Prep work for year 2 of Fishing

Hello All,

I'm looking for Input on how to really setup my boat for the spring. I have had the luxury of fishing with Ken (aka. Nailer) this past year and he has taught me a ton. I started last summer with two pole holders and two down riggers. Here is what I currently have cooking for spring, but looking for feed back on what else I might be able to do.

First, the boat is an 87’ Four Winns Vista, not the best layout in the back, space is limited.

I have two Cannon Digit-Troll II mounted in the back corners of the boat. They have two holders each. I have two holders mounted flush in the swim deck not much use other than storage.

Currently have 3 pole holders off each side mounted to the bow rail.

I have 2 high line trees in production to mount just inside of the bow rail where the widow starts. They will be made the lowest rod holder at 90deg below the bow rail for dispy, the other two will be @ 50 – 55 degs with 5deg offset toward the front of the boat, with the top of the tree to also be a holder. These trees are looking really good and can't wait to get they welded up and off to powercoat. :):cool::D

I plan to use one of the current bow rail holders as a dispy, the other two rail mounts will be moved forward for extra pole storage while on the water.

Here is what I have for poles:

2 - 8’6†with Okuma CV55L 450’ 30# Copper “newâ€

2 - 8’6†with Okuma MA30D open (plan to use 5 colors of lead) “new reelsâ€

2 - 8’6†with Diawa 57C accudepth 10 colors of lead

2 - 8’6†with no reels right now

2 - 8’6†Shakespeare Arsenal – 20lb mono for rigger

2 - 8’6†Penn - 20lb mono riggers (will stack)

2 – 9’ with Diawa 47 Sealine with braided line for dispy

2- 10' with Okuma CV30L with braided line for dispy “newâ€

Does this look to be a solid setup? :confused:

If you were going to change anything, what?

What should I do with the 8â€6†set with nothing right now on it? Lead 3 colors? Would it be ok to go with another set of the Okuma MA series or should I keep dropping the money on the CV reels?

this will be my second season, last year I made it out 15 times, did not keep very good records. with right around 60+ fish in the boat. :grin:

what is a good goal to set for next season?

I do plan to start a log book. How much information should I collect?

time?, pole? Lure? beers per fish?

Jon

I love my CV reels. but get them now because the price is going up ( I hear ) if it has not done so already. I've gotten to the point where all my reels are convectors. Really happy with them.

If you want a log, I have one. Send me a Private Message with your email and I'll send you the file we use on Just Hook'n. You can modify however you like, but it will give you some ideas. It is sometimes tough to keep up with, but I find (stealing an idea from GLF) that a hand held tape recorder comes in handy when the fishing is fast and furious. Then you can go to the log later and fill it out completely.

Personally I would put 3 color on the rods without a setup right now.

I was pretty happy this summer with 3, 5, 10 and copper setups.

When I add it will be 7 color, but we caught a lot of fish on 3 color this year.

the more I think about picking up two more CV, I think I'm going to do it. I like the idea of 3 color lead for that early am / dusk runs. most of my trips are going to be out of Port Sheldon in the pm during the week. hoping to get out a least a couple of times each week, Weekends will be timed around Kids sports, but I am going to setup a strong defense to block out as much time as I can.

another questions to all - Rod with reels attached storage - I have all these setups hanging from bike hooks in the garage. 4 foot apart. I was ok with this until I put those big cv55 with copper up last night. that alot of wieght hanging up there. should I be worried?

my rod selection this year

2-wire rod

2-powerpro dipsey

3-rigger rods

1-450 copper 45#

1-300 copper 45#

1-150 copper 45#

1-15 color

2-10 color

1-7 color

2-5 color

2-2 color

picked up a couple magda 45s for $29 a piece after my dickssportinggoods reward point discount:grin:

im figuring dive bombs will assist in depth adjustments from there...once i get them to stop tangling when bringing one over the other...i know this is due to me being an r-tard

Sounds like you have a pretty good selection Jon. The Limo should be slamming fish all year. 3 color cores are very versatile. They are good for low light conditions, daylight for steelies, and if the lake turns over can be a king killer. Also good for fishing in front of the pierheads in the fall. I run a 3 color almost every trip. The only thing I can see that you might want to add would be a couple of wire setups for dipsey's or pound ball rigs. But if it's not in the budget this year I wouldn't worry about it. As fas as the Magda's, I don't feel they are made to put up with the abuse salmon put on them. Some people have good luck and the reels last a few years. Other people have had them lock up after just a few trips. I really like my Convectors for leadcore. That is all I run for core now. The large handles are easy on your hand and they have a good retrieve ratio.

Looks like a good start. I agree on the wire diver rods if you can set them up. They are in my best producing rods with mag dipsies during the summer and early fall.

if you are looking for more reels. the fishing show in novi is coming up the weekend of jan 9. the fishin hole out of st joe usually does two reels for a one price. His prices usually set the show price i have noticed over the last six years of woking the shows. you can give them a call during the week and Charlie can tell you what his deals are going to be. He is usually pretty fair about that.

I agree with the wire diver setups as well. they are a good tool for putting fish in the boat, and its a ton of fun fighting fish on the wire line. I would also think about adding a two and a three color. I like using a two color for an SWR rig, our two color SWR was a good producer for us when the fish became less active.

I agree with the wire diver setups as well. they are a good tool for putting fish in the boat, and its a ton of fun fighting fish on the wire line. I would also think about adding a two and a three color. I like using a two color for an SWR rig, our two color SWR was a good producer for us when the fish became less active.

Good idea. Take the penn 209's and put 2 color on them, and use them as a 2 color or SWR (2 color ran of the low rigger).

Jon, you may want to strip 100-150' of copper off one of those reels.

Most of the time the fish will not be 80+ feet down. A 450, and a 300, may be a better option.

Here's a depth chart Diver Dennis put together for 30 and 45 pound copper.

Picture8.png

I pull my 300 copper 45# in 70fow at 2.5 so keep in mind that those numbers can change a lot based on conditions. Also the thing to do is turn the clickers off so the reels are nearly spooled before anyone notices there is a fish on. Jay really likes it when I do that. Nothing like seeing the board dissappear on the horizon as you realize it has a fish on it. Best one was when Steve reeled in the 300 copper got to the board said there was no fish then the fish took off and yanked it out of his hands and striped off over a hunderd yards before he could get it stoped. Or fishing with my wife who points out the down rigger poles are hers the rest are mine to reel in. It is always fun to see everyone knock each other over to get to the rigger rods but no one hurrys to grab the copper or lead core rods.

Thanks for all the reply, it will all help. I'm going to enlist some greener than me, young bucks for the coming summer, I always wondered why Ken and Ryan would leave the lead cores for me???? just so they could keep a brew in hand I guess. but they were always willing to dump half a can down my throat when needed.

• 4 weeks later...

heres my two cents...... If this was my setup, i would not go with any rigger rod bigger than 7ft, mainly because i run small diameter mono on my riggers,secondly i dont like not being able to go over the top of my rods with others.

I run 12-14lb test on all of my riggers,and run andes mono. I have had good luck with the durability of andes.

For your leadcore i would run flouro leaders, with rods bein 8-8'6". much bigger they tend to get tangled with othe rrods in your trees.

As others have recommended i would go with a couple of wire divers, but also have diver rods setup to fish higher in the water column, wire is awesome but early in the year you will be under the fish. I prefer slide divers to any other diver on the market.

Again just my two cents.

JR