Fowlin' lately

Adam Bomb

Well, i havent been on a whole lot lately because ive been out in the marsh after ducks. Despite a slow start things picked up midweek. Brother and i had a great shoot Thursday morning. We pulled a limit consisting of 8 gw teal, 2 pintail and 2 mallards. At one point we had 10 of our birds and had Pintail working the spread or landing in it. I bet we could have killed 30 of them easily...Of cousre we already had our alloted 1 pintail per man. Still fun to watch them work. Finally finished with a double on teal.

Greatmorning003.jpg

Greatmorning008.jpg

Hunted the same spot the following morning and managed 6 ducks. Not allot flying. 4 teal, 1 mallard and 1 wigeon.

Saturday morning we moved acrossed the marsh from where we were on Thursday and Friday and set up shop. We had birds coming in great, just couldnt hit em. I think i was rushing my shots and not getting my gun up all the way. Was getting quite frustrated missing these chip shots that i normally make. Bro wasnt helping any either as he was whiffing just as much!....Finally i slowed down and was actually able to eek out my limit and Eric scratched out 3 birds. Ended up with 9 for the morning. 6 GW teal, 1 black and 2 wigeon.

cottontops006.jpg

cottontops007.jpg

cottontops011.jpg

Hunted this morning. Temps were 27*, bluebird sky and calm winds. As expected not much bird movement. Only had a few come by all morning. Ended up with 1 black and 2 gw for our efforts. I also missed a nice drake wood duck that came scorching through at mach 3!!!

That's a great reason not to be on the board, out in the field doing what you love to do. Nice job... Now what do you do with all the birds? What I mean is how do you prepare them?

Thanks Jason. Waterfowling is definitely one of my passions. I really love it. Theres just something about seeing birds respond to your spread and callling that does it for me. Probably why i love turkey hunting so much as well. The interaction makes it so personal.:cool:

Anyhow, i use High Mountain Jerky cure in Wild Goose and make jerky, grind them with pork and add fresh diced jalepenos and onions and make duck burgers, bbq duck in the crock pot for bbq duck sandwiches and i just tried a simple recipe today that i saw on Hunt Fish Cook TV. Take a duck breast and rub it with olive oil, then season with salt and pepper. Put a little olive oil in a pan and get it good and hot. Put the duck in and sear it very quickly. Dont overcook it. The chef repeated it like 10 times throughout the segment, dont over cook the duck or itll taste bad, thats why noone likes duck, they overcook it. Anyhow, i cooked a mallard breast for like 2 minutes a side and that was about right. To check for doneness push down on it with tongs and if the meat seems springy, then its done. You should be able to cut it and it should be purple in the center. Well let me tell ya, i tried this today and its great. Will be doing more of that.

• 10 months later...