Where is your #1 port to fish on Lake Michigan

Mine would have to be Frankfort. Frankfort is a nice place to go camping and go fishing. The fish seems to be bigger there and you do not have to go very far out to hit deep water. I even have better luck fishing at night. Also the scenery looking back at the shore line is great. I sure wish I lived closer there because I would fish there every weekend.

Rich

Manistee would have to be 2nd

I would have to say St. Joe is my favorite. Only fished this side of the lake for one season... Port Sheldon seemed very nice, but needs to deepen the area around the launch, ditto on Snug Harbor in Muskegon. I like Manistee, but not real excited about running the river from Insta Launch (again shallow water), so I guess I'd have to say that Ludington is my 2nd favorite port.

On the west side it would have to be Manistee. But like Wayne said about Insta Launch, never again will I launch out of there and my boat is smaller than Wayne's.

I really need to get up there to Frankfort sometime. I have heard the same things you say about it Rich from others.

I Would Have To Say Saugatuck Becouse It Only About 20 Min. From My Home And I Can Usally Catch Our Limet Or Very Close To In Most Day And Agood Mix Of Fish I Also Fish Port Sheldon From Time To Time And Have Been To Ludington And Did Not Like The Big Crowds But Did Like The Number Of Fish Saugatuck Is Normaly Not Bussy At All Normal Day Less Than 30 Boats Fishing

I am with Rich, Frankfort is a real nice port. A buddy, my brother and I use to go up there a couple times a year, then they wimpped out and I haven't been there in a few years. Manistee or Ludington would be a close second.

Hey Steve,

Maybe this year if you like to. Maybe we can go up to Frankfort on Memorial weekend and try it. I went up there last year and did very good. Probly go Friday and leave there on Sunday morning.

Rich

Hey Steve,

Maybe this year if you like to. Maybe we can go up to Frankfort on Memorial weekend and try it. I went up there last year and did very good. Probly go Friday and leave there on Sunday morning.

Rich

Sounds good to me Rich. I will let the boss know he better not count on me for that weekend.

I love the port of Manistee. However, I would really like to fish Frankfort sometime. Too bad it's nearly a three hour drive. Traverse City is right up there too. Anytime you can go on east bay and be able to fish days were you would be blown off at other ports is fine by me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

My two favorite ports would have to be St.Joe from April to the first of July and Manistee from Firts of july to october. These are two special ports to me for the fact as a Kid I was lucky growing up with a father Who was of the first generation to start fishing the great lakes for salmon and so we always had a boat and those are the two ports we fished every year. Not to mention the fishing was phenominal, especially back in the early to mid 80's for coho in St.joe. Now a days we fish southhave alot. 1 Its the closest port to my home and 2 its the qickest to get on and off the lake with the exeption of Manistee where the launch it right in the herbor moulth.