Lead vs copper?

This may be a strange question, but I have never fished with wire. what is the difference between lead & copper?

I have two lead rigs on my boat and have fished them with decent success. I also rigged up a lead leader system for my long lines when the fish are down 10 - 15 feet in the spring, and they seem to produce very well.

My question is;

What are the advantages of using copper wire vs lead? Has anyone switched out because one was better than the other?

Thanks,

JC

I have 4 core setups that I run with a fair amount of success, but I to am wondering if there are any advantages to copper over the lead.

I currently run a 10, 8, 6, and a 4 core. At times I wish I was running a little deeper but really don't want to run a 16 core. Since I do want that extra depth I am debuting on adding snap weights to my cores if I do want that extra depth.

The main differences between Copper and Lead Core is as follows.

1. Leadcore has a sheathing, and that is what gets it's tensile strength.

2. Cooper is braided copper wires, and is bare.

3. Cooper is heavier than lead core, and will run significantly deeper for an equal length.

4. A lot of care must be taken with copper. It kinks easily.

There are some experts on this site that will be able to add a lot to this thread.

I have limited experience with copper, but run a lot of LC. From what I understand copper will get you deeper faster then LC. Someone on here put a chart out of copper depth chart. Here's the link

http://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14775&highlight=copper+depth+chart

Thanks Diver Dennis.

Depending on who you talk to 45#copper will get you between 80 and 100% deeper than lead core for the same amount of line out. Copper rises and falls much faster in the water it will also change direction differantly. Lead core has it's own action as the sheath is bouyant and this causes it to vary in action as it passes thru differant temp zones and currents. The one big advantage to copper is getting deep without as much line out the disadvantage is it takes a big reel to hold it. but generally 150ft of 45# copper will get you in the same depth range as 300ft of lead core.

I have asked this question a few times, the response is a 50-50 mix.

Copper is a bit more temperamental, but it is much stronger. You will never break off 45 pound copper. Personally I have 4 copper setups and 4 core setups. Copper runs deeper, but likes to backlash more. The coated copper is much better, than the non coated. What I have noticed when letting out copper was, in shallower water it would sink to the bottom and hook mussels before the board pulled it out.

I have switched all my deep lines to copper but still have 3 and 5 color for the top.The copper runs much deeper than the lead ,but is definitly much more tempermental as far as tangleing up in the reel.I can say that I have had more success on copper than lead ,I never had more than a full core of lead before because it took such a big reel and i didnt want to have to let others on the boat pull that much line in hahaha! jimbobber

You will see MANY discussions threads on this topic on this site if you do a search. Some great advice here. If you are just starting I would put my money on lead core and to the 3, 5, 7, 10 color setups. That will boat you some fish. If you get more experience under your belt, add a copper line or two. The smallest you want to go on a reel is probably a 700 tekota or a 55 series Okuma. You can find some 452combos out there, but you will regret it ( I did ). The best advice I can give you is get on someone's boat that knows how to run multiple setups and learn learn learn. Saves you a lot of tangles when you just wing it on your own boat.

another thing that i hear alot about copper is that it gives off harmonic vibrations like downrigger cable that attract the fish. That is why they claim copper out produces lead. Dont know if it is true but it does produce more fish.

Lead core the sheathing can rot over time and you lose strength in the line. I saw this after four years on my friends boat. you tried to tie the lead core knot and the nylon broke every time you tried to cinch it down.

I run almost all copper now. the only lead i have on my boat is a two and three color.

i have 8 coppers 4 300' , 2 150' , and 2 75'. i havent looked back since i did switch out. the problem most people have with copper is letting it out. a couple tricks to help adjust the spool tension to the point that it goes out very slowly at first. as more line gets into the water the faster it will pull out but not over run itself. Put the tip of the rod into the water straight out the back of the boat this also helps to pull the copper out at a managable speed. and lastley never , never take your thumb off the spool cause you never know what can happen and can cause an over run.

Practice with lead core and get profficient with it then start replacing some of it with copper. If you set up a convector 45 with lead (full core) to start out. you can very easily fit a 150 copper on it with 300 yds of 50lb power pro backing. A 30 convector will hold a half core and 75 ft of copper(all 45 pnd tst copper). when you are ready to switch out. make sure when you do purchase convectors thay have the new wide mouth line guide. If they don't have them they are about 5 bucks apiece through okuma and fifteen minutes to install.

another nice thing about copper if it does get tangled you can untwist it and use it again did a 300 last year when the driver decided not to pay attention and do a 90 degree turn. lead when it balls up you may as well throw it away. if you want to go out and mess around with it let me know i'd be willing to take you out and show you how to manage it. I should be in benton harbor fishing some time in mid april.

if you want to go out and mess around with it let me know i'd be willing to take you out and show you how to manage it. I should be in benton harbor fishing some time in mid april.

I just might have to do that. I am still trying to figure the copper thing out, haven't got any yet, but am considering it.

