rods and reels

I think there the same as Magda or Pro. If your going to get a few combos. Step up to at least the convectors. This rod, with this reel would make a very nice combo.

For $83 + shipping it's a great price. I have both these rods and reels, and they work very well.

For rods on a budget I bought some of the Diawa Firewolf rods 19 bucks ea and have 4 of the Diawa Wilderness rods that I got for 14.95 ea. The Firewolf rods are ML 8ft rods and a blast to catch fish on with 12lb test and Okuma CL30 reels rod reel and line was just over 50 bucks ea. They are rated for 17# test line and a blast to fight fish on. running 17# Maxima on them now as my late summer line after losing a few big kings on the 12# mono. I am just not a big fan of the old pool ques with eyelets fishing poles I like light tackle and giving the fish a chance.

I have a few Cabelas reels, size 45. They have worked pretty well. I have used 2 of them for wire lines and used them for downriggers as well, with out an issue. Granted, this was the first year running wire, but so far so good. I haven't lost any fish due to reels. I got mine for 30 bucks rather than 39. They have sales on them if you watch for them. I can't speak about the rods. I just got one from the bargin bin that I put a twili tip on but haven't fished with it yet. Hope this helps.

BTW the clickers are a little weak

Edited by Hotdog71
Forgot something

I tore the clickers out of 2 of the Depthmasters. I think they are the same quality as the Magda's, not the Convectors. I don't have a lot of faith in the Magda's as far as long term, and the number of trips I make. Some guys have had good luck with them, others have had them seize up. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

I tore the clickers out of 2 of the Depthmasters. I think they are the same quality as the Magda's, not the Convectors. I don't have a lot of faith in the Magda's as far as long term, and the number of trips I make. Some guys have had good luck with them, others have had them seize up. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.

from what ive seen the only diff. between magda and convector is the click pawl spring(as far as clickers go)...mag is plastic and convector is steel...tunas reel repair suggests switching to plastic in the convectors(apparantly it saves wear on other parts)

I have around 20 of the Okuma MA DX reels, from MA15DX up to the MA45DX. Most of mine are the 20 series that I use for walleye. I have had only a couple of minor problems, and you know I do fish a lot. The Okuma Magna Pros will perform well for both walleye and Salmon. My first experience with the Magna Pros came with 2 Dipsy rods included in my boat package.

These reels need to be lubricated at least yearly, and more so if they are used a lot. You will NEVER see me reel in a fish with the clicker on, even on other peoples boats. There is no logical reason for the clicker to be used while reeling. I do put the clicker back on just as the fish is about to be netted. The only reason I put it back on is because I like to put the lever back after the fish is securely in the net. The Lever back will save the rod.

Take the clicker off, when reeling fish in, no matter what brand of reel. That is one of the rules on my boat, because I know the guy that pays for the reels.:)

I also have 8 Penns and a couple of Diawa LCs. I just replaced 2 Penn clicker pawls last year after several years of use.

Just discovered about a month ago that Convector Line Counters are available from Walmart, Site to Store, at a great price. I bought a 45D for another 10 color set up. The 30D Line Counter is available for $60.

These are better prices than I found anywhere else.

Mike