Wire divers and copper w/ inline board

Last fall my Okuma Blue Diamond roller rods broke off in the holders (3) and Jay's in Clare got the manufacturer to upgrade to the great lakes roller rods (same roller system as the Telora) as well as upgrading the reels to the Catalina series. Sweet!:grin:

While I was at it, I had them set me up two copper reels with 45# copper and 30# mono backer, I have never used copper with an inline board before and this is my question.

I run one wire dipsey off each side of the boat using mag. divers with the ring set on #3, out 150' to 200'. If I am running 300' of copper or 150' of copper with the copper being the inside line on a 3 line spread, what concerns should I have with the wire line tangling with the copper?

I would appreciate your input.

why do you run your wire so high in the water column?

I would run your wire on a 2-2.5 setting and you should keep that board as far away from the boat as you can. Often time i run wire with up to three other cores or copper per side.

JR

the only problem i have ever encountered is a crazy fish taking the diver and going to the side into the copper/leadcore inside board. this doesn't happen often and i don't know if there is too much you can do to control where a juiced up fish goes after he/she bites.

Keep your wire divers set to 1 or 1.5 and you will probably be ok in most situations. Running high divers set to 2-3 over 100' back you are just begging to get into the copper if you get a decent fish that comes up into your copper rigs.

The best defense is a good offense. When a fish hits a diver in that situation reel the affected copper reel like mad to raise it up in the water column so that the diver will clear underneath it. We usually reel all the way to the board and hang it off that side until the diver line is clear and behind the boat.

Keep your wire divers set to 1 or 1.5 and you will probably be ok in most situations. Running high divers set to 2-3 over 100' back you are just begging to get into the copper if you get a decent fish that comes up into your copper rigs.

The best defense is a good offense. When a fish hits a diver in that situation reel the affected copper reel like mad to raise it up in the water column so that the diver will clear underneath it. We usually reel all the way to the board and hang it off that side until the diver line is clear and behind the boat.

Good advice Tim.

My wire divers are always set at 1.5.

If the fish are at the depth you need 300' of 45 pound copper, than you are going to want the divers that deep or more. 300' of copper will run down to 80+', My wire diver would be 175-190' to get below that.

The glory of a wire diver with a mag diver set at 1.5 is; they run close to %50 of line out.

A good copper depth chart.

Picture8.png

I only run my wire divers on 1.5 and high divers on 2.5 when running a high diver and copper get the copper away from the boat as far as possible. It is not unusual for me to have my boards nearly out of sight in the distance I never fish the pack and have often ran my outside board 600 or more ft from the boat generally I try to keep my copper board at least 75 to 100ft from the boat. And I try and keep the boards at least 50ft or more apart so when I am running 4 boards per side I am covering some acreage.

agree with everything said i only run my lows on 1 to 1.5 and if i am running highs 2 to 2.5 and keep that copper way out like jim said.

typically i only run two divers six coppers and a two or three color with three donwriggers as long as i have enough people with me. With four people and 12 lines you can really cover some water and have more chances of hookups.

How does that 600' from the boat work in 3 to 4 foot seas? I can run 3 lines out each side of the boat 1 wire dipsey and four riggers on an 8' beam and still keep the lines from tangling if I am careful but my copper 300' is closest to the boat then I run a full core then usually a 5 to 7 color lead core. I use 45# copper and I use the big rings on the dipseys they are usually the deepest presentation. my riggers don't interfer with any of my long line presentations. Just have to watch quick turns and make sure I am not going across current. I have never run an inline player anymore than 125' out.

I'm with Jim.

Actually I only run one set of divers.

You guys that run multiple divers on each side are AWESOME.

I run one diver on 1-1.5 and then copper and then core.

As stated, every once in a while you will get a fish that comes straight up throught the copper, but most of the time if they drag back before they come up you are ok.

How does that 600' from the boat work in 3 to 4 foot seas? I can run 3 lines out each side of the boat 1 wire dipsey and four riggers on an 8' beam and still keep the lines from tangling if I am careful but my copper 300' is closest to the boat then I run a full core then usually a 5 to 7 color lead core. I use 45# copper and I use the big rings on the dipseys they are usually the deepest presentation. my riggers don't interfer with any of my long line presentations. Just have to watch quick turns and make sure I am not going across current. I have never run an inline player anymore than 125' out.

In 3 to 4 ft waves you don't see the board till you reel it back in you listen to the clicker to tell if it has a fish on it. Ask anyone who has been out late season Steelhead fishing with me we haul butt and are constantly trying to see the boards however when the bite is on we fill the box. I am actually going to run braid on my 3 and 5 color rods as they are so far out you can't get the board to trip due to line stretch.