Linwood Ice Report

Was just down to Linwood and the wind has opened the ice up at the crack out there. Couldnt see ice beyond it for the big waves.:rolleyes: Was open from NP all the way south to St. Park....Not good, ecspecially with the winds forcasted SW and strong through Friday.

Just thought id let ya'll know.

Boy, its hard to say. Its the big water and is very unpredictable. I wll say that with the right conditions it can freeze up quickly...but you gotta get the right conditions. Calm and Cold and no snow. As it is, the heart of the bay has pretty much blown out now. Lotta open holes etc on there that are visible and the sat. view isnt totally clear.

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/modis.cgi/modis?region=h&page=1&template=subℑ=t1.10027.1623.LakeHuron.143.250m.jpg

Theres still ice out to 12-14' off Linwood, but i would not attempt it at all until this wind quits. It can break off at shore and go for a ride as well.

If you're not going that's warning enough for me to stay off... When this wind dies off and it gets cold it could/should refreeze in hurry since the water is cold to begin. I have not made one trip to the bay, other than at the mouth, which wasn't far enough out to even be considered the bay, so I am really chomping at the bit to go, but with all the trouble that's been had on the bay i'm gun shy

Yup, it opened up up there Frank. Off of Whites Beach/Palmer Rd. area it opened up in 3' of water. Go up around to Hale Rd./M-65 i heard it opened up in 8' of water, or about a mile out. This wind is wreaking havoc out there, stay off it. Big wind and big water is nothing to joke around with. Dont know why people cant understand that. Saw two off Boutell Rd last night and one off Linwood Rd. Noone wants out there more than me, but its just not gonna happen. I know better!!!

This really sucks!! I havent had a chance to get out yet this yr and now it may not happen!!! I guess i'll just have to put a whippen on them come open water!! ....LOL!!!

Scott

Scott, If this warm spell keeps the bomber off the ice, there may be a few eyes left for us come ice out.:lol: Come on Spring.:)

Scott, If this warm spell keeps the bomber off the ice, there may be a few eyes left for us come ice out.:lol: Come on Spring.:)

:no::lol:...Theres allot of em out there Frank thats for sure and allot with some sore teeth and gums. They may look a little harder at your offering come spring as i wised em up a bit.:lol:

:no::lol:...Theres allot of em out there Frank thats for sure and allot with some sore teeth and gums. They may look a little harder at your offering come spring as i wised em up a bit.:lol:

All I can say is, "Gotta Luv Dat Bay".:) Go get em when it's safe.:)

I guess that you guys will have to load up and drive up to the UP. We have good ice now but it may not last too long. Every time that I go out up here I think that it will be the last time. I have been very cautious and I really watch the weather and wind. Most of the time I am within 200 feet of shore. I do not know if L Michigan ever froze as I have been fishing on Huron

If somebody is really itching to go out ice fishing. I will be going out this weeekend for steelhead. It is supposed to be a little cold but the fishing should be good. Post a reply or you can call me (906) 643 - 8630. You will have to meet me in St Ignace from there it is about a 5 mile drive. At least you know that you will be on safe ice.

LOL!! Yeah but theres been alot less walleye caught this winter then last winter!! I dont know how the fishing can get any better out there but it does!! I think theres going to be alot nicer fish this yr as well!! Come On spring!!:D

Scott

LOL!! Yeah but theres been alot less walleye caught this winter then last winter!! I dont know how the fishing can get any better out there but it does!! I think theres going to be alot nicer fish this yr as well!! Come On spring!!:D

Scott

it does seem to be getting better & better. these will be the days i refer to as the good ol' days

these will be the days i refer to as the good ol' days

Yes, these are good days indeed for the bay fishery. Absolutely outstanding. The good ole days I remember include fantastic perch fishing at Pt. Austin in the 70's where we could fill 5 gal pails with jumbo perch. The great salmon fishing we had at Harrisville when you could almost count on a limit trolling the shallows in the fall. Oh yes, lets not forget the yearly alewife wash-up on the shores that used to happen every spring giving the lakes a smell of fishyness.

Now the big game is indeed the walleye fishing but I still ply the waters for the salmon and lakers. There is still something that gets to my blood when reeling in a nice King or pulling in a hard pounding laker from the depths.