Cougar killed in MI

steeliebob

This is how our DNR keeps us informed on current situations. In Mesick, Michigan on 09/10/2009 a local resident shot and killed a cougar in his back yard after the animal first attacked his dogs then turned on him. The homeowner armed with a handgun placed 9 rounds into the cougar killing it. For those of you who do not know where Mesick is it is between Cadillac and Traverse City in the LP. I am furious that the DNR is keeping this hussh hush until now. I will email pics to anyone who wants them.

If one of the moderators will send me an email address I will forward the atricle w pics and they can post it. I can only hope that the DNR will post public access areas that these animals are present and that they are dangerous. Now I am really considering purchasing a handgun for personal protetection and self defense against all of the dnr friendlies

This is how our DNR keeps us informed on current situations. In Mesick, Michigan on 09/10/2009 a local resident shot and killed a cougar in his back yard after the animal first attacked his dogs then turned on him. The homeowner armed with a handgun placed 9 rounds into the cougar killing it. For those of you who do not know where Mesick is it is between Cadillac and Traverse City in the LP. I am furious that the DNR is keeping this hussh hush until now. I will email pics to anyone who wants them.

Its been pretty much debunked...the "DNR" officer in the picture I saw was not a michigan DNR officer. Please post the pics!!

Just fyi

This past october My neigbors up by my cabin in Bitley who are retired almost hit a Couger with there car over by Greening lake wich is about 2 to 3 miles west of the village of Bitley. For those who dont know where that is it is about 5 miles south of Baldwin.

This is how our DNR keeps us informed on current situations. I am furious that the DNR is keeping this hussh hush until now. I will email pics to anyone who wants them.

Robert, first off, this story has been floating around for quite some time, and likely not true.

Secondly, if true, and they had the story out everywhere, what do you thing would happen?

All the Tree and Bunny hug rs in Michigan would demand protection from the Feds. Then you would end up with the same thing you hate so much with the Wolves. Give the DNR a break! I, as well as most think they do a very good job.

I would like to see a few more fishing reports from you, from that fine area you live in.

Do you have any other photos from your fishing adventures? If so post them, Here

If nothing else, go out and take a photo or two of the bridge during a blizzard. We would all like to see that.

Edited by Nailer

Its been pretty much debunked...the "DNR" officer in the picture I saw was not a michigan DNR officer. Please post the pics!!

NOT MICHIGAN! Try New Mexico. At least according to this with attached photos.......

http://www.upnorthlive.com/news/story.aspx?id=352016

DNR report on another sighting...........

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10371_10402-225573--,00.html

You are absolutely right, there is no proof that this is a Michigan CO. I looked at the pick up and you cannot see the license plate. If anyone has any info on this scenerio please provide it. Ken, how about if I send you my deer hunting photos instead???

You are absolutely right, there is no proof that this is a Michigan CO. I looked at the pick up and you cannot see the license plate. If anyone has any info on this scenerio please provide it. Ken, how about if I send you my deer hunting photos instead???

Sorry but I don't hunt much if any, these days. The only photo I have is this one of Jacob 2 years ago.

IMG_4455_edited-1.jpg

The cougar was shot in New Mexico and it is a New Mexico Game Warden Pictured

See this link DNR

I repeat, A lot of us like what the DNR does for this state, and get sick of people continually bashing them.

End of story.

Edited by Nailer

So this is the way I see it Robert.

You accuse the DNR for not releasing the false story, But when they do release a true story where are you? This one

I repeat, A lot of us like what the DNR does for this state, and get sick of people continually bashing them.

End of story.

Thanks Ken! I knew I heard about the cougar in Michigan and was looking for the story. Thanks for the link!

My deer camp is about 3 miles south of bitley. I thought I saw a cougar this past summer but still to this day am not 100% sure. I was told I was crazy by everyone at camp but I know bobcats dont have long tails and are the size for a deer. Joe did they kill that cougar when they hit it?

My folks live in the Bitely area (actually on Liley lake). Neighbors have pictures of a large cougar that was hit back in the 90s, so we know they HAVE BEEN in the area. the question I think that everyone is trying to figure out is how recently they have been in the area, or whether they are in the area currently. The answer is YES. We've seen them between Byron Center and Zeeland. We had tracks at the cottage near Bitely during construction (within the last 4 years). I'm sure they are here, but not in great numbers.

im sure there are alot of things in the woods and waters that people say arent supposed to be there. theres just to many places for them little buggers to hide and most animals do it well when they want to. as for the dnr they do the best they can on the amount of money they are alotted

The resurgence of deer herds and wild turkeys around the great lakes region and north America has given predators an easy and unlimited food source.

Here in Ontario the coyote population has exploded.

The cougar is also known as a mountain lion, panther and puma.

It's home range is from Alaska to Florida to south America.

They are a nocturnal hunter for the most part but when pushed by hunger will hunt during daylight and have little fear of man.

Mark I agree, they are here, but not in great numbers. I certainly would not like to meet one face to face!!!

• 2 weeks later...

We keep hearing cougar stories here in Northest Pa and southern tier of NY too. But still no pics to prove anything. I havent heard a good UFO story since everybody and their brother got digital cameras, phone cameras either.