camera on boats

I have played around with camcorders and webcams on my boat. The biggest issue I have come across is how to get the whole back of the boat in the image. I have a wide angle lens on my camcorder, and it is still not wide enough.

You will need to come up with a way of mounting it to your boat to stablize the image. Then you have to worry about boat vibrations.

If you have a rocket launcher I have seen guys mount the camera to a short rod and then mount that in a holder. Kind of an overhead view but you can see a lot of the boat. I think they just taped a cloth around the rod in order to get a snug fit in the holder.

i was thinking of clamp on style on to the front of the windsheild i hoping this works.

You will have to try it and check for vibrations. You may need to come up with something with some sort of vibration dampener. The one problem I ran into, is that it seems like someone is always standing in front of the camera. :confused:

If you have a radar arch or a hardtop I would try mounting the camera up there. If you want to capture the entire back deck I would first try using a good wide angle lens, and if that is not wide enough you could go to a fish eye lens. The only problem with using a fish eye would be the image distortion. If the image is vibrating or bouncing around to much I would load the footage into a editing program. Many of the editing programs have image stabilizing features that work pretty well on stationary shots.