FISHON fish off

This is posted in the Walleye Forum but I think it applies to Salmon also.

Fighting fish on the back of the boat with the rod pointing skyward, seems to be the norm. Sometimes it is necessary to do this, because of what is being run off the sides, but I don't think this is the best way to fight and win. How many fish get off right at the back of the boat?? I know I'm going to get some flack, but keep an open mind. We have all heard over the years that we need to keep the rod tip up. By keeping the rod tip high we put an upward angle on the fish. As the fish gets closer to the boat the upward pressure gets greater. A fish just out of nets reach splashing on the surface, has a good chance of getting off. If it's possible I like to play the fish with the rod level and pointed sideward. The fish still has to fight the rod, but it is not forced to the surface prematurely. When the fish is close, the rod can go skyward. When the fish breaks the surface he should be in the net. I know Kings and Steel will take to the air no matter what we do, and we all enjoy the show. Next time you have a corner open try it with the rod to the side.

I first thought of this when I watching the videos off of this site. In one of the episodes they were on a few boats during a tournament. At one point the captain was yelling at the guy reeling in the fish to keep his rod tip down. I think this would be a good idea for a few reasons. One: If your rod tip is up and your rod is heavily flexed it is less forgiving to a fish that turns and runs. If a fish turns and runs when you have your rod tip down the fish should be able to freely pull line through the drag without the resistance of the line going through the eyes. Two: If you have a fish take a run at the boat and you rod is down you will be able to bring your rod tip up and take up slack in the line faster than if your rod tip was up to begin with. This is just my non-expert opinion.

I learned the rod down technique while river fishing for iron noggins and bass fishing tournaments. Keeping the rod down adds up to more fish in the net.

Sometimes on the boat salmon or walleye fishing it just is not possible, depending on rod holder or rigger placement on the boat and what rod happens to have the fish on it.

In essence there is no right or wrong answer. I do of course have a theory and my way that works best for me. But each fisherman uses his own techniques to land his fish. Some may even be dictated by the size and configuration of your boat.

But first a disclaimer. I know (or at least from what I've read all summer) Frank 90% of the time uses mostly heavy bottom bouncers to get down in deep water, ahead of and teamed with harnesses when fishing. These will IMO both change the angled dynamics of the fishes fight and make a walleye act different when hooked, fought and landed near the boat. I on the other hand (in most cases) use mostly light crankbait's, free of any other weight (other then occassional light keels), that might act as a fulcrum or lever for the fish to work against and get off. This is why IMV you/I need to hold the rod high, to act as a buffer to the fishes thrashings, rather near the surface or deep under it. Especially if we're talking strictly walleye, I have to be the one thorn in the side of Frank's theory.

Fact one IMV. What I've proven to myself in all these years of chartering and trolling, is the longer a walleye is on, the more chance of it's getting off. Walleye have a hard bone/webb skinned mouth. They wear quickly a bigger hole in their lips/jaws from the hooks as they fight their way in, especially at faster trolling speeds that generate more/heavier drag. The least bit of slack, a stiff/straight rod without a proper set drag setting, or without the tempered cushion from a rod held high, and he'll either spit the hook out the big hole he's made or pulls it out from uncushioned force. That's also why I never pump a walleye in.

Fact two IMV. Most walleyes of small to medium size will come to the top soon after being hooked, especially when trolling cranks 1.8 or faster. 1.8 or faster is a fast speed for Bottom bouncer and harness users. Again, with the crank, no heavy weight ahead of the fish to keep him turned down even slightly when being fought. And to slow your retrieve down, or straighten the rod to let them go back down is IMV a waist of time, invites and allows "fact one" to happen. Rod high and direct the fish were you want him for netting. Slow/steady pressure while reeling steadily, while bowing to the fish with the rod when neccessary, allowing no slack when and if the fish gets some unexpected energy, is still the best way IMHO.;)

Edited by Walleye Express

Dan,

Just for the record you're never a thorn, and I respect your opinion.:) I knew there would be different opinions, when I started the thread.:)

I do agree with a few things you posted above.

1. The walleyes mouth structure.

2. Neva pump a walleye.:) (goes back to mouth structure)

3. Boat configuration does enter into this picture.

I fish cranks also when the situation calls for it. I do get a tempered cushion from the rod held low and to the side, even with cranks. Fish were made to swim, so I like to keep them under the water. When they see my ugly face, it's too late, they are in the net.:D I did mention in my thread that it is not always possible to do what I was suggesting, boat configuration and what is being run at the time. I do play a few up the gut, and from now on I'll think of you when I do.:lol: Thanks for adding your valued opinion, that I'm sure others share with you.:) Good discussion is what it is all about.

Great topic for sure.

Being a stout salmon and lake trout fisher for many years I have developed my own personal preference. Though not without faults it has been quite successful.

I like to keep my drags firm but not too tight. I like to be able to pressure the fish early and get it working towards the boat. Once the fish is near I will loosen the drag a touch. (I use all Diawa 27H reels so it is real easy

to just sligtly move the drag star) I feel that once close to the boat that

all fish get that extra wind and dive away. It is then I do bow down and let them run. Keeping lighter steady pressure on the fish fish with a looser drag seems to help keep the hooks in the fish and not pulling out. I like to try to keep the fish off the surface (like Frank suggest) until you are ready to dip it. The fish is reeled in as close as needed to net then the rod is elevated to bring it into the net.

As far as the skimmers, well we just haul them in. They just don't have the energy or strength to put up a battle to be concerned about.