Reel storage and maintenance

dcralston

After I put the boat in storage this year i was going to break down a lot of my reels and replace the line on them. This got me wondering if there is anything else i should do when i have the reels empty. I have read before that you should have the reels "serviced" every other year or so. I regularly oil the worm gear and clicker switch but is there anything else I should do to preserve the life of my reels? I have spent WAY too much money on reels the last couple years and just want to make sure i am protecting my investment.

Thanks for the input!

Dave

Great post Dave! This winter I am going through my reels. I ordered a dozen clickers for replacements, as I have a few that are not working. Maybe this is why I slap people on the back of the neck when they dont turn the clicker off. :D I will also be lubricating all of the bearings.

I agree with the loosening the drag. I also try and get riders to take the clicker off until the fish is about to be netted. The reason I like the clicker on as the fish comes into the boat, I also like the lever back at this point. It saves rods.

I have also noticed that if line gets behind the spool it will effect the clicker and sometimes other reel functions. It's a good time of year to lube, and also pull the end caps to check for small pieces of line. Line behind the spool is more likely to happen when running 10# than when running heavier lines.:)

I like to clean the outside of the reel of any dirt and grime from the season. I also grease all the gears and bearings with reel grease. And as mentioned, back the drags off to keep from compacting the drag washers. I have a Penn 320 GTi and a Daiwa SG27LCA that need some service on the clickers after about 10 years of trouble free service. Ratchet gear on the Penn and the click spring on the Daiwa. I also have a couple that need the drag washers replaced. Gonna get the tournament drags from Tuna Tom in Ludington. Not too worried about line just yet. I'll do that in the spring.

Does anyone know how to repair a line counter, I bought a new rod and reel from Fish On this season, got it out and the line counter will not work....Convector 30. let me know if there's anything I can do besides take it back to Fishg On.

Does anyone know how to repair a line counter, I bought a new rod and reel from Fish On this season, got it out and the line counter will not work....Convector 30. let me know if there's anything I can do besides take it back to Fishg On.

There is a LC assembly you can buy and replace the defective one. If it was bad from the get go and less than a year old get Okuma or the dealer involved. It's probably covered. 1 800 GOOKUMA

Yes it is, Fish On emailed me last night they want to fix it over the weekend since we are coming over there this weekend anyways...Going to have the boat winterized and enjoying a nice weekend of sight seeing and Hoteling it with my Bride... YEah!!!!!!!!!!!!

What I do is take the line off every reel then clean the out side of it. I remove the side plate then spool and worm gear. If it's bad I tear the whole reel down but if it's not I grease the gears and oil bearings and spool shaft and worm gear parts.

I use Hot Sauce grease and oil on all of my reels casting spinning and trolling.

I hate this part as I always find worn parts and sometimes it takes weeks to get them.

Also remember if you take pict's of the reel it's easyer to put back together.

WFFF