Wow i’m a mess need help

Deuce

Well I got the bug and purchased a Boat. I am trying to get it set up I have 4 down riggers, 2 out riggers, 2 planner boards. All the flashers, spoons, flies, plugs and divers… 4 209 pen reels on Master Graphite 8 ½’ rods, 2 pen #9s reels on Eagle Claw 8 ½’ Trolling Rods

I plan to purchase at least 4 more rod and reels thinking about the Okuma Convector CV45D or CV45L ? anyway I started reading and got completely lost.

The length of rods for downriggers, out riggers, planner boards and Divers WOW than I got into line???? I plan to fish out of Muskegon area can someone give me some advice how to have a dissent selection of Rods, Reels, Line?

Years ago I fished out of South Haven on the Honey Bee we used mono a rubber band a j-plug and that was it, Fish On. I see like everything else that’s HISTORY

Thanks for the help.

Relax and slow down a bit first unless you have a limitless budget. Length of rods is going to be boat and setup dependant if you have the room I prefer longer rods with the shortest rods on the riggers I only run mono on my rigger rods. You will need line counter reels for divers and either wire or braid line on them. However pretty much anything that ever caught a Salmon still will the major difference now is water clarity as such the fish can see better. So a lot of the big gaudy stuff we used to run has less use then it did in the past. Also smaller lures work well now and colors and patterns make a difference. Long lines on planer boards work very well using various lengths of lead core or copper to acheive the desired depth and the planer boards widen your spread. My primary spread is 2 rigger's 2 braid divers and 2 rods on planer boards very seldom do I run all 4 riggers anymore as it is just simpler and cleaner to run the back riggers out wide and use the divers and planer boards to finish the spread. Several of us are in the Muskegon area so perhaps we can get together and help you out.

Welcome aboard Mike.:welcome:

I don't think many people use outriggers any more. Lead core, or copper on inline planers are the way to go. Like Jim said slow down and take a breath. The penn 209 reals are well made, but have a slow retrieve ratio. it would be best to use them for rigger rods. For you a easy 8 rod spread would be; 4 riggers, 2 divers, and 2 core lines on planers. If you want more, than add more core lines. There's lots of guys that live in the Muskegon area. Lots of help is sure to come.

Edited by Nailer

Welcome aboard Mike....Nice to see another has got the bug real bad! Thats awesome, congratulations on your purchase as well. Hope she gives you many years of trouble free service...Pics man, we need pics...lol

Guys have done a good job getting you started. A good thing for you to do would be to meet up with someone in the muskegon area and have them show you their set ups to give you an idea the direction you need to go. Its tough to build a large spread all at once. A basic spread of 7'6"-8'6" rigger rods with mono and your 209's will serve you well on the riggers. A couple 8'6" diver rods with line counters spooled with some 30# Power Pro for dipseys and a couple of 8-8'6" board rods spooled with 1-10 colors of lead core or copper line will have you catching plenty of fish off your new boat. As you know, theres allot to take in, so reread some of the great post on this site and find someone local who can help you build your spread...Good luck to you. Looking forward to your posts with big hauls of feesh!!!

Adam said it all, a pair of rigger rods around 8ft with your 209's, a pair of divers with 30#braid, Diawa Heart Land series are what I use they are reasonably priced with line counter reels and 2 to 4 core rods, I would use 5, 7, 10 and 12 color cores.

Also, if I have a crew of 3 I run a 9 rod spread of 2 riggers, 2 braid divers and 5 cores Like Jim said the size of your boat kinda determines the length of your rods.

If you have a open boat with a lot of room in the back I would use 10' diver rods and 9 footers for your cores.Or if you're limited on space 8 or 9 foot divers and 7 foot core rods.

It looks like you've already gotten some good advice. I will just add a couple of things. I run 15# mono for my spoon rigger rods and 20# mono for the rods I run flashers on the riggers. However, you can just as easily spool all of your rigger rods with 20#. You will still catch fish, just some days when they are spooky a lighter line is more productive. The big thing is to keep it simple when first starting.I started off with 6 rods 6 yrs ago when I first setup my own boat. 2 Penn 209's with 20# mono, 2 Okuma Convectors with 30# braid, and 2 Okuma Convectors with leadcore, one was a half core and the other a full. Had about 25 spoons and 6 flasher/fly combos, along with 6 J-plugs. And I caught enough fish to make me learn to love it. After that I had a better idea about what I wanted and needed and kept adding. That being said, I wouldn't worry about trying to have a run a 20 rod spread like other guys are doing. Setup 6-8 rods in the combinations that the other guys have said, and run them every time out until you are comfortable and confident with your setup. The you can go crazy and add all of the other stuff! The big thing is to build confidence in what you are doing. If every trip is a chore because of tangles, boat issues, or other problems, it is easy to get frustrated. Keep it simple and you will enjoy yourself. Good luck, and if you have any more questions feel free to ask. I like the Okuma Convector reels for leadcore and the Daiwa Sealines for dipsey's. They are good reels at a good price.

Welcome to our hell. Always more equipment on the wish list than in the budget. A lot of great advice here from some darn good fisherman. A lot of them have chimed in already. Myself (not a great fisherman, but ok I guess) I like Okuma and I like my stuff to match (picky). I like 8'6" rods for my lead core (1-10 color). I like 9' Okuma rods for my full core. They give a little more backbone. I like the leadcore/copper series they came out with last year for copper. CV55 series Okuma Convector reels for copper and any core over full (12 color and 15 color if you run it). 45CV or counters (D) if you have the money Okuma Convector Series reels for others. Convector servies 30D for downriggers. Oh, I also run Okuma downrigger rods for the downs. They are grey near the handle, and like Maniac I run mono only on these. A high quality mono is a good idea. You will save some fish that get wrapped in the downs and other close by setups. Not that this happens. hahaha. I also suggest a vertical tree for running planners. I have these and I really like the way they get multiple rods up and out of the way. You have to brace them like crazy because of the pull all in one spot on the boat but they work great. Best advice - Spend some time on others guys boats to see what you like. Everyone runs a little different and you'll get a sense for how you want to set up. Good luck shopping for Christmas and we look foward to seeing you on the water next year.

