Anybody doing any hunting?

phishtix

I haven't been out yet. Just picked up my all my licenses yesterday. You get a 15% discount if you buy four or more at the same time. Almost like getting one license for free. Got my combo, one antlerless permit for public land, one for private land, and one for small game. Planning on getting out tomorrow night after work and see if I can get me some tree rats. I promised a friend I'd make him some squirrel pot pie :)

Oh yeah, i definitely do some hunting. Used to do allot of deer hunting. We had a big lease, but the landowner priced me out. Hunting went way downhill anyhow. I do hunt a farm down state, but its moreso in rifle season. But, i still do a ton of turkey and waterfowl hunting. Early goose wasnt too good for me. Had some trouble obtaining permission this year. Three of the farms i normally hunt had the farmers relatives on them this season. Just some bad luck i guess. And the field i did have changed to more of a traffic field about three days before the first day. Too bad as it was loaded before them. I killed 5 geese for the early season and that was it. Dad put down 3. Today we went and scouted the marsh for the youth hunt this weekend. Lots of mallards and woodducks. Looking forward to the hunt. Hopefully Will can scratch a few down. If now, im sure we'll still have lots of fun anyhow.

Good luck when ya get out.

My first hunt of the season is usually for pheasants. This year may not be the greatest since we had to retire Maddie the Wonder Dog because she just can't get around too well:( Two years ago, we took five birds in the season, our best season since hunting on the land we have permission on. Last year, we did not even see one bird, not even a hen. But like all things, pheasants are cyclical and they'll be back. Good Luck!

Sorry to hear about Maddie, thats real tough. I dread the day my Britt Abby passes. Good luck on the birds this season. If you have food and habitat theyll come back. A friend of mine put all of his land into a program 150' wide from the ditch out and does allot of no till farming. He has pheasants to no end. NO, B.S., we have seen flocks of 50+ birds in the picked beans in December and January. We shoot maybe 10 birds each season and leave the rest for seed. Its amazing what has transpired over the last 8 years or so. Its a real special place and im very fortunate to be able to hunt here each year.

Sorry to hear about your dog flyman :(

I had to put my lab down this past april. All I can tell you is I cried my eyes out. One of the hardest things I've ever done. Everyone keeps telling me I need to get another one. I suppose I will someday, just not quite ready yet.

Best dog I ever had.

2792329635_27f2e542f5_o.jpg

He loved to go fishing with me. If he saw me getting my rods ready he'd get all excited :)

2793139302_107e8cf113_o.jpg