Off Shore Boards and releases.

Nailer

In the past I was not that happy with there boards. Mainly because I didn't care for the clip/release system they had. I have 3 or 4 of them laying around. As I was walking around in Gander Mountain today, I discovered the OR18 replacement release. It appears to be a well engineered release, making removal a one handed move. Have many of you used this release?, and do you like it?

OR18_WEB2.jpg

ken ,that is what i have been running for two years now.i wont run anything else,jwheeler will agree:grin: they do not slip down the line and they come off the line easy at the back of the boat.a little expensive but most good products are.

Ok than, a tad bit pricey, but less than a new board. Do you still need to hook the rear clip to your line?

Great reply's, thanks.

Yes!!! you do need to clip the rear release to the line. I never tried it without doing so, but I don't think the board would run properly using only the front release.:)

In the past I was not that happy with there boards. Mainly because I didn't care for the clip/release system they had. I have 3 or 4 of them laying around. As I was walking around in Gander Mountain today, I discovered the OR18 replacement release. It appears to be a well engineered release, making removal a one handed move. Have many of you used this release?, and do you like it?

OR18_WEB2.jpg

I ended up changing my lines to braids for these clips. Broke off a few times on the mono on the Walleye 8 pound test. I didn't like chasing boards, seems they only broke off when all the lines were set. Hmmm. I like them with the braid.

Paul C.

I no longer run in lines off my boat, however, while fishing with jay d I was able to see the advantage of this release. THey rock! Easy on, Easy off. You can release the line from the planer in a very short amount of time, to get right on the fish~ Phatty will be getting a few by spring time as a gift, and am sure he will see the light....

I use them on my Walleye boards Ken and really like them. I have tried every release out there and this is by far the best. I also added a snap weight clip to the back of the board. This is the best, easiest setup that I have found to use for boards.

One thing on the OR18s, they will work if you lock them back or lock them forward. I ALWAYS lock them forward, away from the board. When they are locked forward all it takes is a flip of the thumb and it's free. If you lock it towards the board you will have to fiddle some to get it open. I sometimes have to remind people onboard to do this. The quicker the board is off the better chance you have of landing the fish. A bunch of little things do add up.:)

this is the way i set my off shore sst boards up. the ones in the pics are my buddies churches boards and i really like the offshore sst boards better for heavy long lengths of coppers.

planer_board_setup_004.jpg

planer_board_setup_003_649893.jpg

planer_board_setup_001_892261.jpg

the orange barrel in the front holds in any weather and is very easy to lock your line in. there like 3 or four bucks. the one in the back is an or16 release. this release has a pin in it and locks it to the line and will not rerlease. when a fish hits the front release pops and you watch the board fall to the center back of the boat. fight the fish not the board, when the board comes over the side a guy reaches up one handed and squeezes the release removing it from the line and you fight the fish the rest of the way to the back of the boat without a board in the way. with the split rings like offshore says these will ride any weather and not dive.

I tried the barrel releases and had nothing but problems. Either I put them in too far and couldn't get them out or not far enough and they were always coming out. I tried them for a whole season but took them off and replaced them with the new Offshore ones that Ken asked about. I do use the OR 16's in the rear though for the same reasons you stated.

I have 6 Offshore inlines with an OR-18 in the front & an OR-16 in the rear. These releases hold the line nicely.

The only gripe I have is that to modify an existing board with these release upgrades runs about $20 per board. :(

Too bad you can't buy one pre-modified with a cheaper price point.

I have 6 Offshore inlines with an OR-18 in the front & an OR-16 in the rear. These releases hold the line nicely.

The only gripe I have is that to modify an existing board with these release upgrades runs about $20 per board. :(

Too bad you can't buy one pre-modified with a cheaper price point.

OR18 about $10

OR16 about $4

OR18 about $10

OR16 about $4

Frank-

That's a great deal for those releases!

The prices I was quoting came from the Offshore website. Below are the price quotes taken from that website.

OR18 Snapper Adjustable Tension In Line Planer Board Release

Pkg. of 1: $14.75 U. S. Funds

OR16 Snap Weight Clip With Split Ring

Pkg. of 2: $11.00 U. S. Funds

$14.75 + $5.50=$20.25 without any sales tax or shipping added to the final cost.

I don't know when, but should the patent run out then they will be a lot cheaper when others come out with knockoffs.

So far I like my churches the way I run them. However I don't run more than 5 colours of leadcore.

I have 2 Church and 2 Offshore boards. The Churches I run inside and the Offshores on the outside of the spread.

Each is set for a specific application and they stay that way!

And yes, I have changed out the clips.