Starting over...kind of...

usmcpaul

Just a little rant about Bethels Marine electronics website. For the past week or two I have been researching chart-plotter/fish-finder combos and have really been on the fence about what to get and how much to spend, blah, blah,...blah.

So anyway I have been using Bethels as a launching point to gather information on manufacturers and options and what not, and decided to call them to find out the differences in a few of the systems I have been toiling over. The good news is they are very helpful and nice people, but the bad news is their website is horribly outdated. Come to find out all 4 of the systems I was considering that are listed on their site are no longer made:mad: The salesman even said he couldn't even remember the last ime they sold one of them!

Looks like I will have to start all over. Like I said they seemed really nice and knowledgeable, but damn...update your site occasionally. This research is getting very annoying. It seems like these systems get changed/outdated in a matters of hours. I have had very little luck getting any 'user reviews' of any current systems. Maybe I am over thinking this a bit, but I want to be sure about it when I decide to pull the trigger.

Right now I am seriously considering the Standard Horizon's CP300 or CP500. From what I can tell they are both decent systems for the money and have a 3 year warranty. I have not heard of any horror stories about them, and the one review from www.marine-electronics-reviews.com says they thought they are pretty decent, although I have never really heard of them myself before last week. Bethels said they do make a good radio so....:confused:

They are 'C-MAP NT+ and C-MAP MAX compatible' but I don't know if that is good or bad? Who are the main players as far as 'chips' go?

The 3 year warranty is appealing, but I suppose that the best warranty is the one you never have to use.

Garmin is in the running but they seem very expensive.

The Raymarine A70 or A50 are other options also.

Does anyone have a real comprehensive site to go and do some research?

I don't know what your budget is or what you expect but there are a lot of options. I like my Lawrance 525 CDF and I also like my friends 797 Humming bird they are both about 800 bucks and currently out of production. Actually the still make the 797 but is a differant version than my friends not sure if they still offer a 525CDF or what would be similar I had a cuddy and my friend has a open boat so mine has a seperate GPS antenna and his is built in.

I don't know what your budget is or what you expect but there are a lot of options. I like my Lawrance 525 CDF and I also like my friends 797 Humming bird they are both about 800 bucks and currently out of production. Actually the still make the 797 but is a differant version than my friends not sure if they still offer a 525CDF or what would be similar I had a cuddy and my friend has a open boat so mine has a seperate GPS antenna and his is built in.

My budget is somewhat of a gray area, and herein lies the problem. There are tons of choices...too many in fact.

I am pretty much set on replacing all the electronics on the boat. The radio is no big deal, I figure $100 should be plenty and is not really a concern nor is it factored into the gps/sounder budget.

I guess I am trying to target a price range of $800 to $1700, but I of course want the biggest screen with the most useful features and a reliable unit from a company that has a good (recent) reputation for quality and customer service if the need arises.

I have previously looked at HB and would consider one (OH great, thanks for reminding me:rolleyes:)

Lowrances customer service has been lacking as of late. Been hearing alot of compaining about them for almost a year now.

That said....I have several Lowrance units and like them. But my last graph purchase was a Raymarine.

Paul, What ever else you do, don't cheap out on the marine radio and antenna. You can get a decent Icom for under $200 and antenna for about $100. The VHF radio is a very important part of your safety package. When you need it you want to be heard LOUD and clear. Skimp on rods and reels, if you must.

I'm still running an Icom I bought in the late 80s early 90s.

None of the, "Can you hear me now BS".:)

I absolutely love my raymarine units. I have two of their A65 units, which are not in production anymore, but have been replaced by the a50,60,70. Their new A-series units have more features such as Sirius weather and do not require the separate sounder module. Shopping around lately i have seen Raymarine c-80 and c-120 displays within your price range. Unfortunately with these units they are just the displays and you have to "build" up the system which requires purchasing more sensors, modules, etc. Your $800-1000 deal could wind up costing you $2000-3000 by the time you get it up to its potential.

One more thing to consider is the rumors, although never confirmed, that Raymarine is in financial trouble. I have a boat full of 1 year old downriggers and rod holders with a lifetime warranty from a company that does not exist anymore. Not a good feeling.

Thanks guys for your input. I have all but decided to get a cp300 from Standard Horizon.

The entire set up will cost around $1300. That will include, a 7 inch 800 x480 screen, fish finder, and a C-map chip, and thru-hull transducer.

From what I can tell they seem to be very reliable units that have a good reputation and 3 year warranty. Anyone that thinks different, I would like to hear what you have to say. I am E-baying the rest of my MX gear, so hopfully I will order it next week or so.

It also gave me enough room to squeak out a Cannon Speed and Temp sensor That I found on closeout today at Gander Mountain for $399. COME-ON SPRING:laola:

I agree. Don't skimp on the radio, and antenna. I have an 18' antenna on my boat with a high end radio. I can pick up Whitehall from Holland. Sometimes it's a pain though because you get ALL the chatter, but I know I'll be heard if something goes wrong, or if somebody need help.:cool:

I will be upgrading my marine radio here very shortly, taking the advice of P1! to deep six that unit I have. Too old and not reliable. Looking at that ray marine from Bethel

• 2 weeks later...
I also did a lot of research and had my eyes on the CP300. I do like the 3 year warranty. From what I read they are pretty good units. Let me know what you think of it. I plan on having one before the boat comes out this spring.

Hey Bill, looks like the roles are going to be reversed, hopefully you will give me a review of yours when you get it. I am still considering one next year if I decide to upgrade or my "new one" craps out on me before then.

I was within hours of hitting the send button for a CP300 when I got a call from a guy on another site that had a Garmin GPSMAP 230 for sale. I decided to go look at it and liked it. It has a 7 inch screen and comes with the antenna and 3 maps for Erie, St. Clair and Huron for $200. The screen resolution was not fantastic back then, but it is good enough for now. I have read some good reviews on this unit so I hope it works out.

Sounds like ya got a pretty good deal. Seems a lot of cost goes into the charts. Bad enough that you pay a bit for the units and then turn around and buy maps. Would e nice if they sold these things with one set free maps for the area of your choice then pay for any additional.

I have to wait until work picks back up before I get one or the wife may strangle me. Down to 3 days/wk right now, anticipated back to full time sometime in March.

It also gave me enough room to squeak out a Cannon Speed and Temp sensor That I found on closeout today at Gander Mountain for $399.

Keep this in mind. Is the Cannon unit the old version, or the new one?

Cannon completely redesigned there snt. The new probe dose not work with the old head. I have the old unit, and it works very good, but if I lose the probe I'm sol.

You can read about the new one here.

Captain Bill Ruth of Billy V Sport fishing did some testing of it and has some info on his site. located here.

Keep this in mind. Is the Cannon unit the old version, or the new one?

Cannon completely redesigned there snt. The new probe dose not work with the old head. I have the old unit, and it works very good, but if I lose the probe I'm sol.

You can read about the new one here.

Captain Bill Ruth of Billy V Sport fishing did some testing of it and has some info on his site. located here.

Thanks for the info. From what your link says, I clearly have the old one. I guess I will have to be extra careful.

I still have about 7-10 days to return it, so if anyone knows of a good deal on a diffent brand or the new version please let me know asap.