Thanks!

JC

• 1 month later...

Well I did it. Cabin Fever must have set in and I went out today and got the wire rod, and an Okuma 30D Convector. Had to have the copper shipped to me each place I stoped was out. Gonna go ahead and spool up my backer, and leave enough room for 100' of copper. (if that will fit??)

What are you running on your wire rigs? Spoons? Dodger & Fly, dipseys? I stopped at 4 different tackle places today from Berrien Springs to Benton Harbor, to Edwardsburg, got a different best lure to use on this setup is.... at each place.

I would assume that the dodger/fly would keep a steady tension on the wire & help prevent tangles, but I'm going to you experts school me before I pull the cover off in April.:cool1:

Well I did it. Cabin Fever must have set in and I went out today and got the wire rod, and an Okuma 30D Convector. Had to have the copper shipped to me each place I stoped was out. Gonna go ahead and spool up my backer, and leave enough room for 100' of copper. (if that will fit??)

What are you running on your wire rigs? Spoons? Dodger & Fly, dipseys? I stopped at 4 different tackle places today from Berrien Springs to Benton Harbor, to Edwardsburg, got a different best lure to use on this setup is.... at each place.

I would assume that the dodger/fly would keep a steady tension on the wire & help prevent tangles, but I'm going to you experts school me before I pull the cover off in April.:cool1:

30d will fit backer and 75 ft which is about the same as a half core

45d would fit 150 which would be close to a full core

55 d 300 close to a two full core.

30d will fit backer and 75 ft which is about the same as a half core

45d would fit 150 which would be close to a full core

55 d 300 close to a two full core.

Aaron, Thanks again,

I will wind up 75 ft on the 30d. Once I learn how to use it I might add the 45 or 55d.

Getting anxious to try this out.

JC

by the way, this site rocks! Thanks GLF..

Edited by Hoosier_Steelheader
comment

I have been using both lead core and copper and feel both have their place. I am fairly new to the copper set ups, I have used the pre rigged Opti copper rigs and have managed to destroy them within a few uses. A friend told me about super copper so I gave it a try. I took my 345 Penn to Captain Chucks in Ludington and them strip the double core off and put on full core of 45lb super copper, what deference in the way it handles on the reel. The super copper has a tin coat on it that gives it a coating that makes it behave more like lead core. I caught my three largest fish of 2009 on this rig. I use the copper when I want to get deeper than 70 foot. I kept my cores for everything above that. I also added a couple of sets of Dive Bombers that gives me extra depth on my cores. I use a 4oz DB on a half core to get me down to the 8 color core depth with out the length. They work great and give you that extra adjustability, again just another tool, albeit a cheap tool.

Ok, so I got a deal on some Cajun 65lb braid and I want to use it for my backer.

I am assuming I use the same knots I did for my lead core?

Should I use a small heat shrink tube to cover the joint? Or would the heat weaken the backer?

Supposed to be 40 & sunny here on Friday... might have to put the freeze plugs back in..:yahoo:

Ok, so I got a deal on some Cajun 65lb braid and I want to use it for my backer.

I am assuming I use the same knots I did for my lead core?

Should I use a small heat shrink tube to cover the joint? Or would the heat weaken the backer?

Supposed to be 40 & sunny here on Friday... might have to put the freeze plugs back in..:yahoo:

Here's the way I set my 4 copper rigs up. 450' of braid, 10' of 40 pound mono, copper to fit, 30' 20 pound mono leader. I use an albright knot on all the connections. When I tie an algright knot, I tape the larger diameter line to my desk. This makes it much easier. (click on link to see knot)

The 10' of 40 pound mono is there to hook the board to. You could use 30, but 40 is what I had.

Here's the way I set my 4 copper rigs up. 450' of braid, 10' of 40 pound mono, copper to fit, 30' 20 pound mono leader. I use an albright knot on all the connections. When I tie an algright knot, I tape the larger diameter line to my desk. This makes it much easier. (click on link to see knot)

The 10' of 40 pound mono is there to hook the board to. You could use 30, but 40 is what I had.

Basically the same way i set mine up 300 yds PP 50 lb test 65 ft 40 pound mono copper then 35ft 20 lb leader. I also use albrights on all my connsections. i use a dab of fishing glue on the mono to PP connection just to protect from any slippage of the knot. I was told a uni to uni is actually better a couple weeks ago but i havent tried it. My copper to mono connections are both albrights. then just trim the copper tag end close to the knot. no heat shrink or taping required. I also hav been know to put a dab of fishing glue on these connections from time to time.

35d 300 yds pp 75 ft copper

45d 300 yds pp 150 ft copper

55d 300 yds pp 300 ft copper ( i think i had to cut back the pp about 50 yds but it was like three years ago and am not sure.)

Best way is to have two reels of the same size wind on leader first then copper then backer and then back fill to your oter reel making note of the lengths of line you used.