First deer with a bow...

Fishwhisperer

Got out to the stand, Sunday evening, around 4:30. I hadn't hunted it in over three weeks now. I could hear the shoots of a 22 cal. off in the distance. Then some more target practicing less than a 1/4 mile away. Not another noisy night in the stand, is all I can think to myself. Around 5:15 I could hear the rustling the leaves off in the distance. I gave a couple of blows on the grunt call. The sound of limbs cracking got louder as it was coming towards me. I could now make out a body. With it being so thick, I could not tell what it was yet. I stood up in my stand to get a better look. Sure enough it is a deer. The body size is decent, but I don't see a rack. Oh well...I think to myself. At least I get to see a deer this trip out. Then I notice some thing sticking out from behind it's ears. Well this is not the size of buck as was looking for. I contemplated for a few seconds. I decided that if he gives me a good clean shot, I will take it. As he is walking by to my right, I get squared up. As he comes up to an opening (what first appeared to be a good place to let one fly), I draw my arrow back. I get the pin lined up and he is still on a steady walk. All that I continue to see is a limb here, a limb there and limbs everywhere. Then I focused in on my shooting lane and ready myself. Just as soon as he comes out from a tree, he will be in my sights. Well, then he comes to a dead stop. He still isn't on alert. He is behind a large tree with no vitals exposed. This turn out to be a good thing for me. It allowed me to regroup and to think about everything that I need to do right. I went through my mental checklist and I was ready. After close to a minute (seemed longer) he starts forward. I focus in and take my shot. I watched it all the way and could see that it was a perfect shot. The deer immediately bolted and ran maybe 70 yards. It made a run that looped around half way and I watched him crash. After a half an hour, I couldn't stand it anymore. I got down and looked for the arrow. Found it right away covered in blood and intact. I then walked around to the other side and in. Walked right up to it and recovered my first deer taken with a bow. The shot was a clean double lunger, just missing the heart. I have to take a measurement of one of the tines yet. It is a 4 point or possibly a five.

<a  href=%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.greatlakesfisherman.com/gallery/files/1/3/8/3/buck.jpg' alt='buck.jpg'>