UP Wolves

steeliebob

The Michigan DNR claims that the UP can sustain a wolf population of about 2000 wolves and there is a possibility of a wolf hunting season. There is also a possability that there will never be a wolf hunting season. Right now they estimate that there are between 500 and 700 wolves in the UP. I find it ironic that deer numbers are always estimated on the high side and wolf numbers are always underestimated. I am by no means an expert on deer numbers but I do know that they are way down in the UP. I cannot believe how the DNR does their math, in the future they may sell 100 wolf licenses for what about $100 ea which equals $10000. Lets underestimate but I believe about 25000 residents and non residents of the UP will not be buying a Michigan deer license next year at $30 ea or $750,000. How long is the DNR willing to eat this loss of revenue? What about the UP businesses who rely on sportsmen to support them? They have already proven that they will jump ice flows to migrate to the lower penninsula. It is only a matter of time and the lower penninsula will have breeding packs. A wolf is a non game species the same as a cougar, the DNR has a fund to collar them, tag them and chase them around the woods. This money comes right out of your license money plus some federal dollars which comes from the money you spend on guns and ammo. So you live and hunt in the lower penninsula and you don't believe that the wolves in the UP will effect you. Just wait another 5 years and look up this post. Somebody please show this post to a DNR biologist I am willing to bet that they will not disagree with me.

I understand your frustration. I think your numbers are a bit off. A licence is $15 not $30. 25,000 hunters not going to hunt the UP next year? It is more about getting away and tradition, than the quality of hunting. I believe, over the past year, that the hard winter has had more influence than the wolfs did. The DNR has made some changes in the right direction.

With that said, I intend on deer hunting in the UP next year for the first time. Perhaps a first hand experience will change my mind.

Good luck hunting where there is no deer. Be sure to bring your CCW and a hand cannon to fend off wolves. I wouldn't be caught dead up there after (or before) dark with less than a 45 in my pocket.

The word I am hearing is that locals shoot the wolves and put them in the river (so the tracking beacon keeps moving). That way when the dnr notices that it has stopped they don't come out to your property to look for the dead wolf.

When the locals start self regulating the issues, you know there is a problem. Whether the DNR wants to admit it or not.

The numbers are in and I wasn't too far off 48000 less deer licenses sold this year from last year and if I recall right last year was down too. Where have all the hunters gone DNR???? Make up your excuses don't blame it on wolves and poor resource management though.

I have been hunting west of Marquette for 18 years now and about 8 years ago we really started noticing them. When hunting in the bow season one year we had a pack of 9 chase a nice buck right past one of our stands. Talking to the locals now htey are getting hit by cars and being seen on a regular basis while guys are logging in the winter months. I also had a decoy out once and had a lone wolf come to within about 50yds of it and sit and watch it for 20 minutes before figuring out that it was not real enough for "dinner". Different studies show that a wolf will kill for fun unlike a lot of other preditors and that an adult wolf will take down between 25 and 35 deer on average each year. Add that in with our pack of 9 that has more than probably quadrupiled and you are losing hundreds of deer each and every year. On another note we still continue to shoot an abundance of does and 2 bucks each????????????? We'll never be compared to the great states of deer management like Ill,Iowa,Nebraska and Kansas until we figure out how to manage our deer properly even though we have all the same crops and cover that these great states have.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Great post Gun. I think we need to change our regs as well to help gain age structure within our herd as well as antlerless harvest where its needed. Most bucks killed are 1.5 yr old deer. Im in favor of a one buck rule and doe harvest where needed. That will balance our herd and our buck herd will get some age on them, there will be more and better bucks as well. A few years of that and you would see a big difference in the amount of bucks seen as well as the quality of bucks seen and taken.

I am unsure on exactly how the wolves fit into the equation. I hunt Canada where there are a lot of wolves, and the deer herd is definately smaller. But much healthier. Of course there are far fewer hunters also. And wolf season is open. I think at sometime it will balance out. Maybe not in our lifetime tho.