knife sharpener

Depends on the knife for me I have a couple of diamond hone setups along with a few steels and a lap hone. Final product goes to my 6in bench grinder with 2 buffing wheels on it and 2 stages of rubbing compond. Getting em sharp is one thing polishing them sharp is amazing. My dad could get them so sharp it would cut you if you looked close LOL.

I called Forshner and talked to a tech there. I wanted to make sure I got the correct sharpener or steel for my knife. There are many steels to choose from. I told him my model of knife and my application and he gave me the number of the proper steel for my knife. He even told me the correct way to use the steel. It may surprise you. When in doubt go to the manufacturer they are the experts in most cases.

I called Forshner and talked to a tech there. I wanted to make sure I got the correct sharpener or steel for my knife. There are many steels to choose from. I told him my model of knife and my application and he gave me the number of the proper steel for my knife. He even told me the correct way to use the steel. It may surprise you. When in doubt go to the manufacturer they are the experts in most cases.

Hey Andy,

What type of Forshner do you use? And what did the recommend for it? My dad and I use the 12 in cimeter model. Dad likes to use a hard Arkansas stone.

Bob

I use a good old fashioned sharpening stone. Thats what my Dad taught me to sharpen a knife on. I dont know what type of stone mine is made from, so dont ask. Its gray in color and about 12" long, 1/2" thick and about 3 1/2" wide. It was my Dad's grandfathers. IMO its between a finishing stone and a medium grit stone. Seems to be a happy medium and works very nicely for me. The real trick to a sharp knife is not letting it get too dull to start with. A little time spend after each session will save you allot of hassel resharpening latter. If you do this it dont take long to hone it back to a razor. To get it scary sharp i put it on the hard Arkansas Stone.

Hey Andy,

What type of Forshner do you use? And what did the recommend for it? My dad and I use the 12 in cimeter model. Dad likes to use a hard Arkansas stone.

Bob

The model Knife I have is a 40538 the 10" knife. If I was to buy another knife I would get the 12" but it does well. The sharpener does not have a number on it but I remember its what the tech reccomended. Here is a pic of how the tech told me to use the steel. Ultimately you would put the piont of the steel on the table and hold the handle in one hand. Then line up the back of the blade to the short flat edge on the handle to set the angle

12-18-09_2119.jpg:butcher: