Magnum divers

I love my wire diver rig with a magnum diver on it ,but shopping on line i have noticed that the magnum size divers are hard to find especially in any sort of selection, whats the deal? are they unpopular or just rare in online retail ....i know here in the great capitol of Lansing i need to look elsewhere to find them on the shelfs of local retail establishments.where is the hot store?

Grand rapids fishing show is coming up. Franks had a good deal on the walker mags at novi and will be running the same deal at GR. i think it was like 3 of 4 bucks off the regular price. Also cabelas has a great selection in the store and online of the walkers:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat602747&id=0048587122251a&navCount=2&podId=0048587&parentId=cat602747&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=UK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602747&hasJS=true

they are the 124 mm size.

also the dipsy:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat602747&id=0011728111778a&navCount=6&podId=0011728&parentId=cat602747&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IA&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat602747&hasJS=true

and gl outdoors in ludington:

http://www.gloutdoorstore.com/magnumluhrjensendipsydiverswalkerdeeperdivers.aspx

i have bought quite a bit of stuff from gloutdoors. they are great to deal with.

i also prefer the walkers over the dipsies now.

edit:Cabelas prices are pretty good on their divers

I have found a fair amount of big lake gear at Gander Mtn. on Saginaw Hwy by you, I would try there first. Al & Bob's in Grand Rapids is another good place that does not get mentioned much, and the trip to Jay's in Clare is good as well as D&R Sports in Kalamazoo. Good luck.

Another thing to look forward to is the saturday before the gr show. the local shops have their open houses. Outdoorsman, Gold Coast and Gander. Ganders is pretty much a waste of time no deals just a couple speakers. Gold coast does a fantastic job. They do some great deals. Moonshine mags last year were like 4.59 each. okuma copper rods for like 24 bucks. i can't name them all. They also roast a pig the weekend before and have pulled bbq pork sandwiches potatoe salad chips etc. Only thing they don't provide is pop. bring your own or they have a machine in front of the store. Outdoorsman has virtually everything big lake on sale. they usually do a lunch also. Both shops offer better deals during their open houses over the show because of have to recoup the rental fees at the show. Goldscoast quit going to the show when they raised the table fees two years ago. outdoorsman still goes but the prices are higher that at the store during the open house. THey did a deal on tekotas last yere the 800s for i think 179 each maybe it was a little less. Usually i save for that saturday and i buy everything i need for the season. I already have my shopping list made. If you can make it to the area pm me i will give you my phone number and we can hit the shops together. i ususally make a good half day to a whole of bumming around betweeb the three.

go with the Walker Deeper Divers in 124mm. Easy to find and no farting around with rings. They run awesome off of wire and are super easy to adjust. Only problem is the paint wears off of them, but the fish don't seem to mind. Sometimes I think they enjoy the beat up look! The Grand Rapids show is amazing for big lake trolling gear. Great deals, too. Bring your wallet or better yet a line of credit, because you won't believe the deals. Most of the vendors are willing to wheel and deal also. 2 years ago we bought 2 Talora leadcore/wire rods for $60!

• 4 months later...

I stripped the center screw out of one of my clear magnum dipsys! Sounds like it is a common problem. I plan to glue the dipsy together on a 1.5 setting since the screw will no longer hold the two pieces together! Not very happy with the quality. The walker 124mm are not as heavy as the magnum divers are they?

I stripped the center screw out of one of my clear magnum dipsys! Sounds like it is a common problem. I plan to glue the dipsy together on a 1.5 setting since the screw will no longer hold the two pieces together! Not very happy with the quality. The walker 124mm are not as heavy as the magnum divers are they?

Mat, Welcome to the site. I like to glue and label my diver just to make it easy.

I think the walkers dig a little harder just by the angles on my rods. and have hit bottom when a dipsy wouldnt with the same line out.

edit

i like the walkers better and actually just gave my two last mag dipsies away. they appear to be better made and the bottom has a pin in it so that when the screw is tight there is no way that the bottom disc can turn.