Even a blind squirrell finds a nut now and then.

phishtix

Got me a pretty nice buck this morning. Worked really hard for this one. I mean really really hard. Nothing like the hunts you see on the outdoors channel. In my world bucks like this don't come easy.

All I can say is thanks be to God. I couldn't have done it without him :)

4070012973_b06b46ffa5_o.jpg

Thanks again! Yes I'm pretty happy.

I went over my records this afternoon and so far this season I have put in 90.5 hours hunting. 4 times I put in 11+ hours on stand. The day I shot this guy I had already put in 9 hours when he showed up at 2:30 PM.

I was eating chocolate chip cookies and watching the squirrels. In the background I kept hearing what I thought were squirrels making a ton of noise. They were being so loud I thought to myself "man those squirrels are being noisy". I turned my head to see them and noticed the whole tree they were in was shaking back and forth. I was like "wow them are some big squirrels" :grin: Realizing it wasn't squirrels at that point I took a better look and saw that it was actually a big buck rubbing on the tree. My heart about exploded but I managed to get my bow ready. He walked right into my shooting lane and I drew my bow. He must have caught my movement cause he stopped. Unfortunately a tree was in the way of his vitals so I couldn't shoot. I held my bow back and kept my aim right in his shoulder waiting for him to step forward. Seemed like an eternity, I know every bow hunter out there knows how it feels, but finally he stepped forward and I let the arrow fly. He ran a short ways then slowed down to a walk with his head low. Watched him till he was out of sight but never saw him drop so I waited about two hours to start tracking him. Long story short I ended up jumping him and he ran off. My heart sunk! By this time it was around 6:00pm. I had to work the next day but I knew in my heart the only chance I had at finding this buck was if I backed out and left him till morning. Tossed and turned all night long. 4:30am I'm wide awake so I figure what the heck I may as well give it a try. After a whole lot of praying and tracking I finally found him at 7:30am. I had shot him through the liver and spleen. Not quite the shot I was trying to make. I think when he stepped forward from the tree he was a little quicker than my arrow. In any case I got down on my knees right there and said probably the most sincere prayer of thanksgiving a human has ever spoken. Dressed him, took some pics, and drug him out. My son was at school and everyone else was at work so I had to do it all alone. Made it to work by 11:30am. Boss was a little miffed, but he was happy for me after he saw the buck.

I'm very happy right now. Haven't taken a buck in several years. I've been holding out for one like this. And I'm sure many of you know what it feels like but I've had several disappointments over the years. This time everything finally came together for me. YES!!!!

• 2 weeks later...