Clean Spoons

Thanks for the welcome folks.Will be out on the big lake out of Whitehall through December as long as the weather cooperates. A few days of deer hunting and I'll be back out there. I see very few fisheman out there this time of year, but we usually do very well on the Steelhead and younger Salmon. I'll post what is working for us.

79 Tiara 25 "Mystic Won" out of Armstrongs. Tom

Welcome Tom.

I was at Armstrongs earlier this week. I love that place.

Good luck with the Steel.

• 2 weeks later...

I like to run a dodger/squid tight to the ball, and then put a spoon on 6' long leader, and run it as a cheater about 5-6' above the ball. That cheater spoon should be the hot color of the day..........thats the one that gets 70 per cent of the hits for me. Like that rig a lot.

I like to run a dodger/squid tight to the ball, and then put a spoon on 6' long leader, and run it as a cheater about 5-6' above the ball. That cheater spoon should be the hot color of the day..........thats the one that gets 70 per cent of the hits for me. Like that rig a lot.

Jerry, sounds like a great idea.

Welcome to the site.

Have you got any photos of those giant Lake O's Salmon

Welcome Tom.

I was at Armstrongs earlier this week. I love that place.

Good luck with the Steel.

The last time I was in Armstrongs I asked for a set of Big Jon swivel bases was told they had not stocked them in a while and did not have any. While rummaging thru the junk pile of a store I found a set marked at 55.00 ea. Since he said they did not have any I went and asked if he would make me a deal on the pair he did not know he had. He quickly looked them up and told me 65.00 was the best he could do on them. I put them back somewhere in the store though I doubt they will be seen again for years to come. I agree he has nearly everything but it is a bad Easter egg hunt to find it. I have not been back in a couple of years and have no plans on returning any time soon.

Jerry, A warm welcome to you. You will like it here. Let us know if you need any help.:)

Is a "cheater" the same as a fixed slider? How tight of a lead do you use?

Thanks Mike, i figured that would be the case. I guess as long as the tangle isnt significant the positives can outweigh the negatives. Have always run my flashers alone and never put any sort of slider on them for that very reason. Looks like i may have to experiment a bit more.

Now, as with CoachJer, do you find this to be a pretty hot set up?

So Mike... you run Flashers with your spoons on your riggers and then run a fixed slider above the Flasher?? how far above the Flasher do are you running, I ask because I want to try this set up this coming year.

Boltman I've been running Apex behind a dodger/flasher for over 25 years long before I became prostaff for Hot Spot. Before getting any flashers my favourite combination was a Luhr Jensen 00 dodger & a #3 green/pearl Apex & that was a killer. I haven't bothered running dodgers for years but run the Apex behind an 8" Hot Spot flasher either off the rigger or a dipsy set up. One way to prevent a tangle if your running cheaters or stackers on the same line as a flasher is to tie on a swivel on your main line & then run a leader of something between 4 & 6' to your flasher. I do the same thing for my slide divers so when I get a fish on it doesn't get a chance of knocking the fish off.

So Mike... you run Flashers with your spoons on your riggers and then run a fixed slider above the Flasher?? how far above the Flasher do are you running, I ask because I want to try this set up this coming year.

I run 6' leaders for my sliders and put it 10' above the ball.

I want to take some time right now to THANK YOU GUYS. this has been an informative thread for me...I'm going to try this this summer/Spring and see how we do, it's going to be so much fun in Ludington this spring/Summer,at least we'll get some good fish early instead of Elk Rapids.... getting nothing all summer. I cannot tell you how Throttled I am for his coming season......................Ho Ho Ho Ho Ho

I like to run a 8 inch becholds flasher with about a 4-5 foot lead to a clean spoon deep? favorite color is blue spinny, and blue ice glow Nort Port Nailer spoon #44.

I believe that what is referred to as a clean spoon, is one run without any hardware ahead of it. No offense because terms sometimes change from location to location. Thanks for your reply.:)