Fly preferences

Phishy

well it's here winter.....not quite winter in my book as I consider winter the time I ice fish so it presently between ice fishing winter and not quite the end of deer hunting season winter, but still a resemblance of winter as it friggen snowed an absurd amount in 12 hours…seen worse but I like to complain… I digress…

Flies and tying them…I’ve dabbled with spinner rigs for walleyes and even caught fish on my creations. I tied snell knot in tandem with hooks in the size 1 octupus variety on 17 lb fluorocarbon line with a few beads in various colors blah blah blah……I did a nice job…they worked and now I have too many to possibly use in the next five years…self control…out the window…credit card … finally have that down to zero.. for now..

My question pertains to the tinsel variety of the art of tying rigs. Line poundage? Type (assume fluorocarbon) tandem hooks? Treble hooks? Hook size??..Why? Do you add little spinner in front of the Christmas decoration that is supposedly resembling an alewife being slashed by a salmon? How about a trailing spinner? Other spinny things? Colors not so important to me, I’m going to indulge in glow, greens of various varieties, blues and pearls and whatever else seems to appeal to my whimsical ways….mix and match

Ahh and tubes, I’ve seen the little straws from WD40 cans, air tubing from aquarium hose, straws from q-tips ( Nice !!)…

The real expense will probably be line, so I want to get it right. I retied a bunch of flies I inherited from my uncle, but I used 30 lb mono. I’ve been reading and perhaps I was too light in my choice of line, i can retie if need be and now is the time…

Thoughts?

Thanx!

For me I use 40lb Gamma Flouro leader usually snell on 4/0 singles sometimes trebles but lately mostly singles. Sometimes I put glow beads between the hooks. Never put any blades or spinners on any of my flies but have put wobble glo's on them when combat fishing. I bought a bunch of glow squid heads that I tie onto but still trying to figure out a good holder have treid a couple ideas on my fly vise but nothing I really like so far.

Siggs Rigs Banded Mylar

4/0 Gamakatsu Singles

Ive used 40-60# Fluorcarbon Leader Material, never noticed any difference in the amount of strikes with the varying poundage.

Gold Star Roller Beads and Mag fly heads to tie the tinsel to.

Fisher Tackle 12 mm Ultra Glow beads

Fisher Tackle Rattling Fly heads that slip on over a mag fly head on some of my flies.

Ive also tied in those northland jig rattles on some of my flies.

For me the nuts and bolts of the rig are the hooks and leader material. Get some good quality hooks and be sure they stay razor sharp and then use a leader material because its shock and abrasion resistant which you need to hold up to the violent thrashing a big king dishes out.

Me thinks I was too light with my leader material...As stated i used 30 lb mono since it was what i had on hand

I presume since i went so light, my fly whipped around too much which would explain some of my failures this past season.

Thanx for the info, I'll put some pix up of my creations when i get around to trying a few up...

About 4 years ago I went to a fishing seminar with my father in law. The guys kept it simple Owner treble hooks Gamikutsu singles Gamma 40lb Flouroleader Ande mono line and Power Pro braid. They only used 2 knots the Worlds Fair knot and the Palomar. They basicly stressed keeping it simple with stuff that works and once you get your pattern working make minor tweeks as needed. Most that fish with me will tell you I don't make a lot of changes once I have a spread down that I like I feel it is up to me to drive the boat to the fish and when I find them the spread will work. As such I try to put down a bunch of options and when something works I will add more of it. I don't pay much attention to the BS on the radio as many times I have met the guys talking about how great they are doing at the dock to find out they actually only got a fish or 2. I think Salmon are not as picky as other fish and it really comes down to are they hungary and does your bait look like a meal to them. For that reason I prefer to keep moving and target more aggressive fish rather than to sit in a area and try and find something they will hit. I think the heavier Flouroleader material puts a more consistant action in the fly and works best on flasher setups on dodger setups I like a little lighter leader material like a 25 or 30lb Flouroleader. And lengthen my lead between the dodger and lure to 4 or5 times the dodger length for flies and 3 to 5 ft of leader for spoons.

• 4 weeks later...

We use #50 Berkly Big Game for all our flies and meat riggs, haven't seen any differance in the hook up rate between that and the floracarbons. the heavier stiffer line imparts a little better action to the fly. the biggest advantage is the number of fish you can catch per fly or meat rigg before having to retie hooks.

We use #50 Berkly Big Game for all our flies and meat riggs, haven't seen any differance in the hook up rate between that and the floracarbons. the heavier stiffer line imparts a little better action to the fly. the biggest advantage is the number of fish you can catch per fly or meat rigg before having to retie hooks.

Good point Yoda.

Siggs sells skirts separately, and has nice stuff.

Sigg's Rigs.

• 2 years later...