Buying in Bulk

1mainiac

Guys I mentioned something I am thinking about doing in a post the other day and may go ahead with it if there is enough interest. I have a distributor who will sell me tackle at wholesale I have to setup the business license and sales tax license and run it legal. What I am thinking is to help me defer startup cost how many would be interested in buying lures at wholesale. My thought is to have a Co Op type setup where guys who join can buy their gear for a few cents over actual cost so I don't lose money on the deal not trying to profit just thinking I can get a better deal for me and a few friends and sell a few things for a profit as well. My minimum purchase order is 500 bucks and most items have a minimum quanity as well but for most spoons the minimum is 6 of ea and the idea is not to carry a large inventory just get the things we want. This will be run as a mail order type business so I will not be running a store front that however does not mean my friends can not come over and visit. If it sounds like something you are interested in let me know and I will proceede from there.

I for one would like a little more information.

Just what are we talking about here.

Terminal tackle only or riggers and electronics as well.

What would be a minimum value order for me?

Would I have to get a membership?

Edited by Rayman96
adding a question

I can get electronics and pretty much anything you would need however keep in mind some brands have very high stocking and minimum order requirements that may make one time purchases tough to do. 1 line I looked at has a 20 grand minimum order so not likely going to play much there however can probably meet or beat most deals. I still have a few things to sort out. One thing I need to decide is how to do a fair membership so no one feels like I am taking advantage of them. I am considering 2 ideas at the moment 1 being a one time member fee like 10 bucks and a few guidelines as to how it will work the other being a small member fee added to purchases. The idea is that members will be allowed to buy at actual cost plus tax and either a member fee or surcharge to keep it straight up on the books. Any profit I make from member investments will be recorded and kept in a seperate account open to any member and once or twice a year we can discuss what to do with that money but the plan is to keep it a small amount. The reason this comes up is lets say you want a couple of a lure and minimum purchase is 6 when several guys buy together it is likely we will end up with extra stuff and odds and ends which we will have to decide what to do with whether it be sold fo profit or held for members to purchase later. The simple decision to open a small business doing something I enjoy is easy offering to share part of it with fellow members will take some carefull consideration.

Jim, I wish you luck. Been there done that.

About 20 years ago I had a Firearms and tackle business. I supplied most of my friends and relatives. A lot of the times, some big dealers show prices were better than my wholesale cost. I'm in no way trying to discourage you. I never lost money, but the work and hassle made it not worth it to me. My experience was before I even thought about computers, so you may do a lot better than I did. Good Luck again.

for me it would be nice cus i generally buy a lot at once if the deal is right...it sucks to go buy a lure at 5.29 when you know youre paying at least a 1.50 mark up per spoon( i know cus someone was gracious enough to get them for me at cost once)in no way do i blame them for making a profit...i need them there if i need something last minute blah blah blah....but i generally order from the internet...the selection is better and if you order enough to cover s&h its by and large a lot cheaper...so to answer youre question im very interested in ordering bulk and saving on 50 spoons potentially 50 dollars.

Jim, I wish you luck. Been there done that.

About 20 years ago I had a Firearms and tackle business. I supplied most of my friends and relatives. A lot of the times, some big dealers show prices were better than my wholesale cost. I'm in no way trying to discourage you. I never lost money, but the work and hassle made it not worth it to me. My experience was before I even thought about computers, so you may do a lot better than I did. Good Luck again.

That is a good point Frank and I am aware of it Major retailers and distributers can get much better prices. I am sure that I can be undersold I have bought gear for less than my wholesale price sheet in some of my other business's. This is why I am not trying to open a store however getting a few guys together and buying as s group increases everyone's chances at a better deal. To do this I have to have a legitiment business to purchase wholesale. Again I have a few details to sort out but since I have no plans of making money off this adventure the only issue is making sure I don't lose a lot of money on it. On the bright side I could write off all my fishing as product testing and maybe save a few bucks that way as well.

