segmented copper

i was just reading something a guy posted somewhere...he is running 30ft of flouro 100 ft copper,76ft braid 200 ft copper and then backer...i guess im wondering what you think about this..the only reason i could think to do this would be to increase action...instead of heavy copper maybe getting it to act more like core..something to think about anyway

Segmenting gives you the option of fishing two different lengths of copper on the same rod.

This works well for lead core as well. I have a 10 colour leadcore on one rod but choose to segment it.

At the lure end is 50 ' of leader, then going up the line I have a 50 ' segment of mono at 3, 5, 7 colours with mono backer to fill the spool. This is one of my best walleye set-ups. I can fish 4 lengths of lead from one rod.

Each segment of mono is long enough so that I can attach an inline board. Depending on how far out to the side you want to fish will dictate the length of mono between segments of lead or copper. Each segment allows me to add drop weights or dive bombs for further adjustability.

Some prefer to use braid, but I find mono to be more forgiving.

i lke to think outside the box and am willing to try new things...how are you gonna know if you dont try...we wouldnt be where we are as a sport if everyone poo-pooed every new idea...rayman96..i never thought about the way youre doing..makes good sense to a budget minded fisherman...i dont know if i like that many connections but i can see where it would be a huge benefit...yeah maybe there is another 75 ft to reel in...but if it catches more fish who cares

Don, mine is a walleye set-up for lake Erie. I use 18 lb. core and 20 lb. mono for this particular rig.

Salmon are harder fighting so you will need to beef up your rig accordingly. I have not fished copper either so I can't help you there.

With lead I use a willis knot and that works well. With copper I believe the proper knot is an albright. Copper is a fairly thick line especially the 45 lb. version. Two considerations to pay attention to. Make sure the line guide on the reel will allow the knot to pass through easily. Also the rod must have line guides large enough for the knots.

HIH

I have thought about segmenting copper and chose not to because of the size of the knot you have to reel through the eyes. The less chance your line has to hang up as your reeling in a fish the better IMO. With leadcore this seems like less of an issue because the willis knot is much smaller and seems to slide through the eyes with less resistance.

I'm not saying it's wrong, rather what's the advantage?

I fully understand segmenting core, but copper is so heavy that wouldn't hang to well from rod to board. Only running the board out 75' would put it in the same zone as your diver. Copper and divers make a mess when they get together:eek:

I've segmented some of my core setups for this reason. Also it's a great way to use up broken core.

ok i was thinking of putting a 7 color and and a 5 color on a okuma cv 55 would that fit i would have 30 pound pp for backing??

i put 30ft leader 450 copper 100ft 30#mono 150yds ppro on a 55 so you shouldnt have a problem...i would go with the power pro to answer youre question:)

I'm not saying it's wrong, rather what's the advantage?

I fully understand segmenting core, but copper is so heavy that wouldn't hang to well from rod to board. Only running the board out 75' would put it in the same zone as your diver. Copper and divers make a mess when they get together:eek:

I've segmented some of my core setups for this reason. Also it's a great way to use up broken core.

i hear what youre saying ken...i twisted a 300 and 450 together...you couldnt tell one from the other...my niece and my wife spent a full saturday unraveling it(must not have wanted to open her purse):)do you think it might..if you put it all in the water... it might make the copper rise and fall for more action?actually heres one ive wondered..we always are looking for thin leaders...do you think it may be more beneficial to have a little heavier to get more action...same reasoning for putting 40 or 50 lb on a fly for the whip effect?

nailer;

75' is plenty of a spread for me, however I only deploy two riggers straight out the back and one wire diver out each side as a deep diver on a 1.5 setting. Then the core out the highest and farthest.

At times I leave the riggers in and deploy a deep diver on a 1 and a higher diver on a 2 setting out each side of the boat. Then the core beyond that.

Another common spread for me is two riggers out the back and two divers out the side.

Sometimes hard to get at the fish.

i hear what youre saying ken...i twisted a 300 and 450 together...you couldnt tell one from the other...my niece and my wife spent a full saturday unraveling it(must not have wanted to open her purse):)do you think it might..if you put it all in the water... it might make the copper rise and fall for more action?actually heres one ive wondered..we always are looking for thin leaders...do you think it may be more beneficial to have a little heavier to get more action...same reasoning for putting 40 or 50 lb on a fly for the whip effect?

I don't know the answer to that Don. I always felt the core did more of the swimming, and the copper was more for deep fish.

Personally, I run Plugs and Spoons on my core/copper rigs.

Great site Richard. That should help a lot of members.

i run 300' of copper with a 2 foot section of 45lb mono in the middle. all four of my coppers can run as 300' or 150' setups. have not had any issues with the segment breaking. i also have always attached my boards right to my leadcore and never had an issue with it. All my leadcores have 10 colors on them and i run what ever amount of colors i want. allows more possibilities with just 8 rods. I like to keep things simple. I will continue to do this and have half the number of rods others need until this causes me problems. I also prefer 45lb mono for backing on my leadcores and coppers. I understand all this goes against what almost everyone believes, but it works for me.

Wow Josh a 300 copper segmented with 45# mono as a backer you got big reels. I can't get a 100yd of 20# backing on my Okuma Convetor 55L which has me considering going to Power Pro for backing on the copper rods. Also due to having my divers come up into my copper a few times I run my copper as far from the boat as I can get it and often when running 4 boards per side the outside board is barely visable in the distance. When running the copper as a 150 with the other 150 between the board and the boat how wide can you run them?

I use offshores snapper release on my boards, not sure right now of the model number.

i actually use convector 55l's as well and have plenty of backing to get the board out far enough. i usually only run one wire dipsy a side, and have occasionally had a fish come up into the board. when running 150 of copper there is a dip in the line from the board to the boat. I prefer the yellow bird big boards for the reason of being able to make the board pull harder to the side in situations like this.

I try not to run 4 boards aside if i can help it, but dont have too much of a problem when i do. I can run all four a side and have the outside with all ten colors out with enough backing left. I do run tight drags though. I dont let fish scream line out unless they are actually big enough or strong enough to earn it.

I cant say this is an ideal set up, but i like only having only eight rods. It also allows me to have a spare setups if im not fishing all eight. Instead having to re-rig, i might beable to just take another rod to get the same bait out fishing right away.

It takes alot of patience and i didnt just come up with my system over night. It has taken me numerous seasons and lots of trial and error and pulling my hair out at times to perfect this. I dont think i have come across anyone who accepts the way i run my boards yet.