Night Fishing Walleye

Hello All,

I plan on doing some night fishing this weekend. I have never done it before and would like to hear what others do.

This is my plan. Let me know if you think it would be successful, and if you do things different or not.

I will be fishing with 15lb power pro on 7ft spinning rod. Lures will be original floating rapalas jointed and not, Husky Jerks, and X-raps. I will be using the electric bow mount, and attempt to follow steep break lines that extend off large flats into deep water. Target depth will be 8 ft to 12 ft. Trolling speed will be just fast enough to get the lure wobbling. I will only be using one rod, and it will be in my hand.

I plan to arrive at the boat launch around 4pm to go out and scout a few spots and get some waypoints on my gps before dark.

So, let's hear it. Whats your most effective approach to the elusive trophy walleye at night?

Still a little early for that trophy. 40 degrees and below is your best shot at a big girl and temps right now are hovering around 50 degrees. You will still catch fish and possibly a big one any time though.;)

All I would add to your program is a pump / pause into your action to the bait. You can sweep your rod forward 8-18" and then let your rod slowly fall back allowing your lure to stop for a few seconds. That magic pause is when most fish hit! Vary up your action until you find what they want. Usually gently sweep the rod forward every 5 seconds, pause and repeat. Don't pull too fast as you may pull it away from a chomping fish. speeds of 1.2-1.3 mph on the GPS have been working lately. Keep your drag tight and be ready to set the hook when you feel the slightest tick.

Thanks for the reply. It might not be the best time for a trophy, but the best time i have to fish for one. I haven't been out lately and won't have much opportunity in the future, so any time i can get out is great, whether fishing is great or not.

I'm surprised that you say inland lakes are around 50degrees. I figured they would be much cooler than that.

I'll definately have to mix the usual pause into the troll, see if it can't trigger any fish.

Have you ever fished Muskegon lk. at night?

Sure have, Muskegon, White, Macatawa, Pentwater, and Ludington all get pretty good shots of fish. Once the Lake MI walleyes invade the drowned river mouths around 40 degrees it is game on! Let me know if you ever need a rider as I don't currently have a boat. I'd be happy to show you what I know.

Treblemaker,

I'll keep that offer in mind, I've already got a full boat for friday night though. Which isn't much in my 16' smokercraft. I'll report afterwards and let ya know how my first trip was.

Do you know if there is a good perch bite going on anywhere near there?

I was debating of going back out on muskegon sat. morning for perch.

thanks..

Yah, I noticed those wind forecasts. Far from ideal conditions. If this wasn't one of my only opportunities to go I'd probably just reschedule.

What type of waves do you think that will kick up?

Might end up just being a casting for walleye rather than trolling. I can only imagine how big of a pain it's going to be for boat control.