ice fishing steelhead

There is some safe ice on huron in the UP but it changes from day to day. I have been out a couple of times this winter but no luck as of yet. I came close yesterday as I had a screamer on the tip up but missed that one. If the ice ever forms good I am looking at February and March to be good fishing months. It is bad when you live in the UP and cannot find good ice. A few years ago I was catching my limit in January on Lake Michigan out of one hole quicker than you could drink a cup of coffee. No shanty just go out drill a hole and you were back at your car 45 minutes later with a meal of nice chromers

No ice on L Michigan, I am going to try Huron this weekend again. If this keeps up I will need my waders soon. Mabey I should uncover the boat and put the riggers back on it. The bright side of things is that my heat bill was only $68.00 this month, I guess that is not bad for a 2000 square foot home

No ice on L Michigan, I am going to try Huron this weekend again. If this keeps up I will need my waders soon. Mabey I should uncover the boat and put the riggers back on it. The bright side of things is that my heat bill was only $68.00 this month, I guess that is not bad for a 2000 square foot home

You must be stoking a wood stove heavily, to only have a $68 heat bill.:D

There is a lot of open water by me. I need to get my inside chores caught up, and start casting some cleos. :)

I managed to find some good ice. We just could not manage to put the hook to the fish that hit. We missed out on a couple of nice screamers and had two break off. Right when we were going to call it quits the pole sitting on the bucket started bouncing. I put the hook to it and it was another screamer. This time the fish lost after a 40 minute battle. What came through the ice hole was a 34" 14 pound steelhead. About 10 minutes later my fishing partner caught & released a 15 inch brook trout. Catching that big fish on an ice rod felt like a 20+ pound king on the rigger. I will post a picture later

steelie.jpg

Edited by A-Fishy-Anado
Posted Picture

• 3 weeks later...

My wife made me take all of the taxidermy stuff out of the house. My office looks like a taxidermist office not an insurance office (two bobcats, two deer, two brown trout, one brook trout, one walleye, coyote, red fox, badger, beaver)

My wife made me take all of the taxidermy stuff out of the house. My office looks like a taxidermist office not an insurance office (two bobcats, two deer, two brown trout, one brook trout, one walleye, coyote, red fox, badger, beaver)

Lets see some pictures of your bobcat mounts.

I will be going out steelhead fishing this weekend from St Ignace. I would be willing to take someone just to keep you off of that unsafe ice downstate. First come basis and don't stand me up call 906 -643- 8630. Last weekend I was on 9" of good ice. You don't have to worry about bringing quads or sleds as I can drive within a couple of hundred feet of where we will fish.

Bob, Tell her to take her pick, the livingroom, or the office.:D:lol:

I still want to make a trip down and walleye fish with you Frank. The offer is still open if anyone wants to steelhead ice fish this weekend. I miss fishing in the Tawas area as I used to get some real nice salmon & trout out there.

I still want to make a trip down and walleye fish with you Frank. The offer is still open if anyone wants to steelhead ice fish this weekend. I miss fishing in the Tawas area as I used to get some real nice salmon & trout out there.

Bob, Come on down this Spring or Summer for some walleye whacking.:) Ice fishing would be tough for me to do. I seem to do a lot better in the warmer weather with a boat under my butt.:) Walking on any uneven terrain, gives me problems.