a larger ccd processor in the camera, whether it is point and shoot or dslr. The bigger processor makes a huge difference in your pics where there is odd lighting. thats why the cameras for scuba typically have the better processors. I went with my olys because they had the best reputation when i was getting into underwater photography. Now nikon is producing cameras of equal caliber. I say if it has a scuba housing even if it is a 5 meg camera it will take a near dslr quality pics above water. the one problem is dslr is so much faster. no lag time. with the refresh rate on dslr you can practically take pics as quick as you can push the botton, It also depends on the person taking the pic and how much control your camera lets you have over the settings, and how much you know how to set the camera up right for the pic. underwater cameras let you have complete control of all settings light metering speed white balancing etc etc.. so you dont have to buy a dslr to take great magazine quailty shots.

edit:

My next camera when this one floods (its not if it will it when it will) will be a olympus e-520

I use olypmus camera. I have a c5060 my wife a sp-350. we use them mostly for scuba in housings. What i have learned is if the company designs that camera for underwater use, they typically have a larger ccd processor in the camera, whether it is point and shoot or dslr. The bigger processor makes a huge difference in your pics where there is odd lighting. thats why the cameras for scuba typically have the better processors. I went with my olys because they had the best reputation when i was getting into underwater photography. Now nikon is producing cameras of equal caliber. I say if it has a scuba housing even if it is a 5 meg camera it will take a near dslr quality pics above water. the one problem is dslr is so much faster. no lag time. with the refresh rate on dslr you can practically take pics as quick as you can push the botton, It also depends on the person taking the pic and how much control your camera lets you have over the settings, and how much you know how to set the camera up right for the pic. underwater cameras let you have complete control of all settings light metering speed white balancing etc etc.. so you dont have to buy a dslr to take great magazine quailty shots.

edit:

My next camera when this one floods (its not if it will it when it will) will be a olympus e-520

Aaron, have you got any underwater shots you can share here?

Ok while sitting here at work, working real hard i remembered i had a yahoo photo account. I had to update it to flikr. Now these pics on my flikr account are for about 6-7 years ago and uploaded 3 years ago and when i was first learning how to use my first underwater digital camera underwater. Now some of the pics arent great but i only had the camera for a couple months before we went and had never used it underwater. I just practiced in all light conditions inside and outside practicing the manual settings. I was using all manual settings, setting the white balance for depth correction (cause as we all know the deeper an object the more color loss) and messing a little with the flash. these pics were taken from 35 ft down to 93 foot down at the sand plateau before the drop to 900 feet. enjoy and i will post some later form our last trip.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scubaaaronh/sets/72157603011641392/show/with/1921207822/

When i was a young man i made one of the smartest decishions i have made in my life and i enlisted in the navy.and for punishiment they stationed me for three years on Key West,as one of the things to do there was snorkeling i loved it,saw many different kinds of fish and many other things that you will never see in freshwater. I have long since gave up snorkeling for reasons that now seam trivial except that i would not even come close to seeing the same kind of senery that i once did in the carabian.

those pics really brought that back for me thanks man.

Randy

When i was a young man i made one of the smartest decishions i have made in my life and i enlisted in the navy.and for punishiment they stationed me for three years on Key West,as one of the things to do there was snorkeling i loved it,saw many different kinds of fish and many other things that you will never see in freshwater. I have long since gave up snorkeling for reasons that now seam trivial except that i would not even come close to seeing the same kind of senery that i once did in the carabian.

those pics really brought that back for me thanks man.

Randy

I was just like you.

I also elisted in the navy after high school. They gave me 3 years of shore duty in San Diego after all of my schooling. I took up scuba diving while I was there.

I was attached to a training squadron and use to go out on Carrier Qualifications with the new pilots. I made it out on 5 different aircraft carriers in those 3 years.

I use to scuba dive in San Diego and can relate to some of those images. I once grabbed an octopus for a second, and then it grabbed me. :eek: I use to go lobstering also. I was about to reach in one hole to grab a lobster when a morey eel popped up out of the hole. Glad I did not put my hand in that one. :eek: I had a lobster in my bag already and broke it in half and decided to try and feed it. I saw someone do it in a scuba diving magazine so I figured it was OK. Luckly nothing happened to me while I fed it the lobster tail. I wish someone I dived with or myself had a camera back then. Now they are just memories.

Thanks for sharing the pictures.....it brought back lots of memories.

Thank you very much. the scorpion fish i actually almost knelt on trying to get a pic of a free swimming moray. when i get a chance i am going to get more uploaded i have been a ltiile busy today. you know it is never to late to come back to diving or snorkling. i have had to take a short break with have our little one but hopefully next winter we will be diving eith nassau bahamas or cozumel mexico so more new pics coming up again and hopefully on a new camera. As far as snorkling on cancun make it a point to go. if you go over to www.scubaboard.com go to the mexico area and do a little reading you can find some really good ops to take you.

sorry for the hijak of this thread by the way.

Wow those are some great pic.

My wife and I are going to cancun in about a month ,I hope i can talk her in to trying snorkaling just to see something like that.

Thanks for shareing.

There are some inexpensive cameras that do really well for snorkling they are waterproof to like 10 ft. here is som olys that are available:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp?section=stylustough

talk her into it it is worth it. sit her donw and run my slide show for her maybe that will help. have fun there and be carful.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just bought a Panasonic FH-20. I have to admit I don't know anything about digital cameras. I just had 180.00$ as my cap and looked up something with good reviews and am winging it. I guess its alittle late but is this a good camera? Thanks in advance, Chris.

I just bought a Panasonic FH-20. I have to admit I don't know anything about digital cameras. I just had 180.00$ as my cap and looked up something with good reviews and am winging it. I guess its alittle late but is this a good camera? Thanks in advance, Chris.

I don't know much about it, but the reviews are good.