Buzzer Beater Bands!!!

Adam Bomb

Buddy Matt called last night and said he got permission to hunt a disked corn field and invited me to join him this morning. So we went out and set up. As we waited for the first flights we were b.s.ing about the season thus far and one thing lead to another and we got on the subject of bands and how he had never got a banded goose before. So, in the course of the conversation i joked that i was gonna get a double banded reward banded goose today. Well anyhow, we ended up with three birds for the morning and no reward bands, but the first two that we dumped were both banded. They were definitely banded together as the band numbers were consecuative. 1008-61786 and mine was 1008-61787. I reported my band as soon as i got home, so hopefully ill have some info on it soon. I have a feeling its going to be a bit as it wasnt in the data base for the last 20 yrs. So, id say it was banded this year and the banders info is not yet in the data base. Band doesnt look worn enough to be real old either. And being that they were consecuative bands i think its probably unlikely that theyre over 20 years old, despite how large they were...In the end, we didnt tear em up, but had allot of fun and it was a great way to end the first leg of the regular Canada goose season. Now that the corn is coming down, bring on the Nov. 26th opener...Plus thats my birthday!!!

Anyhow, heres the pics form this morning.

Buzzerbeaterbands002.jpg

Buzzerbeaterbands009.jpg

Thats the wad that i pulled outta the wing of my bird. Guess it was close enough.:lol:

Buzzerbeaterbands004.jpg

Buzzerbeaterbands008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I like getting banded birds. Its always cool to see where they come from. All my banded birds are from the state of Michigan. Most are banded the same year i kill em. Just once i would like to get one with some history behind it and like a 5 state gap or banded in another country. My bands have come from Linwood, Pinconning, Bently, Winn, and Lansing. Dad got a duck from Pennsylvania and another from Ontario. Its amazing the distances they travel. Some Snow Geese get banded up by the artic circle and get shot in Mexico...Talk about a migration! The record banded duck was a blue bill that was banded 20 years before it got killed. Just got killed by a Michigander a couple years back...Talk about amazing! Imagine all the spreads that bird has saw and how lucky it had been to survive natural predators, disease and hunters for so long.