saginaw bay

i would like to take a trip out that way this winter and try for some walleye thru the ice...ive never been there so i might be advised not to do it..ive heard you almost need a guide....what techniques do you use?how do you go about finding them?please,please,please no dnr,wolves or cougar posts:(

I have done it several times over the last 20 or so years. You don't need a guide...just common sense. It used to be I never started fishing until I found a hole with the ice piled high around it or blood around it. Now I tend to go out and look for my own spots. I am sure Adam will have more to say about this.:D

Saginaw Bay is something you can definitely do on your own, just dont go alone and use common sense. Also, find out the current conditions. You can PM me anytime about them. Crossing cracks and ice jams are a way of life out there, but you must exercise caution when doing so. I always bring a spud and park well back from any crack or jam and inspect it thouroughly with the spud before proceeding. And if its too bad, dont push your luck cause your just asking for trouble. No fish is worth it. Ive seen it too many times out there. Also, keep the wind direction in mind when out there. If its blowing outta the SW like it is today and there are cracks out there, theres a good chance that they may open up. Depending on how locked in the bay is, that crack could open up just a bit or a whole lot. So, on days like this, dont push your luck....Good safety equipment is also a good idea should you run into trouble out there. A long rope with a large loop tied in the end thats on the front of EVERY machine and readily accessible, floatable device, ice pics, cell phone and GPS. For me the rope is most important as it can get someone out fast and effisciently. If someone were to fall in they could quickly get that loop over their body and under their arms. That way if their extremeties fail in the cold you can still pull them in and save them...This is worst case, not common place, just prepare for the worst, afterall this is ice fishing on the big water and outside helps isnt gonna be there ASAP. A long tow strap is also a good idea should you come acrossed someone in need out there. People get stuck in slush snow and in the cracks. Its always nice to lend a helping hand. Unfortunately not everyone stops to help...dont be that guy....I know some of this sounds bad, its not meant to scare you off. Its meant to remind you of what can happen out there and how to be prepared for it.

As far as techniques to catch fish, traditionally most jig spoons, jigs or swimbaits on one or two rods or jigged one rod and set the other as a deadstick. With the new three rod rule im sure some will jig two and use one for a dead stick. Personally i jig one rod and concentrate on my presentation and then set a dead rod for walleye with a small jig. With the three rod rule ill still jig one and then set two dead sticks. One for walleye and one for whitefish since they move down into the bay during the winter months.

Productive baits for me include my homemade Adam Bomb, Northland makes a Fireye jig that is nearly identical, 1/8-3/8 oz, Northland Fireball Jigs in 1/16-3/8 oz, Northland Buckshot Rattle Spoons 1/8-3/8 oz, Bay De Noc Do Jiggers-#1 is my favorite size, 1/4 and 1/3 oz. Little Cleos, 1/8 OZ. BPS Flashy Times spoons, Lindy Flyers in 1/4 oz, Northland Airplane jigs in the original and new models and Jiggin Rapalas round out a good variety.

I like to use 28-32" rods, i fish outside most of the time. Im a big fan of the now discontinued 32" MH Rapala Graphite rods, but also use 28" Med in the same model as well as 28" M in St. Croix's.

As far as reels, i prefer a reel with a good drag as a good drag will land you allot of fish. Too many people buy a chincy reel and in the cold conditions the drag doesnt perform and when it sticks they end up ripping fish off at the hole. I use Shimano Sedona 500's and Phlueger Trions. Theyre a nice mid range reel that are smooth and have a good drag to them. And itll come in handy when you have on that trophy walleye, laker, big channel cat etc...

In regaurds to line ive used 8# berkley XL for years, but in the last few have been converting over to 8# Power Pro for its superior feel. One draw back is that if you fish outside it does ice up. I attach a fluorocarbon leader to the Power Pro, then attach my lure to that. Gives it back that stealth in the clear winter water.

As far as finding and catching fish consistantly on the Bay, you will need some sort of transportation as well as electornics of some sort. I use a Honda four wheeler and a Vexilar flasher. A GPS with a bay chip is a good tool to have as well as it allows you to hit the breaks, points and humps out there. Not to mention if some white out condition sneak up on you in a hurry then you can find your way home. Plus, following your plot trail back also ensure a safe route...But be mindful of the cracks and mark them. They can and sometimes do change throughout the day. In regaurds to the fish, generally speaking, earlier on in the winter, the deeper water produces better. Thats not to say you cant get in tight, its just more consistant out deep. So, head out to say 15' and pop a hole. Im a proactive angler and im sure youll get other opinions on this, but i only fish a spot 15-30 minutes depending on what i see. If im seeing fish ill stick it out. If i dont see something in the first 15 minutes i move on. Ill move north or south down a break trying to locate fish. I might only move a 1/8 mile or so and reset. If after a couple moves, i cant locate anything ill move east or west going either shallower or deeper. For me, midday, i normally go deeper and in the evening ill go shallower if i have to....Bottom line, be mobile. Despite all the fish in the system i find it easier to go to them than wait for them to come to you.

As far as my jigging technique, it ranges from simple lift drops and holds to quivering the jig or spoon, fluffing the bottom, or swimming it away from the fish. What i do is largely determined by the bait i have on, and the mood of the fish....which is where the flasher really pays dividends. It normally doesnt take long for you to tell the mood of the fish by how it reacts to your presentation. Then you can adjust from there. Theres no hard and fast rules, experiment and find out what works for you.

Well, thats enough for now. I hope that makes sense and im sure i may have left something out. Any other questions feel free to ask here or PM me and ill do my best to help you out.

Sniffer.

Here's a couple of links (with pictures) to articles I wrote quit a few years back, specifically about ice fishing the Saginaw Bay. But the tips still apply and might still give you some insight.;) The keywords for ice fishing on the Bay for me are "Plan ahead" "Be aware" "Stay aware" and "Have fun".

http://www.saginawbay.com/tips/hwater.html

http://www.saginawbay.com/tips/last-ice.html

Nope.

I sold it because of the sheer weight I was hauling out. A lot of stress on a 250 for what I was hauling out every time. Bought the 4 wheel drive 400 Big Bear instead. But don't get me wrong, if the snow is not deep or the slush no bad, 2 wheel drive quads (with chains) are still plenty enough, especially if it's just you and your own gear. Chains are a must to me and not because they have more pull. When and if I want to stop fast becasue of any danger, (especially near cracks and un-seen open water) the chains stop you right now. Often the key to easy/safe ice travel on the Saginaw Bay is how long it has been after a heavy snow fall or how long a warming trend has been around. Because then when given enough time, even after a big snow event, the sheer number of guys and machines going out over a period of time will wear a road/trail that even a bike could fallow and run out on. Then just pull off anywhere from this trail and start fishing.:grin:

Edited by Walleye Express

• 4 weeks later...

I started fishing the bay with dumb luck and was never skunked once, I started moving if we didnt get a hit in 30-45 min I found that it rarely took more than 5 or 6 moves to find a produtive spot. Now I start on structure that I mark during the summer and I m rarely on the bay more than 5 or 6 hours.

For safety if you dont feel safe crossing a crack where someone else did dont find another spot. I routinley see quads with a set of wheels stuck or boged down in the slush that work up thru the cracks.

Good luck Steve