Run and gun or sit and wait

I tend to work over a piece of structure when fishing inland...I'll drill a ton of holes along a break line for walleyes or scatter over the deep water basin for Crappies. If after fishing all the holes, typically 12- 20 of them, I keep moving along the structure till I find fish, but I will sit and wait for the walleyes to make their move to feed at dusk, I start deep and move up the drop/hump as the sunsets

I have a portable shack that pulls easily, but I do not have an ATV or snowmobile to move long distances to a different piece of structure, so I don't run and gun in the traditional sense

Now on the big lake, I do similar in that I cover an area with holes, but if I’m not catching anything, I have made a move buy packing up and driving overland a few miles to the next likely spot, and again cover the area

If I had an ATV, I think I would be more inclined to run and gun

Run and gun is my motto. I do most of my ice fishing on the big water so i do allot of running. Generally 15-30 minutes at a hole depending on what im seeing. Obviously if there are fish in an area then ill swiss cheese the area to keep after em. Otherwise, im on the move. I do the same with panfish. I drill allot of holes and only fish a few minutes at a hole and if theyre not there i move on. Thats why its so important to have your gear organized and a system thats effiscient...cause effisciency will ultimately equal succsess in my book...Obviously if theyre down there i sit until theyre gone and normally you can revisit that spot and get em again.

Sit and wait is more my style while ice fiishing. I will say that run and gun is (probably most of the time) more productive. If by myself and hauling my one man pop-up, I do more running and gunning. But most of the time I'm with friends or 2 clients hauling my Dog sled and the "Circus Big Top" shanty I use, and that big set-up production takes me anywhere from 30 to 40 minutes to cut/clean holes and set everything up inside. I will move if not to late in the day and my Cell phone contacts are doing that much better then me and not 10 miles away. And I will say through experience, that both tendencies along with the type of day (weather) will at certain times pay bigger dividends then the other.:grin:

IM000533.jpg

Walleye' date=' what a sweeeeeet setup.

I myself would sit in that all day, probably with a thermos of coffee and baileys.[/quote']

Thank's Mark.

That's actually my old Otter Skin Shanty in the picture. My new one is exactly the same size. 6'wide X 12'long, with 6' 1/2" ceiling, but Blue on the outside, white on the inside, and has R-2 Thinsolate isolation in the walls, doors and ceiling. You can only stand having the heater on {low} for about 10 minutes even on the coldest days in this new one. You could probably cook a chicken in there if hung from the ceiling with the heater on high.:eek: So your right, asking about or thinking about moving once your snuggled in is rough.:no:

IMG_0112.sized.jpg

Edited by Walleye Express

Just Hookin. I like that coffee and bailey's then just sit & wait. I have my spots that are always productive every day all winter long. I fish steelhead through the ice so once you get a few you just wait and a few more will show up. This year once the ice gets on good I am going to move a little once the bite lets up. I hate all of that taking down and re setting though. I usually move one tip up at a time instead of everything at once. On a good day you can watch flags from 200 yards out too. I have had days where you drill one hole and you are done fishing in 20 minutes, so much for coffee on those days

Those shacks look nice and the coffee and baileys sounds too good but I tough it out. I will be walking in tomorrow which also means walking out 1.3 miles each way so I have to go light which means no shack. Good luck guys and stay warm. When the holes are drilled it is fish or no fish I don't move much.