Opening day

mattmishler

The morning was a great morning to be in the woods it wasnt hot and not to cold no fog just right. i got in the blind at 6:30 and by 6:45 i started seeing deer two does it looked like all i seen was bodys moving. By about 7:05 i seen another doe come out acting kinda funny the reason is a scrub 4 point that came out at 7:15 im not about to shoot no small buck because i was waiting on the big boy. The action wasnt hot and heavy by any means and few does would come out here and there. At 9:30 a werid looking 3 point came out i thought and was going crazy running does everywhere and i couldnt really get a good look at him. then at 11:30 three does popped out of the brush 120 yards away and on there tail about 40 yards away was the same buck i seen befor i got a good look at him and counted 6 points and he was quartering towards me I pulled the hammer back and let him have it. i seen him jump really high and kick his back legs strait out and i knew he was hit hard. i waited1 hour being that he was quartering towards and went look for blood. i didnt find blood right away so i tryed to seen if i can follow the trail that he went out on and 30 yards i found the smallest blood drop ever and started getting more blood and followed it for 50 more yards not finding that much blood there he lay deader than a door nail. when i looked at the enterence hole and exit hole it was a heart and one lung shot. i thought he ran along ways for being hit like that i guess the old 32 did it again.:lol::lol: the pictures are in the gallery.

deer_season_09_010.jpg

Awesome job Matt! I had a similar experience. I shot at a six point early in morning and like you, he bucked his back legs about 6 feet in the air. I thought for sure he was hit. I gave it about an hour and then went on the trail. No blood anywhere. Searched for about an hour and nothing. Went in for breakfast and then came back out with my dad and another friend. Scoured the entire area for another two hours with no blood or body. He was the only deer I saw all day. That's hunting. I'm glad I missed him clean. Taking the wife with me this Saturday. She likes sitting out and just reading or knitting (her new thing). Again, good job.

Nicely done Matt! Great looking buck my friend. Now that you have your deer down you better get grandpa and the boat back out on the lake after those fish!

Sorry to hear about your miss Peter. Youll get em next time around. Great effort trying to find any signs of a hit. Thats more than allot of folks would have done im sure. Good karma will visit you soon im sure. Good luck!

Sweet! GJ Matt. Sorry to hear about that Peter...this September during the youth hunt I hit a nice buck and knew it was a good hit. He jumped and kicked and then ran off and almost tipped over; his head was barely dragging above ground. We gave it a half hour and got a 6 person search party to go look for him (knowing it was a big deer). We looked for at least an hour without finding any blood at all. I was heartbroken and me and my dad had no idea what happened. I decided to go for a short walk in the swamp while my dad was talking to his friend and ended up stumbling across the buck piled up with a bullet hole through his neck but not a single drop of blood. I couldnt of thanked God enough.