There is very little protected territory in fishing gear most distributers will be happy to add you to their sales list. Most of them use minumum orders as a way to control how they do business and also nearly all manufactures have MAP policies ( minimum advertised pricing ) which I will not violate. So I won't be giving out free trade info nor should anyone else I also support local bait shops and think everyone should as well. However with the amount we spend on gear I think it would be nice to have a place for planned purchases. Since I have no interest in carrying a inventory if this happens and I do this it will require all involved to make a list of what they want and then I will find a way to put everyones list together into a bulk order and let them know what it will cost them or if we need to make adjustments to the order due to purchase limitations.

I want 2- Tiara 32' Open's 6 Vector Heavy Metal Dr's, 3 for each boat. A nice electronics package from Raymarine and a couple Fub Wobblers

No problem I'll being checking the mailbox for the deposit check. Any special color on the Tiara's and I assume you want the Hooters swimsuit team to crew for you as well that will also require a rather large deposit.

Sorry Jim....But I have mixed feelings about this.

Most of them use minumum orders as a way to control how they do business and also nearly all manufactures have MAP policies ( minimum advertised pricing ) which I will not violate.

Just how much savings would there be? There is very little mark up on terminal tackle.

There is a distributer in your area who is already running selling tackle out his side door. He has to sell it for at least wholesale or risk loosing his suppliers. How would the suppliers would feel about this?

Online tackle shops are whats putting the hurting to the local tackle shops. Online stores do not have the overhead/operating costs as a local tackle shop. This is why the local shops need to charge more.

Who would be the one that really would benefit from this?

Everyone loves the walmarts, sams clubs, meijers, etc, etc,etc. What happened to all of the small local buisnesses in the area when the walmarts and such showed up? They closed their doors because they could not cover their operating costs.

This will also drive away potential advertisers of this website, and any other websites that allows it.

Just how much savings would there be? There is very little mark up on terminal tackle.

There is a distributer in your area who is already running selling tackle out his side door. He has to sell it for at least wholesale or risk loosing his suppliers. How would the suppliers would feel about this?

Online tackle shops are whats putting the hurting to the local tackle shops. Online stores do not have the overhead/operating costs as a local tackle shop. This is why the local shops need to charge more.

Everyone .loves the walmarts, sams clubs, meijers, etc, etc,etc. What happened to all of the small local buisnesses in the area when the walmarts and such showed up? They closed their doors because they could not cover their operating costs.

This will also drive away potential advertisers of this website, and any other websites that allows it.

I'm sorry, Mike I don't buy that at all!

To follow that line of thinking then I shouldn't go to a sports show anywhere or buy anything out of the area where I live. What's up with that?? And I doubt that you've never bought anything at an out of town or county show of any kind.

The small local businesses have an opportunity to have an online store as well if they choose.

I frequent four local sports shops, 3 of which have websites. One is an archery shop for the most part and has a website. One is a gunshop for the most part and has other sporting goods as well, but does not have a website. Just bought a rangefinder there. One has a marina attached and has a website. One is a bait and tacklestore right on the water and has a website.

The only time I go to walmart for anything is when I can't find it elsewhere.

Home Depot moved into town recently. I still go to same plumbing store that has been here forever! And that will not change anytime soon.

I believe there is room for everyone if they put out the effort to keep their business going and growing.

I don't think that Jim's intent is to put anyone out of business!

Everyone loves the walmarts, sams clubs, meijers, etc, etc,etc. What happened to all of the small local buisnesses in the area when the walmarts and such showed up? They closed their doors because they could not cover their operating costs.

Actually Mike The distributor is pretty much all for it as he needs customers to stay in business as well. Most of the manufacture's simply want their product sold. The internet and chain stores has hurt all the local shops and many of them buy direct so even the local distributors suffer. Also none of these venues offer us the ability to order what we want they all require us to pick thru what they have.

And again this is a idea that came up in conversation that I am following up on. Whether this becomes more than a chat dialog or not remains to be seen. There was a time there were bait shops everywhere now there are few. But even as the shops died out the business did not increase at the few that are left. The answer is they went to the internet and the major chain stores so why not bring them back to a local point. Get all the guys together and buy as a group just like most of the Charter boats do.

I thought one of the reasons for having a site like this is to allow us to share info. Many times that info is to point a fellow member towards a differant vender. Such as Cabellas or other internet and chain stores. I don't know you can allow us to have open dialog and not have some ocassional discourse with advertisers other than to become like another site you and I both dislike who polices deletes and edits posts they don't like and has almost no traffic on it anymore. You have a great site Mike with good traffic and lots of good info that alone should make sponsors happy and want to be here if I do in fact start a business I would consider advertising here.

