Bigger Chinooks now. More Coho in the future.

phishtix

why dont they stock alewifes,to make pray more abundant for our beloved sport fish to get fat on?

The Alewifes and Lamprey pretty much trashed a great fishery and stunk up our beachs. They wiped out our Lake trout and nearly our Perch fishing and gave a lot of other fish a tough road to survive. There are one of the reasons we have no natural lake trout as the Grease balls we catch now are imported. Salmon were brought in to combat the Alewife and the fishery we got as the result was a byproduct. Many who lived on the spawning rivers at the time hated the Salmon as the dead carcuses were floating down the rivers in mass. Which is why the DNR allowed snagging to come up with a way to get rid of the spwaning and dieing fish. Salmon were introduced in the late 1800's but did not survive but the Alewife gave it new life. Fast forward 40 years and we no longer allow snagging and have learned how to better control the fishery but now have new problems to deal with that are wrecking the food chain again. I can remember when 30lb plus fish out of Lake MI were not uncommon and no one even got excited till they approached 40lbs or more. The DNR master angler patch for Chinook is 27lbs and they used to send out hundreds each year now they send out a handfull and I don't think I have caught a fish that would qualify since the 80's.

When we were in Pentawater, we came across a small school of elwives, and even saw a salmon munching on them as fast as it could, but i wonder, are they Large schools of them out there in Lake Michigan??? I guess I'll fiind out with the New Fish Finder this spring and summer.. aye???????

When we were in Pentawater, we came across a small school of elwives, and even saw a salmon munching on them as fast as it could, but i wonder, are they Large schools of them out there in Lake Michigan??? I guess I'll fiind out with the New Fish Finder this spring and summer.. aye???????

What, a new toy? What did you get Robert?

The DNR have planted some herring in Lake Huron. The Herring are a more natural fit for the GLs. The alewives, supposedly, don't handle the Northern Great Lakes water temps that well. Smelt will do well, but they don't weigh up like alewives or herring. Herring are also native to the GLs.:) I sure hope these great fisheries are here for our grandchildren.:)