Some good advice already posted. i am in the jenison area if you want any help. Dont forget the great resource of the pro captains that is going to be available soon at the fishing shows. the first one in the weekend of the 7th through the 10th in january in novi. i am heading there to work the MUCC booth friday night, saturday, and sunday. It is a lot larger than the one they have here in grand rapids. Go a couple days to catch as many seminars as possible. they usually have a seminar saturday mornings on setting up a boat properly, not sure if it is in the agenda this year yet or not. if so it is great info.

Mike here is what my boat looked like a couple years ago when I bought it. Nearly 500 fish later I can't beleive it was ever that white inside LOL.

S1735006.jpg

I am making some more changes this year so who knows what it will look like in the spring when I start fishing. Current configuration was 2 Big Jon Brute down riggers with swivel bases mounted on each corner of the railing plate with a 4ft Burts track down each side railing 2 Fishlander electric down riggers on swivel track mounts in each track and up to 5 adjustable rod holders for each side mounted in the tracks. I also had a set of rod trees that fit in the tracks but sold them this summer as they were too tall and I did not like them very much I am either going to build or buy a differant set this winter. Honestly I want a rocket launcher setup with rod holder on the side instead of a rod tree but will have to see if Santa and my budget can come to terms with all that. I have a Depth Raider speed and temp probe on my Starboard rigger. I can honestly say the Speed and temp probe was the best thing I ever bought for Salmon fishing as it increased my catch rate from day one after 4 years I still feel it was the best money I ever spent even though I don't use it as much now as I used to.

Take your time and listen to the guys on this site, there are some really good fishermen on this site. You can spend a lot or a little depending on your budget. Lead Core rigs are not too expensive to set up and you can fish a lot of different patterns with them. I suggest at least a 1,3, 5, and a full core lets you get a lot of depths. Riggers if you have them are nice I have 4 but only use 2 most of the time. On my litttle boat I had 2 penn long arms and the rest was all Lead core and Copper. If you want to take a boat ride in the spring I will be In So. Haven as soon as the boat is prepped. Contact me @ this site or South Haven link in the links section here.

Good luck and great fishing

Mike(Supertramp) Chamberlin

Boat Name MC Squared

Well I could take no more I know I should be listing to Mainiac and slow down but man I got the bug bad, Like a Kid in the Candy Store went and bought 6 reels Daiwa SG47LCX, 2 Gander Mountain Advantage Diver Rods 10’ Heavy Action, 2 Gander Mountain Advantage Planner Board 7’6†Med Action, 4 each of moss green p-pro and #27 lead, So I need to figure out how I need to wind them. On the divers do you put backing with the power pro or just use power pro with leader? Is a leader needed? I need to look at some rigs and get some ideas for the winter projects.

I would also like to thank everyone for their help this is a great site and everyone seems very willing to help out us less informed.

THANK YOU ALL

Well This is the Boat, I have the rod holders and all teak out going through cleaning and checking everything, Pun in a raymarine full system siris, chart plotter, fish finder... and cannon speed & temp the boat had furuno radar, king radio, king loran I hope this will all the equipment I need for good fishing and safe navigation.

picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=168

picture.php?albumid=88&pictureid=166

Looks like a nice setup to fish from Mike where are you located I live near Fruitport so perhaps we could get together and go over a few things some evening. Really slow down and make a plan or you may own a bunch of stuff you seldom even use beleive me all of us have hundreds of lures we seldom ever get wet. I bet I have well over 200 spoons alone that never got wet once this last season. The simple fact is it is nice to have a good selection but once you start getting fish to hit a setup odds are you won't make many changes to it. Most of us leave the dock with our gear setup and on a good day return with much of the same gear still setup cause it worked. You really only need about 6 or 8 weather and fishing pattern setups and you can make most of them out of a fairly small tackle box with about 20 to 25 spoons 8 to 10 plugs and a dozen flies and flashers. Please don't let our wives hear this or we won't be allowed to play at the bait shop anymore. The major key to success is finding the fish and putting something in front of them the setup they like best will vary during the course of the day and change during the season however the base idea does not change much. You need to work on the light pattern that matchs the weather and find the fish then work on them change speeds and directions till you find what they want. If they will not hit move on and find active fish but don't be afraid to come back later and see if they changed their minds.

Mike the winding thing is very important, I suggest about 15 yards of mono as a backing for p-pro, this will prevent the dreaded braid slip on the arbor, wind on the mono use an albright knot to attach the p-pro then wind on all the p-pro and attacha t 45# swivel to attach to the dipsey diver. Remember anytime u use braided line u need a small amount of mono to prevent arbor slip. That goes for the pre wound Lead core with the braided backer.

Good Luck and great fishing

Supertramp(Mike)d

Boat name MCsquared

On most line counter reels there has to be enough line to fill the spool for the counter to work correctly so I always run mono to fill the spool cheaply then finish it with Power Pro. A simple test is after you fill the reel pull out 100ft and see what the counter reads the same applies to wire line reels unless you are putting enough on to fill the spool the counter will never work right. This might explain why one guy says his divers are working at 120 back and another says he is 150 back for the same results. On my Okuma CV45D at 1/2 spool the counter is off by over 20% as 80 ft of line out reads 98ft out. In one aspect it does not matter as repeatability is the primary reason for line counters but I like to be accurate.