I'm sorry, Mike I don't buy that at all!

To follow that line of thinking then I shouldn't go to a sports show anywhere or buy anything out of the area where I live. What's up with that?? And I doubt that you've never bought anything at an out of town or county show of any kind.

The small local businesses have an opportunity to have an online store as well if they choose.

I frequent four local sports shops, 3 of which have websites. One is an archery shop for the most part and has a website. One is a gunshop for the most part and has other sporting goods as well, but does not have a website. Just bought a rangefinder there. One has a marina attached and has a website. One is a bait and tacklestore right on the water and has a website.

The only time I go to walmart for anything is when I can't find it elsewhere.

Home Depot moved into town recently. I still go to same plumbing store that has been here forever! And that will not change anytime soon.

I believe there is room for everyone if they put out the effort to keep their business going and growing.

I don't think that Jim's intent is to put anyone out of business!

If you owned an online tackle shop, would you advertise on a website that allows someone to sell tackle at prices below you and everyone else? This website continues to grow, and so does the operating costs.

If you owned an online tackle shop, would you advertise on a website that allows someone to sell tackle at prices below you and everyone else? This website continues to grow, and so does the operating costs.

So does that mean that you buy only from your sponsors??

So if Jim set up a web page and became a sponsor of your site, would that be OK??

Businesses advertise on forums for exposure. This website as any other needs a membership with enough daily traffic to draw sponsorship. That's why you leave the forums open for viewing. This increases daily forum activity. As you know activity from members alone would not encourage much sponsorship.

So does that mean that you buy only from your sponsors??

I am personally sponsored by most of the advertisers here.

So if Jim set up a web page and became a sponsor of your site, would that be OK??

I do not allow nonsponsoring tackle dealers, manufacturers or other companies to post their ads here. Why should I allow this to happen? If Jim wants to set up a buisness, and advertise here, then I do not have a problem.

Businesses advertise on forums for exposure. This website as any other needs a membership with enough daily traffic to draw sponsorship. That's why you leave the forums open for viewing. This increases daily forum activity. As you know activity from members alone would not encourage much sponsorship.

I have to disagree with you on this. The activity from the members here are whats keeping this website going. There is also a private area that only supporting members can access, and another for Charter Captains. Other than the private areas, these forums are completely open to anyone who is registered and logged in here. If you are not registered or logged in, there are limitations. Don't believe me?? Log out and click on 11 different posts, then tell me what you see. ;) I do not required people to post, but if they want to continually read what is being posted on this website, they need to register and become a member.

Mike, if I came across as critical, that was not my intent. Just looking for some answers.

I became a member to join in the fun and participate. So I came in from the cold, so to speak. I do not regret becoming a member in the least and look forward to a long friendship with other members of this board.

This has never been about making money for me it was a suggestion that perhaps we could use the friendships and knowledge we have picked up here and form a group. My plan was to see if there was enough interest to consider doing this and then to put all the numbers together and let everyone know what we could do as a group. I am rather suprised to see the direction the thread has gone as this was not about Mike or his sponsors making money. Since I never intended on going public with any info other than to invite fellow members to join me and a few others to save a few bucks. So other than a ocassional post saying that a few of us would be getting together and having a beer while chatting about what we need there would be no website involvement. If I want a website I will either set one up myself or have a friend do it for me which could even be Mike. I already get pretty good deals on most of my stuff so I for one would save very little by doing it in fact the cost of setting up the business would actually increase my overall cost but my thought was that if enough people were interested a very small group membership fee would cover most of my cost. For some of you however the savings could be pretty good based on where you shop. But keep in mind just like Sams Club and other member stores one time purchases will not save you much.

I am not trying to be a bad guy. I have spent countless hours reading posts, maintaining the software, and spent a whole lot of $$$ on this website over the years. The well being of this website has always been my #1 priority!

I will not keep anyone from starting a buisness or pursuing a dream. If something like this was to happen on a website, it should be kept private, and not posted. ;)