trolling strategy (far far away)

toanton

Hello Guys, long time Im not be here. Glad to hear everybody again. Autumn salmon fishing will start here soon. About week ago I was on first autumn salmon fishing, to early. Need to wait about 2-3 weeks untill water temp go down.

few photos form last trip

P1050531_.jpg

P1050541_.JPG

special thank to Mike for Stinger spoons and blue fly, both fishes was caught on blue fly. Im upgrade my boat, setup 2 bigjon downriggers and now want to try different setups on them.

I have a question. here are areas were im trolling. (red lines) can you advice me any potential interesting places on maps ?

http://gurin.info/11.jpg

http://gurin.info/21.jpg

PS: most fishermas here don't use downriggers at all and try to troll in same areas that I marked or on the less depth. There are lots of traffic and I dont; like this.

Ill be very pleasant if you make any marks at the maps and send it to me on anton[]gurin.info or just give me any advice :grin:

Thanks

Anton, Thank you for the Photo's.

What speed do you troll at? We like to go 2.6-3.0 mph. or about 2.4 knots.

I would think you could troll any of these break line that are on this map.

Looks like a nice area to fish.

11.jpg

Edited by Nailer
Added map

Hello Mike. no. its lake trolling. I caught them on your flasher and fly. Gyus in boat was impressive. he he he. They can't believe that I caught fish on the fly.

The flasher/fly combination is a GREAT fish producer.

I was trying to find out more infomation about the fish you are catching. What species of salmon are they? Do they spawn in the rivers?

Its lake salmon. (yes, but its illegal try to catch fish in river.) as I understand fish fatten in the middle of the lake. somуtimes I can find huge baitfish balls on 20 meters.

If I find bait ball on 20 meters and the depth is about 50-70 meters how I should setup my downrigers ?

What flashers and flys I should use for example?

Should I circle around bait ball or I should go through it ? (as I understand big fish deeper that bait fish)

One of the biggest factors for catching fish, is water temp. They say chinook salmon(what we have in the Great Lakes) prefer 42-44F. The active ones can be caught in waters up to 54F. I have caught fish in warmer water. This was when they were staged in the fall for the run up the rivers.

In the fall you should be targeting areas closer to the river mouths.

If your finding bait at 20 meters i would run just your lures above it, in it and below it until you get something firing. Also, if the bait is real dense try and find the edge of it as, in my opinion, you have better luck because there is less competition with natural forage compared to your presentation. As far as your flasher and fly, dont be affraid to run them on a downrigger. I generally run my lead off the downrigger ball back 20-50' when using a flasher and fly. The deeper i fish or in the dark, the shorter lead i run. If im fishing higher in the water go with the longer lead. I agree with Mike, flashers and flies are great fish catching combinations. Normally when i run them on downriggers i stretch the leader out on my fly. I like to run 10" and 11" flashers off the riggers. When i do i have a 35-50" leader to the fly. Most times i fish them around 40" or so for my best succsess. Hope this helps.

How fast is your speed while you are trolling? Speed is just as important as water temperture. I generally troll around 2.7-3.0MPH on a GPS. Surface speeds do not take into account underwater current. What your are traveling on the surface is not what your baits are traveling underwater. The underwater speed is the critical one. One of the best ways of determining the correct speed without an underwater speed and temp probe is by watching the bend in a diver rod. Once you catch a fish, note what the bend is in your diver rod. On my boat and from where I stear, the ideal bend is the rod tip should be between the reel and the first eye on the rod.

Hello Frank glad to hear you too!

I want try to run 8" flasher with fly on the rod with snap weight, but im not sure what lead weight I should use. Is 5oz sinker will be enough to run flasher on 15ft depth ? maybe someone has experience with small canon balls. thanks.

Im not sure how deep a 5 oz. Sinker would take a flasher and fly. Theres allot of drag there. They will lessen the depth a dipsey and to a degree a downrigger with "X" amount of cable/line out because of their drag and the ensuing blow back. I think id run that on a 1/2-2# ball would be more practical. Maybe someone with more experience with this will chime in. Personally, id keep em on the riggers or dipseys.