options

Phishy

Good golly miss molly, it not even Jan and I’m thinking salmon all too much....

But here she goes, by season's end I was typically in 70 -120 fow and my spread for two people looked something' like this:

2 down riggers off the back, one SWR with 1 color and the other 2 color (27 lb test) 10-15 feet 17lb mono leader and various lures from j-plugs to naked spoons , 10 and 20 feet off the bottom

2 super line dipsies (not mags one smaller, #1's?) Sometimes without rings, other time with, at various settings from 1-3, flasher/dodger and fly usually between 70'-150' line out (averaged 100'-120’)

2 in line planner boards (off shores) with one with 8 color the other 9 color, and 20 '-60' - 17 lb mono with plugs or spoons

My most successful rods where the SWR and planner boards,

I’m struggling to know where my dipsies are set, a couple fish here where caught on them, but I really haven’t figured out the art of them

I have two wires and dipsies that I could run, but I haven't tried them yet

My inquiry is where should I be running my dipises most of the time. I figure they should be pulling fish in from a distance but I can’t seem to get this mental picture of where they are in the spread. Am I running too many lines too far back? I think I’m running an inward w from above and a downward v from the rear .

Thoughts

4_12_3.gif

My inquiry is where should I be running my dipises most of the time. I figure they should be pulling fish in from a distance but I can’t seem to get this mental picture of where they are in the spread. Am I running too many lines too far back? I think I’m running an inward w from above and a downward v from the rear .

Thoughts

4_12_3.gif

If my rigger was set to run 70' down, I would try to hit 60' with the diver (120' out set at 1 with a mag diver). If there's a temp break, try to get every thing that deep.

The nice about the mag divers is, at a 1 setting they will run about %50 of line out.

I never run mine on 3 but it should be roughly 4 to 1 on 3 and 3 to 1 on 1.5 depending on what you have behind them make it about 4.5 to 1 on 3 with flasher fly setup I run my high diver on 2.5 and my wire mag diver on 1.5. I figure the wire is down about 45 to 50 ft at 120 on the counter and it is about where it bounces at depending on speed and current. I have pulled my high divers 120 out in 30ft of water and only bounced bottom a few times on the 2.5 setting. Usually I stick to the 3 to 1 formula for clean spoons and 4 to 1 for flasher fly setups on the high diver that is at 2.5 mph slower they may bounce sooner. Best thing to do is what many of us have done go out and bounce em off the bottom with a few differant setups in 50ft of water at speeds you like to fish at. Remember to go both ways to avg out for any current.

I always run a wire off the port side & a power pro off the starboard (just my choice). about 70% of my fish come off the wire, they say it is the hum of the wire. I run my riggers 10ft. back off the back of the boat & what ever depth I am seeing good hooks. MY wire dipsy is a #o & I start it about 200 to 230ft. back & then ajust it as needed. I am always using my trollers bible to see where my dipsyes are, the #0 set 230ft. back should be about 85ft. deep. I run about 6 to 8 ft. of florocarbon leader off my dipsy / w a snubber.purple is my fav. dipsy to run. Hope this has helped.

If they are out of temp, they will not catch fish. OK....in the fall when the fish are staging, you will catch them out of temp. You may also catch fish out of temp first thing in the morning or last thing at night. Water temp is a very important part in the fishing equation! Get them down in the water column to at least 54 degree water, and they will start producing. ;)

What ended up happening to me at the seasons end was a bit frustrating. I started out with a few fish on the dipsies, then I read something made me take my rings off. Then I did this and that and got all sorts of confused… I started listening to the chatter on the radio and I figure that’s where I zigged when I shoulda zagged…rule number one don’t listen to the chatter on the radio….rule number two go back to what you know…rule number three ask the right people the right questions….

Ever look at a compass when turned around in the woods and tell yourself “that’s not north! “and then go about as though the compass was wrong? That’s’ how I troll sometimes….When I can stop doing that, I’ll be a much better fisherman

Depth (a.k.a. temperature) and speed probably the two most critical mistakes a person can make, have one wrong and you’ll catch fewer fish have them both wrong and likely failure will be the result.