In-Line Board and Mods

Off Shore OR 12 I have made several changes I relocated the rear snap and changed it to a snap weight clip with the pin in it so it won't slide or come off. I changed the front clip as well but am going to change some of them back I also covered most of them in Glow tape making them easier to find in the dark as if you hit them with a light they glow brightly for a while.

Andy, I use the Walleye Boards 3 per side. I changed the clips on my two outside boards to a clip with a pin in the center of it. It holds the braid line better. I am not sure of the name of the clip but they are red. I also adjusted the weights on the boards 0 on the outside, 1 in the middle, 2 on the inside. I numbered each board so I could just look at the board to know where it is used. So the board that is pulling the shortest line has the weight in the center. The board that is pulling the longest line has the weight all of the way in the front. This system works very well for me however I cannot take credit for thinking of this. I learned it from Mike GLF. Thanks Mike!

I have both Church tackle Mr. Walleye boards as well as the Offshore boards. I run the church for my lead core for salmon and the offshores with tattle tale system for walleye. On both boards i have put the white reflector tape on the boat side of the board along the top edge. A strip about an inch wide or so. And on the offshore boards i put some on the flag itself. A simple L.E.D. headlamp is suffiscient enough to illuminate the reflective tape and allows you to keep track of them in the darkness.

A great mod for the offshores that i use for the smaller walleye in our Saginaw Bay system that dont pull the board back is to put the black(medium) offshore release on the front and the red(heavy) offshore release with center pin on the rear. When you get a fish the line can easily be released from the front release, then the board swings around while held in place on your line by the red release and it will clear to the stern very nicely and theres not all the drag from the board to fight along with the fish.

I run 10 Offshore boards, with the tattle flags, for Walleye. I have 8 OR12s and 2 OR31s. I use the orange Offshore Releases on the front, and the reds with the pins on the rear. I also use these boards for Salmon a few times a year. I don't need or use the Tattle Flags while trolling for Salmon. We give free demonstrations Mon-Fri from ice out until Aug.:D Of course a gas donation is always welcome.

Oh!! I'll probably get 2 more OR12s this Winter, and just keep the OR31s for Salmon, and spares while walleye fishing. I switched from the BIG Boards a few years ago, after fishing with the Kuz. The Offshore OR12s with the Tattle Flags are the cats meow for walleye. Our percentages Skyrocketed after switching.

I run the Offshore OR12s and have changed out stock rear clips for the red pinned ones.

Off Shore OR 12 I have made several changes I relocated the rear snap and changed it to a snap weight clip with the pin in it so it won't slide or come off. I changed the front clip as well but am going to change some of them back I also covered most of them in Glow tape making them easier to find in the dark as if you hit them with a light they glow brightly for a while.

Jim - Did you move your rear snap to the same location that the OR31 have it? I was thinking about giving that a try next season to see if they run any better that way.

Kyle I have not looked at the OR 31 so not sure mine is centered about 1 in up from the bottom at the rear of the board. This increases the length by about 1.5in which gives the board a little more weight forward and keeps the front down and digging out better. The only issue I had with this was on my 2 color with the orange releases it would not release at the front with the mono stretch so I am going back to the black releases or considering braid for my 2 color as I run them a long ways out when pulling 4 boards per side so catching fish was a adventure as you had to drag the fish and board across the entire spread until you could get it to release and drop back. The last trip out we lost 4 Steelhead that way as they would not trip and the fish were happy to get off as we tried to work them over the rest of the spread. They were not big fish but it still sucked to lose them as they would have left me 1 short of 300 for the year. Overall I am pretty happy with my board setups this year we got a lot of fish on them and my 300 coppers were very productive as compared to years past when I had such a time getting them to run that they seldom got fished. Probably the only setup I did not do well on this year was my wire divers and that is mostly beacuse I hardly used them I am kinda old school and go to the wire setups for mid day fishing but we did so well this year I hardly ever ran them. Mostly because I was rod limited much of the year by the number of people on board and often fish with friends and family who don't know what they are doing so handing them a wireline rod is asking for trouble. Lots of people suggest I run more braid but I only fish with a few guys that are good Jay and Steve and a couple others are great but most of my family is not so the mono is more forgiving of mistakes than wire or braid.

all yellow bird boards. regular on standard boards, the big bird boards with offshore snapper releases (or-18) for leadcore and copper. yellow birds, both big and small, can be adjusted as to how far outside they will run and the snapper releases have never given me trouble. other guys around me have switched to the snapper releases on their church walleye boards.

• 4 months later...

I use the Walleye boards with the stainless pin. Aaron sells them at Lakeshore Outfitters in Saugatuk and I think I may have witnessed them at D&R as well, but I am not sure. I have yet to change out the clips, but I think I am going to go with the clips with the pin in the middle. The way we use our boards, we never want them to release. Also, I'm modified my lines when using boards. I tie an extra swivel and a glass bead about 3-4' in front of my lure so that if a board does slide down, it does not knock the fish off.

I have all three. Yellow birds, church walley boards and off shore. I use each in specific set ups. Yellow birds I consider my early spring boards with lighter tackle, I run anything with any kind of lead on the walley boards. and I have my offshores set up with a little beefier clips for copper. If I had to pic a favorite I prefer the walley boards but its nice having specific setups so I dont have to use any extra time when setting lines. plus being different colors I dont have to look them over to see which goes were. just left and right.

Funny how things end up how they once began. The original Church boards i have have brass pins with knurled heads on them. They work great, i cant believ they wento that plastic pin...but, for the guy that doesnt fish much they probably work well for awhile.

I use the Walleye boards with the stainless pin. Aaron sells them at Lakeshore Outfitters in Saugatuk and I think I may have witnessed them at D&R as well' date=' but I am not sure.[/quote']

Guess I should have marketed my idea instead of sharing it on the net. :(