Clean Spoons

Just in to Fish On yesterday and bought some new dodgers and Spoons, then they tell me they never run flashers or Dodgers with spoons, Too many variations of techniques out there.... So...

My Question is, How many guys out there run clean spoons, or do you run flashers and or Dodgers with your spoons. I've had great luck with flashers on my spoons, but hey...Let me know what you've had the BEST of Luck with...

Your boltman!!!!!!!!!

im not just a fly, squid guy i have had some good luck with fashers and swim baits. i called it a poor man meat rig. all it was, was a 10 inch blue bubble spin doc and blue white banjo mino. the thing im about is come up with somthing that you think know one has came up with yet and put it in the water. i was sittin there playing one day and one of the best bait we had( took 4 fish) was a storm wild eye in the live perch color. its a bass lure that catches fish people couldnt belive us when we said what the hot bait of the day was this bait had nothing on it no flasher no dodger just 50' off the rigger

Ive never had any luck running a spoon behind a flasher. But, in all honesty, i have never gave it a fair enough chance. Ive heard its really effective down deep. That makes sense to me. So, in saying that, i run mine clean more often than not.

I'm new to this site. Post alot of fishing reports on glangler. Lots of views. Very little response.Spoons were better than flies for me this year. Flies on dipsies not so hot. Last year the opposite. Still killin the Steelhead and Salmon as recently as last tuesday. All on spoons.Still warmer at 90 ft than the surface. Strange year.

Tom

I'm new to this site. Post alot of fishing reports on glangler. Lots of views. Very little response.Spoons were better than flies for me this year. Flies on dipsies not so hot. Last year the opposite. Still killin the Steelhead and Salmon as recently as last tuesday. All on spoons.Still warmer at 90 ft than the surface. Strange year.

Tom

welcome to the site tom

Tom

Welcome aboard Tom! You do not have to be in a cliche to get a reply here. I believe almost every report in the reports section here, has a reply. :thumb:

Tom

Tom a warm welcome to you.:) Holler if you need anything.:)

Welcome aboard Tom:welcome:

I have had pretty good luck running the NBK 8" protrolls with 5' leader to a stinger size NBK. We played with it off the side of the boat with the different leader lengths and 5' seemed to be best with the speeds we run to achieve the natural action of the spoon.

frank,have talked to a few guys running the big wennie flys clean no flasher just what they call a vibrator head.makes it jump around and give the fly action.tryed it a couple time this year but no hits on it.tryed it with a flasher with the same results.then again flys dont take a lot of fish for me.

I just run plain spoons with a leader 12 pound florocarbon and very small swivels and I have had great luck. I am fishing out of St Ignace and the DNR refuses to plant fish up here too. So great luck means 3 or 4 fish per trip unlike SW Michigan where we fill a super sized cooler every time we go out down there.

We used to run a lot of attractors but we only ran a few rods so wanted to maximize the effect. I still will run a small flaser in front of a spoon now and then but with the amount of gear I can now run I pretty much stick to clean spoons as I all ready have a lot of stuff down there making noise and letting the fish know I am here. One thing that works for me is keeping it short and sweet or long and lean so I run black cannon balls as I don't want them as a attractor I would prefer them to go by as unnoticed as possible so the fish can pay attention to the lure. I would hate to guess at how many of my flashers have teeth marks in them and since they have no hooks could not catch a fish this is why I run short leads behind the flasher I also run fairly short leads behind divers so as soon as the fish gets close the bait is coming right up and since I troll fairly fast they don't get a lot of time to think it over unless they want to chase it back down. This works for me I can cover a lot of water and target aggressive fish also I get pretty good hook ups as they tend to hit it hard.

Thanks for the welcome folks.Will be out on the big lake out of Whitehall through December as long as the weather cooperates. A few days of deer hunting and I'll be back out there. I see very few fisheman out there this time of year, but we usually do very well on the Steelhead and younger Salmon. I'll post what is working for us.

79 Tiara 25 "Mystic Won" out of Armstrongs. Tom

Has anyone ever run a clean fly?? I never have because of the no action factor of the fly. I have heard of a few boats running clean flies at times, and taking some fish.:)

Frank quite a few years back, up at Detour, I was running a clean fly (it could have been a squid) behind my diver and getting quite a few fish on it.

Flies and squid where new to us back then, and I forgot to put the flasher on ( we set up in the dark after a long night of cards). I have not tried it since.