Website Suggestions

How about a Boating Safety Forum?

Things you should know and do in case of any on water emergencies.

How about a "Fishing Tips,Tricks,Tactics" forum?

Making/Modifying Lures, Tackle Tips, Equiptment Tips, How to, Helpfull Inventions,.. etc.

A open classifieds section that you don't need to be a supporting member would be nice. I realize its not free to put on this website but I would think you should be able to support it with more ads. IMO

You are not the only one who feels this way.

At one time the classifieds were free. If you sold something you were suppose to make a donation to the website. After over 1.5 years and numerous items beings sold on the website, there was zero donations.

I do not want a website clustered with advertising, so I am not planning on adding any other advertising besides what is at the top.

I use to visit another website. It became so commercialized, I stopped going to it. Their perk for supporting members is that you do not have to view all the ads.

I checked other websites to see what they charge to place an ad. I also know what it costs to place an ad in the boat trader or the newspaper.

I considered making the classifieds a pay per ad. Members would have to pay a small fee each time they wanted to place an ad. I thought everyone would get a bigger bang for their buck by being able to post unlimited amounts of ads in a year, double the gallery size, a larger private message limit, and access to a private area of the website.

vBulletin is coming out with a new version for their software. They will no longer let people pay the $60 annual fee for upgrade support. This means I have to purchase a new license to keep the site up to date and secure.

I am open for ideas and will listen to what others have to say about this.

Mike this is a great site the way it is a few more forum sections as mentioned above would be cool. For the small fee of becoming a supporting member it is a great deal. Perhaps you could try and put together some more field tests and things like that for supporting member as perks and get a few more guys to donate to help you with the cost. I prefer the minimal advertising here but realize you have to pay for it somehow. Next year I think I will try and get a couple of swimsuit models and a good photographer so I can win one of the Siggs Rig contest LOL .

Mike this is a great site the way it is a few more forum sections as mentioned above would be cool. For the small fee of becoming a supporting member it is a great deal. Perhaps you could try and put together some more field tests and things like that for supporting member as perks and get a few more guys to donate to help you with the cost. I prefer the minimal advertising here but realize you have to pay for it somehow. Next year I think I will try and get a couple of swimsuit models and a good photographer so I can win one of the Siggs Rig contest LOL .

Can i go that day Jim?!!!:D

Next year I think I will try and get a couple of swimsuit models and a good photographer so I can win one of the Siggs Rig contest LOL .

The key to a good photo, is taking it on the boat when the fish is fresh. That way it doesn't look staged.

You are not the only one who feels this way.

At one time the classifieds were free. If you sold something you were suppose to make a donation to the website. After over 1.5 years and numerous items beings sold on the website, there was zero donations.

I do not want a website clustered with advertising, so I am not planning on adding any other advertising besides what is at the top.

I use to visit another website. It became so commercialized, I stopped going to it. Their perk for supporting members is that you do not have to view all the ads.

I checked other websites to see what they charge to place an ad. I also know what it costs to place an ad in the boat trader or the newspaper.

I considered making the classifieds a pay per ad. Members would have to pay a small fee each time they wanted to place an ad. I thought everyone would get a bigger bang for their buck by being able to post unlimited amounts of ads in a year, double the gallery size, a larger private message limit, and access to a private area of the website.

vBulletin is coming out with a new version for their software. They will no longer let people pay the $60 annual fee for upgrade support. This means I have to purchase a new license to keep the site up to date and secure.

I am open for ideas and will listen to what others have to say about this.

Here is an idea to suppliment the website..... Get an item like a lure package or down rigger once a month or year whatever. Your sponsors should be able to help with the cost of that. Determine the cost required to run the site. Sell X amount of raffle tickets to make up for that cost and when the quota is met someone gets something nice and the site stays in business. Just an idea.

Well Adam I thought it over and probably not as the 2 I have in mind are my step daughter and a friend of mines daughter who both model. And Ken if the photos were ever more than a after thought it might help but when fishing I am not stopping to take pics. Esp since I nearly always forget the camera. But on the subject of the site Mike you have built a very nice site it is pretty much all geared towards fishing on the Great lakes and runs pretty smoothly with lots of good reports and pretty good topics. We have a lot of good fishermen with great ideas and not a lot of know it alls. So the site mix is pretty good and I think everyone will agree that most who show up here are impressed and tend to keep chking back. That is a good thing.

• 4 weeks later...

Mike - Have you ever thought of adding the moon phases and rise and set times to the calendar on the home page? Maybe something like this.

pic was taken off of this site.

v3_calendar1.gif

I started to watch the moon phases a little more this year and I think this could be a helpful addition to the site.

Mike - Have you ever thought of adding the moon phases and rise and set times to the calendar on the home page? Maybe something like this.

pic was taken off of this site.

v3_calendar1.gif

I started to watch the moon phases a little more this year and I think this could be a helpful addition to the site.

I use to have a moon phase module on the front page. This was linked another website. Unfortunately, every time the host of the moon phase went down, it locked up the home page here because it would not load the module. This prevent the home page here from loading. :mad:

I thought about adding googles moon phase because I think it would be more reliable. Unfortunately, I am tied up with another project, and any modifications for here are on hold.

how about a snowmobiling section, seems like the chatter dies down alot in the winter, might be a nice way to keep things going

I would prefer to keep this a fishing website. All of our boats are put up, so most people are not thinking about fishing during the winter.

Maybe we will have to have a couple of steelhead outings this winter.

I use to have a moon phase module on the front page. This was linked another website. Unfortunately, every time the host of the moon phase went down, it locked up the home page here because it would not load the module. This prevent the home page here from loading. :mad:

I thought about adding googles moon phase because I think it would be more reliable. Unfortunately, I am tied up with another project, and any modifications for here are on hold.

i go to the http://www.upnorthlive.com/weather/fish_and_game_report.aspx works for me gives me all the info i want to use. i live and die by this i have seen this in effect many days and a firm beliver on it.