need a new fish finder

Line Dancin

I have a eagle 480 df which when i got it it was a great unit for great lakes fishing. well after 5 years of nothing but problems and 4 transducers it failed me again at the end of the season. the GPS works great but the fishfinder has never shown a fish past 40 ft but showed the bottom. Now even after all the problems i was told earlier this week tough luck send it in and pay this time. even though it has been recurring and they were taking care of me after the warranty. I have been reading on the new hds units that lowrance has and i have only read where one person actually has had zero problems. The people that have them and have the problems say cust service is now horrible to deal with. so i am starting to look at a new combo fish finder gps unit. the 5 inch screen units are the size typically that will fit on my dash. i dont want to spend any more than 650 on a new unit. what would you guys suggest. no lowrance or eagle units. what about the hummingbird 788 unit? i was told it was a nice unit by both cabelas and bass pro.

I have been a Lowrance fan for over 20 yrs, not anymore. I am sold on Raymarine. Bought a C120 System Pack and Love it. I am a little disapointed in the Navionics card I put in it as it doesn't show the depth contours out deep. The unit itself is awesome.

line dancin ask j wheeler or alleyes where they got theres i am sure they were less than $600 dollars to your door for a dsx 500.fishcatcr i have a c-80 and when i bought my chip they sent me a fishing chip too that has the conture lines.the chip i am using says greatlakes and maritimes cf/14 jan 07 the serial number is sn000600481700 from navionics,you should be able to trade in the old one.you have to talk to a sales person that knows what they are talking about to get the right one

anybody looking foa a higher end graph/plotter,cabelas has raymarine a series for sale in their bargain barn i think it was about $400 to 500 dollars cheaper than normal around $1100 i think great deal if you are thinking about sattalite weather

with the humming bird units how is the bas map. With lowrance you have to at leaset have their freedom maps to have anythjing accurate at all. for example coming into ludington with my old unit and no map the peirheads are shown way south of where they actually are. so if you arent using the bas map you would beach your boat. Do you need the navionivcs chart for this unit? how much detail does it add?