plug storage

Plano boxes. I cram as many plugs in as I can and spread the hooks around so they aren't all in the same compartment (2 or 3 in the same compartment). They tangle a little but it's not hard to get 2 or 3 untangled.

Better yet, I mainly use Lyman or Silver Horde plugs without the bead chain harnesses.

I use a couple of crankbait boxes. They look like this:

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0030980120897a.shtml

I only keep the plugs in these. As far as harnesses I started tying my own last year. I use 80# braid and a single treble hook tied to end up just behind the rear of the plug. I keep 5 or so of each size in my "Terminal" box down below.

i have 2 bass pro shops xps series boxes that are two sided and about the same size as the standard plano boxes that holds 30 of the 4 1/2 inch aces high plugs a piece.i think they are for crank baits.they have 5 v shaped rows on each side.all my plugs have 4 ft leaders on them all rigged and ready to go.

I found a special box just for plugs about 2-3 years ago at the Outdoorsman in Jenison. I havent seen them anywhere else online or otherwise since.

Forget the name of it and what it says on the side of the box, its in my boat and I wont be over that way till tomorrow but I will grab it an find out the name and take a pic of what it looks like for yah. Its really a neat lil set-up.

i have 2 bass pro shops xps series boxes that are two sided and about the same size as the standard plano boxes that holds 30 of the 4 1/2 inch aces high plugs a piece.i think they are for crank baits.they have 5 v shaped rows on each side.all my plugs have 4 ft leaders on them all rigged and ready to go.

this is the same boxe i use , i will try and get a pic. of it later.

It's Called a Plug-Mate 44... I can get "36" size 5 jplugs in this hawk... and 8 more of the smaller ones. For the hooks issue I just hang em on the edges. Got it for $25-30 at Da Outdoorsman.

Picture245.jpg

Picture243.jpg

Jim,

All you would need to do to get rid of that bag a mess is drape a set of hooks into that slot on each one. Then you have a hook set up and a jplug ready to go in a snap. Martha Stewart style.

Mike I did that on one of the boxes I use this is one of the spares. I also keep 3 or harnesses out and ready on the boat so I have found that if I have a harness problem I get a new one that bag is full of new unused harnesses. I was putting all the harnesses on the plugs and hooking them with a paper clip last year which made it easy to get them out just grab the paper clip and pull out the plug and harness ready to go. I may go back to that this winter as it worked pretty good. This year I just reused the same harnesses all summer as long as they were sharp and undamaged. The paper clip idea was my wifes and worked real good.

It's Called a Plug-Mate 44... I can get "36" size 5 jplugs in this hawk... and 8 more of the smaller ones. For the hooks issue I just hang em on the edges. Got it for $25-30 at Da Outdoorsman.

Picture245.jpg

Picture243.jpg

Jim,

All you would need to do to get rid of that bag a mess is drape a set of hooks into that slot on each one. Then you have a hook set up and a jplug ready to go in a snap. Martha Stewart style.

that,my friend is what im talking about...i like it becouse it blocks u.v...they say overexposure breaks down the glow on them...thanks mike

Since all my boxes are stored in compartments I don't worry as much about UV as I do finding stuff that will fit in the space allowed which is why I am getting rid of my Special Mate spoon box it just don't fit anywhere right in the boat. It is a great box and I wanted it bad on the old boat but it just don't fit the new boat.

Mike here is a couple of pics of what mine looks like with the paper clips would work on yours as well.

picture_357.jpg

picture_358.jpg

Jim, Tell your squeeze that is cool. Just hook your line snap and remove the paper clip. No mo fumbling around, trying to thread the bead chain, in rocky seas.:)

I use the same box as Jim. Except with my custom harnesses. I store mine down below under the floor, next to the wife's porta-potty. I do like the paper clip idea but don't feel like tying that many harnesses. I have a lot of plugs.

Nick that is part of the reason for only running a few harnesses and just swapping out the plugs on them. I don't even know how many plugs I have total right now as I have not counted them yet but my guess is well over a hundred I have 3 boxes of 20 big plugs and need a 4th and have a couple of small boxes of smaller plugs.

I use the same box as Jim. Except with my custom harnesses. I store mine down below under the floor, next to the wife's porta-potty. I do like the paper clip idea but don't feel like tying that many harnesses. I have a lot of plugs.

Nick,

A lot of any gear is very good.:D You are a brave man storing all those goodies close to the porta potty, where the Sugar Mama can get an idea just how much gear you have.:lol: Best to keep that stuff hid.:D

Most of the time we know in advance what will go in the water first. From past experience, under similar conditions, we all have our favorites. Even using the threaded plugs for your favorite, first to hit the water, and your second choice back ups, would be a plus. Maybe it's just me, but I find it a hassle to thread the chain and keep it in place while I hook the line swivel snap to it, or as some prefer to tie these on to the line. Tying to the line has the advantage of the lure floating to the surface should a fish break you off. Anything done on shore makes for an easier day on the water. A lot of good ideas are coming out of this thread.

The only bad thing that I have heard about the Special Mate boxes is that the type of plastic being used in their manufacture is very brittle during late and early season cold weather.

I prefer to use clear Plano boxes that I store in small duffel bags according to type of baits. Each duffel bag holds four of the Plano boxes. I buy one model of box and modify compartment sizes to fit particular baits. I cut out dividers with a dremel tool and cutting disc.

throw everything into a bucket, my plugs don't seem to get all jumbled up, but man the hooks are a nightmare..

(couldn't help myself)

actually pipe insualtion work wonders for keeping hooks tangle free, i use this for spinner rigs and flys as well.