Day of calamity.

Just got in the house from todays trip. Jigged fished at the mouth of the Saginaw until 11:30am with not luck, waiting for the thickest fog I've ever seen to finally lift. I was with clients and will not risk their safety. We went 6 for 9 on walleyes. 2 huge white bass and a 15 pound carp hooked in the dorsal. And I have my own Gar Pike story, because the S.O.B. cut my Power Pro right at the Norman Speed Clip tie in, and took my favorite Yo-zuri. Then my camera falls on the floor and suddenly would not function. Then one of the white bass we caught comes off the hook, falls in my gunnel under the floor board and flops his way out of my reach up towards the center of the boat. I just spent 1 hour trying to flush him down so I could reach and remove him. Couldn't do it. Wonder what Lindys charges to remove a dead white bass before it starts to rot? :angry2:

Here's the picture of our first fish this morning just west of the island. Oh, and the camera is fine. The battery was dislodged.

IMG_0326.sized.jpg

Nice work, brother in law and I managed to jig up 8 on Saturday and 4 Sunday morning in the same general area. Thumbs up to my bro in law for dealing with gale winds Saturday and the pea soup on Sunday. I will try to post pics. Stay tuned...

walleye 11-7-09

Nice work, brother in law and I managed to jig up 8 on Saturday and 4 Sunday morning in the same general area. Thumbs up to my bro in law for dealing with gale winds Saturday and the pea soup on Sunday. I will try to post pics. Stay tuned...

walleye 11-7-09

John,

You need to upload the picture to the gallery first.

Dan, We have all had better and worse days than that.

Worse then this. I took my boat to Lindys today to see if they could recover the White Bass under my floorboards. We filled the whole gunnel up with water and used their fork truck to both tip and slosh the water back and forth to dislodge the fish. We did this twice, no luck. Bill (mechanic) then suggested I dump bleach in the gunnel to keep the stench down when the things starts to rot. It will eventually get to the stage after a while decaying, that it will float and then might be easier to flush out. Maybe not.:mad:

I'm not going to smell up my boat and garage with the smell of rotting fish. Got out the jig saw and started cutting 12 inches wide and up the walled center gunnel area where all the hoses and wires run between the struts, braces and aluminum stringer of my boat. Cut 2 feet out, reached as far as I could, nothing. Two more feet, reached, nothing. Got to my bench seat, skiped too the other side and cut 2 more feet between the seat and the center counsol, and there he was. Went to Best buy for a 4 X 8, 1/2 inch sheet of treated plywood, carpeting, carpeting glue, trawl to apply glue, stainless screws and washers, 2 new jig saw blades to replace trashed ones, and two 6 foot long, 2 inch wide pieces of (real nice) gold carpet edging to run up each side of the patch, so nobody stubs their toes on the new 1/2 inch riser patch running down the middle of my boat. Only cost me my entire day working on this project and a little over $100.00. Yep, we've all had these kind of days because of a freaking white bass, NOT.:no:

Dan, You're alive.:)

My post was also made before I knew you tore the p#$$ out of your boat. Literally: All that for a stinking white bass??

I didn't realize that Best Buy sold plywood.

You could have sold film rights for another "Grumpy Old Men" movie.

I hope this is the worst thing that ever happens to you.

I sure WASN'T kicking you when you were down. And yes, I have had worse days than that.

Thats a great point Frank. I used to deal with allot of almuminum coil stock for trim and wrapping treated lumber is a no no. It will definitely eat away the aluminum over time...Hope a bad day didnt get worse for ya now. Probably the very reason they make marine grade plywood.

Frank.

I didn't take your post as anything but understanding. I was just in a foul mood from the time and money spent, and body soar after all that work for one slipery white bass. And this will be a wood on wood patch job. I thought about simply replacing the cut out section flush with the floor, but that would involve cutting and fitting struts of sorts to brace this new center section. This half inch on top of the exsiting floor won't be to dramatic. Plus, I've become very handy over the years at making a sows ear look like a silk purse. Maybe I'll post a picture when I'm done. At least this way if any other fish decides to take up residency in the gunnel, I'll simply have to remove a few screws and evict his azz. :o

Yuppers. He dropped it off the next day. Gave him a jar of canned walleye for the trouble. Got to go get all the ingredients and a couple of gallon jars at Grains and Greens store on Euclid Ave in Bay City. Going to try white fish first, then do some suckers this coming spring. I like salmon to much canned or grilled to pickle it, but hoping the recipe covers all fish species. ;)