Auto Pilot

OK after much discussion and thought Rick and I have decided that we would like to try to get a auto pilot for the boat,we have a 23 ft glass boat with a cobra i/o with power steering,what unit would work for this?and how much might one expect to pay for such a unit(new or used)?

any thoughts or opinions are welcome,

thanks in advance.

Randy

You really only have 2 choices I have a similar setup in my boat and am stuck with one choice. The Simrad AP 12 or 14 R units are a pretty good unit however require nearly 11 in of space behind the helm for the unit I know it is less than 11 in but not much and I don't have the room on my boat without cutting a hole into the head. Then I would have my steering box sticking out above the toilet not a option as far as my wife is concerned. This leaves me with one option ( inexpensive that is) and that is the Raymarine X5 Sport Pilot. This mounts under the wheel to the dash so other than raising the height of the wheel about 3in poses no clearance problems. Both setups run about the same price depending on any options you choose and start around 1300 bucks plus install. If you are handy with tools you can install either one yourself.

Andy Garmin is selling the TR-1 Galdiator system they bought the company. At present they have no upcoming plans to offer it in anything but HYD steering I would love to convert my boat to HYD steering but it is not cheap was quoted 5800 to convert the boat and install the new Garmin system. I can save about a grand if I do it myself. May be a differant story next spring if the buy Raymarine as they would then own the Sport Pilot system as well.

I have been informed Simrad no longer make s the AP12R or the AP14R so if you want one get em soon as the are no longer in production. The suggested setup now is the AP24 with a MSD50 drive unit. One of the packaes I looked at came in at just under 4 grand plus tax and shipping. It is a very cool system but not cheap and works the power steering servo so if you have 2 engines you have to run the one with the power steering pump for the AP to work.

As far as I know Simrad is making the AP 12 and 14 again. They discontinued production for a short period of time last year or 2 years ago. But when Raymarine came out with the new Sportpilot (or announced it) they put them back in production. This was the last I heard this summer so I might be wrong. Either way, there are still plenty of them available brand new. If you purchase them off ebay I believe the warranty is void. I will be installing an AP 14R in the spring.

Now Frank ya know we can't afford to hire no drivers,but ya sure is welcome to come drive the tad pole for fun anytime ya want to.besides with the workman comp claims,insurance and vacation and sick days we sure can't afford no driver of your caliber the auto pilot would be way cheaper!!:no:

The word I received is from Calumet Marine they can't get the AP12R or the AP14R anymore. They said there are a lot of them still avail but they can't buy any thru the distibuter as they are again discontinued. The current suggest is a AP24 with a MSD 50 drive unit this is close to 4 grand depending on where you shop. Was at Mariners Center yesterday and was told Raymarine is dropping the price on the ST 70 head which would get you into a X5 Sport Pilot with trolling patterns for under 1600 bucks.

This is where I got our AP.

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/SIMRAD+AP14R+Rotary+Drive.html

The price is pretty much $1500 whoever you check. This past spring when I wanted to purchase,no one but this place even had it. (It was back-orderd everywhere for 2 to infinity weeks at the local shops)

Service,shipping,price was all great,well maybe not the price:).

Install was fairly easy. It does require 11+in behind dash to replace the rotary with new roatary and motor. The directions are a bit vauge as it requires a 7.5A or so fuse and needs to be on a switch. The unit will frittz out if its hot and you just plug it in.

The Raymarine sport one would be your next option, this one would not work on our boat since the cuddy door slides below the wheel and prevented the mounting between the wheel and dash/bulkhead.(the sport is an top side of the dash unit that mounts on wheel.It uses a torque bracket that mounts to bulkhead)

Both these units will work , we have a 23.5 pursuit and its awsome to have the wheel manned even when the seat is empty:D Save up your money its worth it!

Theres trolling paterns on the AP14? I guess I should dig out the directions if there are.

GTR

There no trolling patterns on that unit I have had one for 3 years great unit though I have had one burn up and the one know did work real greatall summer was going to send it back but they said it was out of warentt So I took the ba k off of it and found a diode next to the gyro and that fixed it 10 trips at the end with out a problem

Opps I was wrong about the trolling patterns I could have sworn I read that it had patterns available. I know I am planning on going to Hyd Steering when I find the money and get the Garmin unit which has programable trolling patterns also the ST70 head on the X5 Sport pilot offers trolling patterns which is my back up plan for next season if I can't afford the Hyd steering and Garmin unit. The X5 with a ST70 head is currently about 1700 bucks so still not cheap. The Garmin is one of the best systems for what we do as I really want the shadow drive as it allows you to just grab the wheel and steer without shutting the unit down. Very important to me as the last thing I want is my wife fighting with the autopilot in a emergency because she forgot to hit the right button.