Asian Carp in Great Lakes

kuz

See in today's paper the University of Notre Dame found that the carp have breached the river into the shipping canal. Now it is a matter of time.

www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/70573047.html

Mlive.com

Detroit Free Press

This is a quote from the Detroit Free Press

The DNA was detected in a channel that splits off the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal below Chicago, and leads to Lake Michigan, known as the Cal-Sag channel.

“That is what we understand,” said Jennifer Nalbone, director of Great Lakes United’s campaign against invasive species.

DNA testing of water samples near the electric barrier on the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal taken beyond the barrier and Lake Michigan on Sept. 23 and Oct. 1 shows the presence of Asian carp about 1 mile south of the O’Brien Lock, about 8 miles from Lake Michigan, the Army Corps of Engineers and other agencies said today.

Previously, DNA of Asian carp has been found a mile below the barrier.

“This DNA evidence is the best we have, and we believe it’s very accurate. But what we have not done is to find an actual carp body in these areas where sampling is telling us their genetic material may be. We still have not seen an actual carp show up.”

Edited by GLF
Added additional links and information

Adam.

That may have just been another carp species of some sort. I caught a specie of Buffalo carp last year on the Saginaw, and thought it was a Big Head myself until the DNR identified it. Big Heads and Silvers are also both Plancton filter feeders, so it's my guess that nobody caught that dumpster turd conventionally on hook and line. :lol: And few (if any) people I've ever seen will take the time to pick up a dead carp to simply toss it in the dumpster. I hope enough people know what these things at least kinda look like so if any of them do show up they call the DNR like I did to report it. These fish may be the most serious threat to our Great lakes then anything we've seen up until now. They need to poison their natal river on a regular basis and install a permanent (leak proof) barriers NOW before it's to late for all of us.

Edited by Walleye Express

Click on the detroit free press and watch vidoe I & video II about these carp. The number of fish in the rivers is insane! KILL EM ALL!!! They are nothing but bad news for the great lakes. How is it possible that more has not been done about this sooner?

i have a idea, why not sell them for cat food instead of netting alwives.

but i agree KILL THEM ALL!:butcher:

Actually they thought about it but decided aginst. They did not want to creat a demand for for fear everyone would want to grow them for extra money.

Joe

They were first brought here to clean up the catfish ponds down south. No one fore saw what would happen if things flooded and now we are stuck with the after math.

i know some of them were introduced to help treat sewage problems.hope they dont make it to the lake but with the way our government works they will be a day late and a dollar short with their response.it will be a sad day my friends:mad:

i know some of them were introduced to help treat sewage problems.hope they dont make it to the lake but with the way our government works they will be a day late and a dollar short with their response.it will be a sad day my friends:mad:

That's what is really worrysome, is that there is talk that they are close, well I hope they're not, but it is possible that they are already in the lake hopefully not in any numbers. Regardless, they need to be wiped out!!!!!:angry2:

You can be assured that if the "government" says they are close, they are already here. They are always behind the game. Just look at their "plan". We know they are passed the barrier and we are going to wait until December to poison the river. GREAT. Wait for the problem to get worse before we plan to do anything about it.