Bad Day at the Launch Ramp

Boltman

Well I thought I'd post this for all to see, this is our trailer, in Port Hiron Mi, the ramp was very short (concrete) and all the axles fell off the end of the concrete right onto the frame of the trailer. I was able to get the boat off, with help from all 600 horses from both motors,because it wasn't floating even after it dropped off the concrete.

We had to call a wrecker to lift the trailer up while I pulled the truck and trailer forward, think that was bad??? Should have been there when I was loading the boat back onto the trailer.. that was so much fun and once again it took full throttle to get it back onto the trailer... Here's som pics of the event...

DSC00685-1.jpg

This was the Wrecker backing in next to the truck with the trailer on back under water.

DSC00689-1.jpg

The men hooking the cables to the trailer actually walking on the frame of the trailer to get to it.

DSC00691-1.jpg

tuckpic2.jpg

And it only cost 70.00 dollars and a bent fender on the bottom.......I wont use that ramp again.....and to think an old timer new the ramp was short and watched as I backed the boat down and it fell off the ramp...

While we waited for the wrecker two other boats dropped off the end too, the wrecker was making some money that day....

Allow me to be the voice of reason once again. Don't be to quick in blaming Power Loading. Many of these public and marina ramps were built during the "HIGH WATER" days of the 70's and 80's. The old water mark on the Linwood Beach Marinas sea wall is 36 to 40 inches up the wall from the current water line. That's 3 feet less water in the launching area, which would require who knows how many extra feet of new launching ramp cement to back your trailer down on to to float your boat. Thus, the shortened cement buffer zone before the drop off. I know of many ramps that have this same problem and at this economic stage of the game IMV will not be fixed or extended any time soon unless causing some real damage or physical harm.:angry2:

Edited by Walleye Express

Mike since your wondering, it wasn't much work for them to get the trailer out, 5 minutes and 2 cables the trailer was out of the water and on the ramp again.... I did not let that ruin our Day we still went out on the water.

As for getting the boat back on the trailer...... I stood in the water at the end of the concrete and have the wife back it down until I new only two axles were off the end..No the third axle though... then I had to Power load, and I mean Power load...I had to bounce the boat on the trailer and I had to use all the power that was available to me from the 350's.....I needed a foot more water under me and it wouldn't be a problem...

As for poer loading,,,, I normally do NOT have to power load at any launch....I can pull the boat onto the trailer with just a slow drift and once I'm centered.. the Power Winch does the rest........ It's really an easy boat to load because the trailer was made for this boat..And I only go to deep launch ramps.... although Ludingtons leaves something to be desired.... amn I wish they'd take those dock out and up....Best launch in the state.... Elk Rapids by far....they are very Deep and very Long....I put my boat in there and still have 20 feet of concrete and water to go.