hydraulic steering with autopilot

I have a 28ft regal 1985 twin IO with merc cruiser outdrives I want to put hydraulic steering teleflex sea star with simrad autopilot . Question what steering slave cylinder goes on the boat and what helm number would work? 2nd question-with using the simrad AP 14 do I need to buy a pump beyond the steering box to work the autopilot? I already have power steering off my port motor only. Appreciate your help...Gary

I have a 28ft regal 1985 twin IO with merc cruiser outdrives I want to put hydraulic steering teleflex sea star with simrad autopilot . Question what steering slave cylinder goes on the boat and what helm number would work? 2nd question-with using the simrad AP 14 do I need to buy a pump beyond the steering box to work the autopilot? I already have power steering off my port motor only. Appreciate your help...Gary

You will need the same setup as my boat personally I would go with the Garmin system but that is your choice.

http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/STERNDRIVE/stern.htm

That is a link to the layout sheet for part numbers. This is a small volume system so you will not need a big pump for the Auto pilot. The pump size is based on the volume of the steer cylinder so bigger is not better here. The sam in my opinion will apply to choosing a helm pump with the steer cyl for a Mercruiser being a small displacment cyl you can use pretty much any helm pump the difference will be in steering ratio ( number of turns lock to lock ) and also in steering effort this will be a big factor when you are running on the non power assist motor. Which you should know by now if you troll on one motor you have power steering but on the other it is manual.

The reason I prefer Garmin GHP 10 autopilot is Shadow Drive this allows you to take control without turning the auto pilot off so if you want to adjust your course simply turn the wheel and hold the new course for a few seconds and the system runs the new course. Programable trolling patterns are also included and a nice feature. With the Simrad or Raymarine systems you have to shut off the unit to change course and then re engage it to set it to the new course. The last thing I want in a emergency is to have my wife or someone else fighting with the auto pilot because they forgot to push a button. To my knowledge Garmin is the only system that has Shadow Drive.

If you just want the steering part numbers here is what I spec'd for my boat.

HC5328

HH5271

HF5502

THE TUBE KIT FOR YOUR BOAT LENGTH AND OIL

Also you will need a Mercury clevis part num B98735A1

That will get you HYD steering and the fitting kit to add auto pilot of your choice.

Depending on your Helm station you might consider the tilt wheel pump HH5741

or the rear mount pump kit HH5261. Because my steering wheel is so close to my shift throttle control I went with the HH5271 in my specs because it will move the wheel back about 3in which I hope will keep my fat hands from hitting the throttle when I steer.

Gary

I am not sure on your first question. To answer your second question, you will need the smart pilot pump along with your power steering.

With the simrad you don't actually have to turn off the unit it is a matter of keystrokes to control the degree of your heading. There also is a dodge feature that requires pre sets to control the degree of turn and the distance before turning back to achieve your original course which is a VERY nice feature.

Very true but imagine you fall overboard and your wife panics and does not push the right buttons. With the Shadow Drive in the Garmin you just grab the wheel anytime and make course changes hold the new course for a few seconds and it takes over on the new course. Not all of us have experienced crews I often fish with friends and family some who have zero boating experience the Garmin is the only unit that allows you steering control at all times engaged or not. Even on the Hyd steer systems you can turn the wheel and the boat will turn however if you forget to push the button the auto pilot will correct and return to the previous course. Every unit I looked at for my boat offered the push button course changes. The Garmin Shadow Drive however allows you to use the wheel to make changes no need to read the screen or push the right button. If you want to turn to Port just turn the wheel.